The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Northern VA would be a nice thing. I want these guys to know what they are doing. I can bring in the current specs.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
I would suggest researching places in the local area and maybe do a recon. Supervise the first time they do it. Then make a decision whether to stay with them.

I went to a local place and talked to the alignment guy about the car. He lets me watch and I'm quite happy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
What are the dos and don'ts one should watch for with alignments on these?
Are there differences in machines? Is any one better / more preferable than another?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Well the main "do" is whether they set them to your settings or want to set them for front positive camber, toes-in like a normal should have.
If they will not set it to how you want, then it does not matter how accurate or repeatable it is. It is not like rocket science.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Check out Ptuning in Manassas Va. Justin is the tech that does Silver_surfer and my alignments. You'll be the 3rd Lotus to go there so the only celeb status you'll get is because you have an Exige.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
mOlson at RRT owns, or did, a Sport Elise. He should know something about setting alignment and ride height.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
What are the dos and don'ts one should watch for with alignments on these?
Are there differences in machines? Is any one better / more preferable than another?
One thing to be very careful about is the "Factory Specification". The published specifications is all the shop has to (legally) look for (set). It is quite a huge range. If your suspension is within the official published range, the shop is not legally required to even touch your settings and they will charge you the full amount! And tell you the car is within specifications.

I have found that if I ask the shop to give me a "performance" wheel alignment, where I give them the exact specifications, they might charge you a little more, but set it to within 0.1 of a degree of what I wanted.

There is no real differences between machines...they all measure angles and quite well. The differences are in the setup, calibration and maintenance of the equipment. If their equipment is not calibrated, what good is it? If the technician does not take care of setting up the alignment equipment on your car and calibrate it on your car, you will get poor results. So, it is all about the shop, not the equipment.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sam, took her out yesterday to blow out the cobwebs before the snow dusting came through!

While we are known as a BMW shop our race shop supports all makes. We are also EuroMotorcars Lotus partner for their track and race needs which includes alignments and shock dyno and are the regional Ohlins service center.

Racing | RRT ? Service and Racing

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may stop by this Thursday not in the Lotus but in the 335 which also needs a few electrical gremlins fixed. We can talk about the Lotus at that time too, it's a good thing you service Ohlins too.

Whom should I ask for?

Cheers!

·
Registered
191 Posts
****, Mike or Wayne will be there to answer your questions. Don't forget to ask for a ride in our Dinan S3 Ohlins equiped 335. Thank you for considering us!!

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks RRT

Matt, I stopped by on Thursday to talk about the TPMS issue displaying in red on the dash and within 30 mins they were fixed!

I'll setup an appointment for next month for the Lotus.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is there a good Lotus turner/shop in Maryland?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts