The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at a track day with the BMW guys at NJ Motorsports park this weekend and the owner of an all carbon fiber exige was there running the event as well.

Didn't have my camera, but apparently someone did at SEMA 2007

Turns out he also did an engine swap, new rear subframe, new suspension bits, etc. etc. Had a guy from Newman-Haas do the suspension work.

Best of all he was tracking the car. The owner and his friend who was helping on the wrenches were both the nicest folks and it was a pleasure talking with them and BS about racing and lotus.

Adam

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was a general laugh around the paddock about the Exotics Rally guy (a black vette, I think) that went off track on the parade lap.

You hear what happened?

Adam

·
Registered
351 Posts
I wonder if they would try a similar approach, i.e. carbon fiber, with a S2 model!! That would be something. :drool:

Are they selling S1, or was it a one-off.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yours for the price

Apparently they've got the molds for the S1 and have done about 4 of them. I think this is the only US car. Doubt S2 is a plan until someone comes up with the money.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I wonder if they would try a similar approach, i.e. carbon fiber, with a S2 model!! That would be something. :drool:

Are they selling S1, or was it a one-off.
That S2 car already exists. It's in my track warehouse. The Newman Haas mechanic you refer to also works on my Diasio. I saw the S1 at his shop this past winter when I was getting my Diasio worked on.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Apparently they've got the molds for the S1 and have done about 4 of them. I think this is the only US car. Doubt S2 is a plan until someone comes up with the money.
Benetec made 3 bodies before Lotus got all over him for infringing on their patent for the body design. Other then mine, there are 2 others in Japan. It is my understanding that Benetec will no longer make them after coming to an agreement with Lotus and both avoided legal fees. Lotus has no plans to buy them from the 3 owners. Basically they just can't make them anymore. So mine is it for the States.

I posted some on track video from inside the car last week on you tube.

Here's a few links.....

YouTube - Diasio D962R & Carbon Fiber Turbo Elise @ Autobahn CC

YouTube - Lotus Elise Carbon Fiber Turbo @ ABCC North Track

Also................

dpmolloydc1950.googlepages.com
(link at bottom of Directory page takes you to our Lotus pages, we haven't updated it in a while though)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Do any vendors sell the Benetec front clam in the states? I like how they removed the indicators and put them almost hidden under the headlights. Those Toybox wheels and that drop look sooooo goood!

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Benetec made 3 bodies before Lotus got all over him for infringing on their patent for the body design. Other then mine, there are 2 others in Japan. It is my understanding that Benetec will no longer make them after coming to an agreement with Lotus and both avoided legal fees. Lotus has no plans to buy them from the 3 owners. Basically they just can't make them anymore. So mine is it for the States.
I posted some on track video from inside the car last week on you tube.

Here's a few links.....

YouTube - Diasio D962R & Carbon Fiber Turbo Elise @ Autobahn CC

YouTube - Lotus Elise Carbon Fiber Turbo @ ABCC North Track

Also................

dpmolloydc1950.googlepages.com
(link at bottom of Directory page takes you to our Lotus pages, we haven't updated it in a while though)
Do any vendors sell the Benetec front clam in the states? I like how they removed the indicators and put them almost hidden under the headlights. Those Toybox wheels and that drop look sooooo goood!
Read the above quote :rolleyes:

·
Registered
787 Posts
oh, yea reading that would have helped...I was in a hurry....they need to turn the mic down on the camera next time they film on the track;)
Volume is set automatically within the lens head, sorry. I can't adjust it however you could turn the volume down on your computer and accomplish the same thing. The car is topless with no side windows and with the wind turbulence and going 120 MPH it's going to get a little noisy anyway.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks for noticing!

That K24 engine swap is working really well. The car performs beyond expectations and is reliable as well.

We've had a problem blowing out a CV already, but we think that's been solved by the driveshaft manufacturer.

Anyway, the point is that this was always intended to be a track car and NOT a show car. we just showed it anyway, and that extremely cool aforementioned owner was kind enough to let us do it. He's one of a kind and one of the greatest people I've ever met.

All of us here enjoyed this project immensely.

The guru over at Newman Haas is extremely talented to say the least about the man. DPM and I are very lucky to know him, I'm blessed to call him my friend.

·
Registered
155 Posts
So I was at a track day with the BMW guys at NJ Motorsports park this weekend and the owner of an all carbon fiber exige was there running the event as well.

Didn't have my camera, but apparently someone did at SEMA 2007

Turns out he also did an engine swap, new rear subframe, new suspension bits, etc. etc. Had a guy from Newman-Haas do the suspension work.

Best of all he was tracking the car. The owner and his friend who was helping on the wrenches were both the nicest folks and it was a pleasure talking with them and BS about racing and lotus.

Adam
I spoke with the friend for a while, too. The carbon fiber looks great. However, he said they're going to paint the car silver to protect the CF.

Sam

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
DPM I remember seeing what must have been your car for sale at RPM cars in houston a few years ago. It made me smile.....

·
Registered
787 Posts
DPM I remember seeing what must have been your car for sale at RPM cars in houston a few years ago. It made me smile.....
Thanks. I've done a lot more to it since I bought it to make it even better than it was. I have it on EBAY now, time to move on to an even faster car. It's fun, fast, reliable and just a plain hoot to drive. I've pretty much made it bulletproof for track use and spent a lot of time sorting it out with suspension tuning. It handles absolutely perfect, no over or under steer and you can get some drifting in the turns if you want but that's real hard on the tires so I don't do much of that. I've yet to go off the track with it, very controllable in the turns. Not as fast as my Diasio but that's a whole different beast.

I've got my sights set on a Nissan GTR, Lotus 2-Eleven, Porsche GT3 or possibly another Diasio but with the turbo package to it (435HP) in a 1300# car (sick!). I hit my 2 year mark for keeping the Elise. The ForcedFed mule is probably the only other Elise out there that I know of that can out run it. I'm not sure about the S1 with the different engine on this thread, it might be in the same ball park, don't recall the HP, mine was suppose to be 275 but the dyno says different, closer to 325 at the crank. We had it out last weekend a ran Saturday and most of Sunday with both cars on the North track. Bikes had the South. A few of the bike racers wanted a ride in the Diasio so Ryan took them out and terrified them. His lap times were well ahead of the bikes so that impressed them.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Are Diasio street legal???

That carbon fiber exige is "TH3 S3X"..lol

·
Registered
787 Posts
Are Diasio street legal???

That carbon fiber exige is "TH3 S3X"..lol

No way. First thing is that it's 2" off the pavement so that would make it interesting on speed bumps and pot holes for starters. I looked into it on my previous car, a Diasio 962IRS and there was just too much red tape to go through. Engine would not pass emissions like it is. No heat, no AC and windows are fixed so that's a no go too. No radio the only music is 8500 RPM

The height of the car is too low to even meet bumper height requirements, even if it had a bumper. No horn or signals but that's easy enough to fix.
The purchase agreement also has a clause that it will not be driven on public highways.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts