The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I want your opinions and thoughts on this topic -- for the past 7 years, I've allocated a large portion of my income into physical, tangible assets. I've had incredible success thus far, especially though precious metal bullion. However, I'd like to put some money in something other than bullion and real estate and I've been thinking about purchasing rolex watches for this very purpose (not to mention I love watches). These aren't necessarily going to be used as 'investments,' rather a way to switch from the paper dollar to an item that I can enjoy that will somewhat hold its retail value. What are your opinions? For those who have sold their watches, can this be done somewhat quickly and at/near their retail value (considering the watch wasn't excessively worn, damaged, etc.)? I'd really appreciate any thoughts on this topic.

Thanks and take care,
Graham

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
You'd be better to buy used if retaining value is one of the goals of the purchase. If you buy right, then sure, you can do pretty well.

·
Banned
874 Posts
Not the BEST idea but.... try buying used like what he said^^

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I know if you do the Rolex "trade in program" with an authorized Rolex Dealer when you upgrade to a watch with a more expensive metal (SS to 2 tone, 2 tone to 18K gold, 18K gold to platinum, etc...) the jewler would only give you 50-75% of the retail value for the tradein. I don't know how well they sell in the secondary markets though...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Rolex Watches

Since you will buy most of the watches for retail it is hard to break even when you go to sell them.

Maybe try the collector watch end of the spectrum but, do your homework.

LPM

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Rolex prices go up pretty much every year, so if you hold onto your Rolexes, you should be able to get a decent amount for them.
Yeah, what he said. My parent brought there watches ions ago and they went up a lot in value. Mine after a couple years went up in value (as prices changed last year) even though I doubt I could sell it that right now as it's still too new. But give a watch 10/15 years it will be back up in value and sell for more.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I agree with what most have stated but, with today's economy, I doubt people are spending money on high end watches.

I have collected over 100 watches and now I am down to just 12 or so but in the mix of things, my father gave me an omega quartz watch that he purchased when he was only 20 and although the crystal is cracked, I am planning on repairing the watch and possibly keeping it even though it is small...I like big watches (52 mm types) and I also like chronos, skeletons and my favorites, mechanicals.

This might not answer your question but, seems like we all LOVE watches...btw, I have a thing for pocket watches also. :drool:

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Forget the Rolex. Go with Patek Philippe. Even with a bad economy, the super rich spend cash on things like watches and they don't seem to wear Rolex. You could sell your "old" Patek to some bazillionaire in 10 years for mega bucks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Forget the Rolex. Go with Patek Philippe. Even with a bad economy, the super rich spend cash on things like watches and they don't seem to wear Rolex. You could sell your "old" Patek to some bazillionaire in 10 years for mega bucks.
How true!

In the car industry, your $100-$300K cars aren't selling but the $1M cars have ABSOLUTELY no problems...go figure :shrug:

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Dunno.
On Avg Rolex's are said to increase in price 13% per year. So the one I bought my dad several years ago- if he were a tool and traded it in, he would still get more than I paid for it if they gave him 75% of the value.

Since I'm not rich, I don't know how this economy is affecting them. You would think it would be. If they are invested in Real Estate, property values are receeding. If they are in stocks- the market is down. Of course that being said I talked to a Ferrari/Maseratti salesman I know this weekend- and he had a record month last month.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
"Buy High, Sell Low " is MY motto !! I'm very successful at it !!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
"Buy High, Sell Low " is MY motto !! I'm very successful at it !!
I guess i shouldn't hire you as my financial advisor then rotfl

·
Registered
992 Posts
Hey all,
I want your opinions and thoughts on this topic -- for the past 7 years, I've allocated a large portion of my income into physical, tangible assets. I've had incredible success thus far, especially though precious metal bullion. However, I'd like to put some money in something other than bullion and real estate and I've been thinking about purchasing rolex watches for this very purpose (not to mention I love watches). These aren't necessarily going to be used as 'investments,' rather a way to switch from the paper dollar to an item that I can enjoy that will somewhat hold its retail value. What are your opinions? For those who have sold their watches, can this be done somewhat quickly and at/near their retail value (considering the watch wasn't excessively worn, damaged, etc.)? I'd really appreciate any thoughts on this topic.

Thanks and take care,
Graham
wow, as a fund manager, this just sounds like a very flawed idea, unless u're talking a teeny-weeny % of investable assets (in which case it's less relevant).

Pls consider your investments goals, and take into consideration the total cost of the investment, in this case would an annual inusrance premium be involved. Are your really willing to put a typical allocation, say 10-15% of lgterm, investable assets into a portfolio of timepieces w/o clearly understanding how theyve performed on a riskadjusted basis for the last 20+ years versus other options? yikes.

I truly cant see how this would be an efficient way to achieve longterm financial goals (wine futures anyone?) but if u insist on trying it, PM me for my friend's contact info. All he does is make a market in hi end watches (Brietling, Cartier, Longines, etc) and he knows Rolex well. He travels all over to get certain ones, and he rarely tells people to buy them new.

Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
wow, as a fund manager, this just sounds like a very flawed idea, unless u're talking a teeny-weeny % of investable assets (in which case it's less relevant).
+1

If you are bored with making real money on your investments, you can just send it to me :D

·
Registered
992 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey,
Thanks for all of the reponses! I really appreciate it! I'd like to clear up the misconception that this purchase would be used as an 'investment' -- I fully understand, that as far as investments go, there are much better ways to invest money with a much higher return. I'm not looking to necessarily profit from the rolex purchase -- instead, this would simply be a reallocation of assets from money in the bank to a tangible item that I can enjoy that keeps its value. For example, in the past, I've bought old American paper currency that's kept its value, plus a little every year. I don't see this as an investment for the reason that it's not bringing in much profit -- but it still retains its own value in the event that I needed the cash.

RoadDad,
Patek Philippe is an excellent recommendation! They're amazing watches -- I will look into them further!

Thanks,
Graham

1 - 19 of 19 Posts