The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang... Which tires (if either) should I take from San Francisco to Buttonwillow this coming Tuesday? I will be driving 260 miles each way, plus logging about 2 maybe 2.5 hours of track time. I'm only concerned about safety, and logging the miles described above without incident. Stickiness/performance on the track is of no concern. Should I go for:

(1) My street tires. Yoko AD07s. The most worn tire is shown. I have between 1/32 and 2/32 of tread left on the most worn tire, the right rear, as shown. Is this tire good for the entire trip? The other three tires I'm not particularly concerned about. They look better. (Thanks Thunderhill Turn 2 -- I think you singlehandedly scrubbed away about half of this tire's life.)

or...

(2) My RA1s. Again, I have attached a photo. I can't remember if this is my left or right rear, but both tires look just about the same. Think this set is a better bet? I know the RA1s get stickier and sticker as you eliminate the tread, but this is my first set of them, so I have no reference points, especially when it comes to lifespan.

or...

(3) Get new tires for this trip, because neither set has 650+ miles of use left.

Thoughts? I'm not worried about water evacuation; I'm worried about cording. And if nothing else, I'd like to know if anyone would drive those RA1s from SF to Willows for a two-day event. :)

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
RA1s

I would drive that distance on them.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
why would you make the effort to go to the track for anything other than spectating on banana skins.
seems like a waste of time.
you are going to need new tires anyway, why not get them BEFORE you go to the track rather than after going to the track?

think how much more fun it would be to go to the gym and play basketball on the hardwood floor with the guys when you have on sneakers, like everyone else. your showing up with just your socks.............not much fun.

·
Registered
975 Posts
the AD07s would be fine if they are not heat cycled.

for that long of a trip though i'd opt for new rubber and burn up the others at a later date. its all for naught if you get a flat halfway coming or going (or worse, on the track) . . . .

beware the the freeway gators on I5. they got me last time going to buttonwillow, and i have a cracked front clam to show for it.

have fun!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why would you make the effort to go to the track for anything other than spectating on banana skins.
seems like a waste of time.
you are going to need new tires anyway, why not get them BEFORE you go to the track rather than after going to the track?

think how much more fun it would be to go to the gym and play basketball on the hardwood floor with the guys when you have on sneakers, like everyone else. your showing up with just your socks.............not much fun.
Well... Ok... This is the first time I have ever been at this track, so I have no track times I'm trying to beat, nor even any track times for reference. It's not a competitive event, and there is something to be said for driving on banana skins, no? Grip is a moving target anyhow, and it's all relative.

I mean, you don't want tires that are absolutely GONE and heat-cycled out, but these RA1s aren't (at least they weren't last time I drove on them!). I have faith in the rubber; I just don't know enough about RA1s to know how much tread is left on the them, and when they'll cord. Now, as far as getting a new set, I could do that, but I don't want to throw away tires that have plenty of life left on them. I'm not completely cheap (just moderately cheap), but I don't want to be rash with my money if the only thing I might be sacrificing is some performance.

FWIW, a number of racers (road course guys) on a private mailing list told me they would run the RA1s. All votes so far have been for the RA1s, and no one has shared words of alarm or caution.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
FWIW,

I have driven to track events on RA1s just like that. I also have driven them to cord at a track event in Las Vegas. I think you will not have a grip issue. The wear on the road down is minimal. Seems like a good amount of tread left anyway. Just don't drift around the track trying to scrub off the rubber.

Heck it looks close to how I used to buy mine shaved. :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
I think either set could do the job done. I personally go with AD7. I always had those on my car and I trust them for the road trip.

But if safety is your main concern, brand new tires are definitely safer than 2/32".

·
Registered
413 Posts
The AD07s are great right up until they're not. When they go off, they really go off.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Worst case - Buttonwillow has a tire shop on the premises. You may want to call them, order your new set of tires, and drive down on the RA-1's. Do your track day, then have them mount/balance your new tires & drive home on the new tires. R888s or whatever. :)

cheers,
-Darryl

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Worst case - Buttonwillow has a tire shop on the premises. You may want to call them, order your new set of tires, and drive down on the RA-1's. Do your track day, then have them mount/balance your new tires & drive home on the new tires. R888s or whatever. :)

cheers,
-Darryl
Great idea

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great idea
Indeed! I had no idea. Thanks, Darryl. FWIW, I secured transport for my RA1s, so I should be good to go. But it's nice to know I can burn through them, throw the street tires back on for the last session, and then have the R888s mounted before I leave. ;-)

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
I'm with Randy. My rear RA-1s are bald like Mr. Clean. I figure I still have a couple sessions out of them. If the weather is clear (no rain) I don't give driving to the track with them a second thought... That said, one has to figure those cords are getting close so R888s are on order:)

Run the RAs:up:

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The RA1 in the picture looks almost brand new to me. The last time mine looked like that was about 2000 highway miles and eleven twenty-five minute track sessions ago. They're still good to go for more too. Trust me when I tell you that you've got a lot of life left in that tire.

xtn

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Agree with XTN. The RA1's last forever, if you can see any visible tread at all they're not even close to cording.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone -- very helpful! :bow:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts