The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my current cash flow situation, I've been thinking about all the cars I could almost buy in cash if I didnt buy the elise. The turbo miata and S2000 have come into mind.

So I was running errands nearby a Honda dealership, and I passed by the dealership 4 times only to be tempted by this yellow S2000 parked in front. Finally, I pulled in to take a look.

I told the salesman I was going mad waiting for the elise, and about all the money I would save if I just gave up and bought the S2000, certainly a very very nice car. So he let me take it out for a joyride around SD, screaming down the highway at 100+mph, and taking windy side roads to test out the handling. It was the best test drive ever!

That is one very nice automobile, and it was incredibly difficult to walk away! But I must maintain focus! Its just so hard to do when the elise arrival and final price of both the car and the insurance is still so uncertain.

Is anyone else tempted by other autos while waiting for the elise? Or have I officially gone mad?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have both an Exige and a S2000.

I was going to sell the S2000 for the Elise, but in the end I really don't think it is worth my S2000 + $20-$25K. Sure, the Elise is a great car, but for what I would use it for (weekend driving) it doesn't justify the extra cash.

Maybe if I didn't have the Exige I might think differently, but the S2000 is a heck of a car for $30K.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I've got an S2000, too. It's a lease, though... expiring in June.

Even if it weren't a lease, I'd probably dump it for the Elise when the time comes. I'm sick of it. That's not to say it hasn't been a great car for the last 3 years.... but 3 yeeeeeeeaaaaaars..... ugh... it's like being married.

PS - I've been calling around on Viper GTS Coupes listed on AutoTrader.com. I found a couple private sellers locally who are looking to dump 'em. Asking prices are in the range of 50k, though (for '98 - '00)... I'm not sure if I should go for it or just get a beater while I wait for the Elise.

What do you guys think the depreciation will be on a used Viper GTS over the next 6-12 months?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I looked at the s2000 about a month after I left my deposit.
It is a nice car, but the Elise will be rarer than the other cars, and will probably hold its value better. The Miata isnt as nice iMO, and I dont like turbos because if they break, they are expensive to fix.

Have you driven an Elise yet? It will handle a lot better.

When I was looking at houses I saw one that I liked with 3 bedrooms and a 2 car garage and it was in my price range and was almost going to buy it. There was another house on the street with 4 bedrooms and a 3 car garage for $25,000 more,
but I talked them down because the seller was stuck with 2 mortgage payments so it was only $15,000 more. Although it seemed a lot of money at the time, and I didnt need the extra room or space, I never regretted it because I knew that 15 years down the road when the mortgage was paid off, I would be glad to have paid the extra $1000 per year to get the extra space in case I got married, had kids or bought more cars.

It might be $8-10K more for the Lotus, which might seem like a lot now, but 5 years from now, you will be kicking yourself for not paying the extra $40 a week for the Elise. And by then you probably will have graduated, gotten a better paying job, gotten married and be expecting a kid and have to sell the Elise because its too hard to get into when your pregnant. But you will have 5 years of happy memories instead of 5 years of regretting what you could have had.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks xxxotic,

Those are the words I needed to hear...except for all that married, pregnancy, kids nonsense. :eek:

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Transio:

Get a beater, why bother paying sales tax on the Viper and the Elise. Plus the insurance on a Viper has got to be really high for you.

I saw the pictures of your totalled Bimmer, they must be killing you on the insurance living in Miami and having an accident on your record.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve,

I am so baffled that you, an elise lover, would be interested in a car like the viper! It certainly isnt my idea of a beater, nor will it be as fun to drive as the elise.

What dont you like about the S2000?

BTW, your new tagline is perfect ;) :D

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
meat said:
I have both an Exige and a S2000.

I was going to sell the S2000 for the Elise, but in the end I really don't think it is worth my S2000 + $20-$25K. Sure, the Elise is a great car, but for what I would use it for (weekend driving) it doesn't justify the extra cash.

Maybe if I didn't have the Exige I might think differently, but the S2000 is a heck of a car for $30K.
I think about buying an exige all the time. I want to move to Europe, find a used one, and buy one in cash!

If I had an exige, I wouldnt need an elise either. I think you've made a good decision.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Is anyone else tempted by other autos while waiting for the elise? Or have I officially gone mad?
It's a daily struggle, MW -- With the long wait, I constantly weigh other car options. But somehow, I always come back to the Elise

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
xxx,

I honestly haven't even looked into insurance yet... but you're right... I'm paying near $300 / month for the S2000 :eek: can't imagine what insurance on the viper would run !!! I dunno what I'll do... but I'm certainly gonna price it all out when it comes time to make a decision.

That reminds me, I gotta do my taxes !!!

MW,

I love lots of cars. I love cars that handle well, but I love muscle cars at the same time. I even love luxury cars. What can I say?! I'm a car fanatic!!! The Elise is not "THE" car for me... but it's one of "THE" cars for me... it fulfills one aspect of my desire of cars... handling. The Viper fulfills another... TORQUE !!! There's no feeling like raw acceleration. I don't car how well your car handles... the lateral acceleration is a totally different feeling. For me, linear acceleration is just a different sensation.

As for what I don't like about the S2000.... well, lack of TORQUE is probably the biggest thing. But I also go through rear tires like a bejesus (oversteer is just too much fun !!!!) and my clutch is about to go with only 36,000 miles on the car. Oh, and I'm on my second transmission (the first one was crap)... and this one is crap, too. Second gear grinds every time I come out of a corner really fast. Someone told me once why it does it... and there's a fix for it... I don't remember what it was, though, and I just don't care enough to do anything about it. It's not my car, after all... and Honda won't inspect the transmission without me risking an $800 service fee if they don't find anything wrong with it. Oh yeah, that's the other thing I don't like about it. My local service center is full of a-holes. This is miami, though, what else could you expect?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
Thanks xxxotic,

Those are the words I needed to hear...except for all that married, pregnancy, kids nonsense. :eek:
I remember when my friends started getting married. One sold her Fiero because they need a bigger car so she bought an Accord, then she had a kid and her husband sold his TR6 because it was a pain to put the car seat in and take it out all of the time.

I told them that if I ever mentioned buying a minivan, to just shoot me, my life would be over.

Now I know why Porsche and BMW are selling SUVs. Trying to recapture the lost sales from people who cant drive their other models.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Wow, I'm really glad I ran across this thread. I feel better knowing I'm not along in considering other cars because the Elise isn't here yet.

Turth is, I'm having a real hard time waiting for the Elise. I have two sports bikes as it is, and the Elise isn't going to be much more practical or as fun to drive as either bike. Hence, I've been really thinking about an RX8. Specifically, selling a bike and keeping an RX8 as a "beater car" and keeping the Elise as 4 wheel bike.

Then 1FASTMX5 had to put that thread about the K1 Attack. Now, I'm really confused! http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2699

MODERN WEDGIE: I don't think the price difference between the Elise and S2000 is going to be a very huge in terms of monthly payments. Are you sure it's not a case of "instant gratification," since the S2000 is available now? If both were available right now, which you choose? "Instant gratification" is what my friend said when I told him I wanted an RX8 now and postpone the Elise till December. Also, I can't really see myself paying for a depreciating object in full, when that much could be used toward investments or things that appreciate (ie: Instead of $35K toward an Elise, how about $5K on a low interest loan and $30K invested in long term stocks?)

TRANSIO, if you're interested, Woodhouse Dodge has lease special on the SRT10 Viper. I think it's $1,000 down and $999 a month for only 36 months. Woodhouse is a sponsor on the Viper board. BTW, I think I read somewhere that Vipers are one of the most expensive cars to insure. I wonder if it has something to do with the 500hp? ;)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:

Aren't we all mad after a fashion? ;) However, related to this particular one...I don't think your daft at all. You are just thinking logically and reasonably, a good car, good track record for reliability, save a lot of money and not get over extended. A lot of us are in that boat. However, what makes us palpitate for the Elise has nothing to do with reason, logic or practicality. It's a viceral and passionate lust. Stay the course and I suspect you'll be happier.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I have a problem with instant gratification. Act now, deal with the consequences later. However, I've yet to have any regrets. Then again, I'm only 24.

The RX-8 is a very nice car. I think that if there was no elise, I would have upgraded my celica to that.

However, I think about buying used RX-7s, Supras, and TT Z's quite often (pretty much everytime I see one drive by). Yesterday I even thought of spending my money on a proper SCCA race car and license, and keeping my beater, rather than waiting for the elise.

I'm just stir crazy.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:

I'm just stir crazy.
I'd blame it on cabin fever but you live in sunny SD.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Waiter's support group session 2: Stay focused on the goal.

Allan's story:
Unfortunately, instant gratification can really end up bitting you in the long run. The last time I was on a waiting list was for a bike I REALLY liked. Six months into the wait, I bailed out and got a "compromise." The bike I really wanted came three months after that. And it hurt to see it go!

A few months after that, a used version showed up at a dealer. Damning my budget to h#@ I got the used one and struggled to support two bikes.

In the end, I sold the "compromise" bike (the one I didn't really want but got because it was available). I would have saved a lot of money if I had jus got the one I wanted. I'm using that prescedence to TRY and stay focused on the Elise.

Hope that helps. Sorry, I need to cut this short. I have to finish my e-mail inquiry to the maker of the Attack Kit car! ;) Just joking. I sent the e-mail inquiry this morning! :D

mmmmmm. instant gratification. :):D

·
Registered
148 Posts
A couple of months ago, I did the same thing and test drove a S2000. But driving the S2000 even a year after driving the 120hp euro spec Elise, there was no comparison. I imediatley scratched the S2000 off my short list. Well, on a whim, my buddy and me went down and looked at 1960's Cooper S's. Well, I was thrilled! Ended up buying one. It is NOT a replacement for the Elise but its definatley a fun car in its own right. Now, I am frantically saving up $$$ and finding ways to sell off stuff so I can once again, afford to buy the Elise. Yeah, I went for immediate gratification but I think, in this case, it'll work out!

Jose Soriano

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm definitely into "Instant Gratification!"

I'm won't get my Elise until November at the earliest, though it's likely it'll be January/February.

In the interim, I have daily transportation and don't really *need* anything else. But I convinced myself that I wanted a "fun car to drive every day" while waiting for the Elise. So I ended-up buying a brand-new 2003 Mustang Mach 1. With the rebates, it was very affordable and it fulfills my fun quotient for "linear" acceleration (as Transio put it) and the Elise will fulfilly my handling craving.

Now I have to try to figure out where to put all my cars! Ugh...

Bob

1 - 20 of 59 Posts