The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving the Elise, and what I believe to be a coyote shot across the road... scared the hell out of me. I've never seen one in person before. How much would that hit have cost if it happened? The thing was really quick and agile.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
They're everywhere except Hawaii. I thing they're smart enough to find their way out there, too. The further north you go, the larger the native coyotes are, so I'm guessing an urban dumpster-munching Northeastern coyote could be 60 pounds fully grown. That collision probably would have cost a bundle. They'll eat anything, including clams. ;)

There's a den of 50 pound coyotes living the little wetland in the field next to our building. Our rabbit population has declined precipitously. And, come to think of it, I haven't seen many weiner dogs lately...

They can be convinced they are dogs, but I don't necessarily recommend trying it.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Last Saturday at 2am, right in the middle of the street leading to my house, a coyote was munching down on my neighbor's cat :(. It was hungry enough to keep eating and only starting to flee when I was within 50ft or so. It ran straight down the middle of the road with me right on its tail in my FJ Cruiser. One more shift ... and crunch ... but alas I didn't have the heart. I know they are basically a crow that just looks like a dog, but the fact that it looks like a dog saved its life.

Nice pic - but I wouldn't leave a cat around one if I were you. I went back to check out what was left of the cat and it was literally half a cat. Mr Coyote ate the whole front half clean, head and all.

Studied up on them a bit after my incident and they are really an amazing predator.

·
Registered
912 Posts
A buddy of mine lives at the top of the hill, he once caught a pack of coyotes trying to lure his dog away from the house as the others hide out of sight. Luckily he call in the dog before they had a chance to strike.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Those are the kind of stories I've heard. Your friends dog would have been dinner.

There are a lot more of them around than people think because their senses are so much keener than ours. They hear, smell and see you long before you see them.

I'm not into hunting, but I understand the thrill guys get for hunting Coyotes. They play recordings of birds and rabbits in distress and set up mechanical flopping birds to lure them in, then blam. They are hunting YOU, then bang. lol. Sorry, I know I am sick in the head but that actually sounds doable to me. More so than shooting something running away from me.

The more I think of it - I should have mowed that bastard down. Now he's probably going to munch on a few more neighborhood pets, even in backyards and such.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I could never find a coyote to hit ;) but I almost hit a wild boar in France. My little Renault rental cresting a hill with wheels very light and the beast in the air, crossing the road. That night the restaurant had boar on the menu. Guess what I had? (Properly washed down with a Billecart-Salmon rosé)

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
That is odd usually Coyotes use mass transit

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
When given the chance I'll always kill the coyote. Unless, of course, it is at the expense of my Lotus.

There are too may of them.

wish they would learn to eat buzzard.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Holy Coyote

While in Yellowstone National Park a few years back I got to see a pack of three of them chase a fawn deer into the Yellowstone River and attempt to kill it. The fawn swam away and the Mother Doe came to the rescue. They are very cunning and vicious when on the prowl for food. Yikes watch your outdoor cats... :sheep:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It ran straight down the middle of the road with me right on its tail in my FJ Cruiser. One more shift ... and crunch ... but alas I didn't have the heart. I know they are basically a crow that just looks like a dog, but the fact that it looks like a dog saved its life.
rotfl

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
When given the chance I'll always kill the coyote. Unless, of course, it is at the expense of my Lotus.

There are too may of them.

wish they would learn to eat buzzard.

Wish I could say the same about people. Way too many of em but there are these dumb laws that keep me from doing so. There's a pack by where I live and I hear them hootn and howln every so often. Ive run 15' from my drive way to my door at night a few times cause I can hear em but cant see em. I hit a 60 lb deer in my suby and that was $3k dmg. I hit it doing 40. I couldnt imagine the dmg it would have done to an elise.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
saw one that was hit on the way to Vegas on Sat, at first thought it was a dog. Damn it was a mess.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I almost hit one morning on a skis.
First run on the long skis and was going pretty fast.
Would have made a mess out of both of us I imagine.
Using an Elise would be a better option IMO.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I like hunting them. It is sort of hard to do in GA because of the vegetation, but it is a blast. Out of about 6 hunts, I have called in about 5. I have only been able to shoot one though. They are very smart, and if they sense you at all, they are gone. Refinished a new Marlin 17 HMR to get them during small game season. 22.250 has been pretty solid for centerfire. They are really fun to hunt, but i still need a lot more practice on calling them in and choosing locations to call.

-Whit

1 - 20 of 20 Posts