The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone still get their alignment done the "old" way instead of what you'd get at a local Discount Tire shop anymore, and what are your opinions about it? I was also wondering if one was better than the other. I had the E430 done, and it seems just as good as it being done electronically. I'm not sure how the mechanics did it (frankly I know very little about the mechanics of a car), but they didn't have the modern equipment and computers that I'm used to seeing.

·
Registered
643 Posts
A lot of people feel the "old" way (with strings, etc) is much more accurate than the computerized alignment rack, and insist on it being done that way. Plus, you're guaranteed to get someone who knows what they're doing.

Jim

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I helped a friend set up a Formula Ford using the "string method". It was very time consuming and we did lots of computations. Not something I'd like to do often, but quite doable.

The "old fashioned" method uses the same principles as the new computerized methods. The difference is in the skill of the the guy using it. It's much easier to learn to use the new computerized systems. The older ones needed someone that understood a bit more of what they were doing.

I used to have a similar problem with my Elan years ago. The typical computerized dynamic balancing machine didn't do a good enough job. But I found a shop with a dynamic balancing machine from the '50s, and most important of all, the guy from the 50s that knew how to use it. Perfect job.

The best way of getting a good alignment is to ask around. Anybody that is really in to auto-crossing, racing, etc. should know who in town is good at alignments. Go there. The quality of the skilled operator is much more important that the quality of the machine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts