The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I street drive my '06 Elise. Am the first owner, nobody's else has ever driven it, and its never hit or touched anything.

Went to a couple of track days at Mosport over the last year or so, and was not happy with the way the car handled, notably its behaviour on right hand turns. Took out front shims, etc, but no real solving the RH "constant correction" issues I was having.:shrug:

Took the car out of winter storage a few weeks ago, and on the assumption that there must be an alignment issue (thanks to the many posts on the subject on this site), took it down to the alignment shop. Told the fellow (he does work for the dealer in Toronto, so knows the Elise) to pay special attention to the rear tow as I suspected the LH wheel suffered from toe out.

Well, the car measured in with 7/16" total toe out on the rear, with most of that on the LH wheel. Set the rears and fronts straight ahead, and the bloody car is COMPLETELY transformed even on the street:clap:. It seems to wander considerably less, turns in easier, and is HUGELY impeoved - I can't wait to get back to Mosport!!!

Moral of the story - I am, once again, an idiot.:wallbang: I should have done this a year ago. I should have known better period (have been an active club racer of formula cars for over 20 years). In my view, based on this experience of others' on this site, nobody should take delviery of a new Elise without the dealer sending it out for an alignment check before delivery!

Cheers,
Bill

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My 2005 Elise's alignment from the factory was way out of the specification range as well. While it didn't effect handling noticably on mine, the tire wear was much improved after I got it aligned properly (other than me running more negative camber).

The message is, don't trust the factory's alignment!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts