The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience/can make recommendation on camber/caster tools? SmartCamber and Fastrax seem similar, but I'm not finding much detailed info on either. Thanks. -L

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
L,
I am in the process of purchasing this item for my spec 944 i just bought, and will also need it for my swift db-1.
my swift has a flag alignment system that came with the car, but i have not used it, and am not completely comfortable with it.

That said;
I have seen some cheap ones that work OK, that use only a bubble level and the # of turns(= degree of camber) on a screw to measure the camber.
they will work, but are not going to be very useful to duplicate a set up the next time at the track with much exact(key word here) accuracy.

I am leaning towards this gauge from longacre, or the smartcamber.

LongAcre Digital C/C Gauge w AccuLevelâ„¢ and Quick Setâ„¢ Adapter - SafeRacer

i am going with this one from longacre because it does not need an extra attachment to be used for castor as the smartcamber needs.

here is the link for the smartcamber gauge

Pegasus -Smart Camber Kit, Digital Gauge & Camber Frame

I used this one(link below) for setting up my spec 944 at the shop, and its OK and its cheap. it will work just fine, but you wont get super accurate fine tuning that you will get with a digital gauge, or the exact(you will get really close with it though) repeatablitiy. good enough for HPDE days for sure IMO.
eBay Motors: Caster - Camber Wheel Alignment Gauge / Autocross (item 300244557706 end time Jul-30-08 16:39:03 PDT)

the fasttrax is similair to the above gauge, as i believe it is using a bubble level for measurement.
I feel for the same price i can get a digital one from longacre or smartcamber, then its a good investment over the fasttrax.

If i was getting a bubble gauge, i would get the cheapo no-name one i showed the listing for on ebay instead of the fasttrax. the cheapo worked just fine, but i like to have precise tools, and the results usually show.

it also depends on your usage and needs. for example, are you just checking camber, and doing a ~ setting, and thats it.............go for the cheapo.

I need something that i can duplicate with some precision what my setup was for different tracks that a race on. my set up is going to be different on my car at most tracks if i want to get the most out of the (formula)car, which i do want to attempt to do. for this need, i want the digital gauge.

let us know what you choose, and how you like it.
Fishguy

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS!

OK Fishguy,

I'll check out your links. My use is for a car I'm building (sort of a Westfield Eleven, much modified), my Elise for autocross and my 'normal' car just because I'm particular but don't want to pay someone else to mess with my stuff.
The digital feature definitely sounds good. Cheap but vague is not what I'm looking for.
Thanks again. I'll let you know what I buy and how it works out. L.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts