The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
YOu still hear about people buying from a dealer at over msrp. I think most buyers are scared of scams etc on ebay so not necessarily a true market indicator. Tho certainly I think things have to be settling down.
Chris

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I'm sure that the fever will ease off as we go forward but expect that cars will continue to be made to order with a delay.

I wholeheartedly agree with the comment about Ebay. Especially since it is well known that such deals are hard to close. Since the dealer typically needs to cooperate as a third party in most cases. The thing is, an Ebay buyer is only bidding on a transaction involving one of the two needed parties on the car side of the matter. They could wind up getting nothing and paying for it. I wound up buying an early car and made no bids at all on Ebay.

Additionally, for those in parts of the country with a real Winter, the sports car season is nearing the end for this year. So many folks would not even be able to drive the car much until March / April 2005. I know of someone with a late fall car on order with a dealer who would prefer to delay receiving the car until early Spring time. Then again, they risk paying another price increase. Then again 2, there are rumours about new colors, options, interior changes and so forth.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It seems to me that those Elises on eBay that are private party cars (i.e. already purchased, not leased) might be an OK purchase. Caveat emptor, however.

I too wonder how things are going with Elise resale value. It seems that the hysteria is settling down and those Elise on eBay are selling for right around MSRP + tax and license. Maybe a tad more. But as Feffman indicated, people are getting "antsy" and trying to trade their Elise in only to find that they won't get what they want for it. That makes me wonder if some people who bought the Elise really understood what they were getting? It's not a GT car, but a pure, un-adulterated sports car. Maybe it's a bit too pure for some people and after the "new" wore off, they found they couldn't live with it?

The Bordeaux Elise on eBay looked good to me but was the wrong interior color. (I want Biscuit.) Personally, if I'm spending this much money, the car should be exactly what I want.

Bob

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if the car was any blue color or ardent with biscuit with tour/lss/hardtop, I would definitely buy it right now.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Does Lotus honor the warranty for used cars (subject to total miles and original purchase date)? I have seen warranties before that only apply to the original owner.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think the market will remain cool until next spring...then with more on the streets and "convertible" season starting the seasonal regions of the country will really pick up demand.

I would prefer to recieve my car in April at this point, of course I am still way down the list so I will probably get it a year from now, doh!

I have bid on a few ebay Elises and this one looks like a pretty good option for anyone who NEEDS one now.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If the next-generation Elises look like the spy-photos, then prices on the current car may actually rise. ;)

Actually I am no fan of the spy-photo car and am concerned the weight gain will be large. But it's probably a few years off anyway.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
The bluegrass mini society is meeting tonight and sent out an email. One of the members of the group was chatting back and forth via our yahoo "mailing list" and said that she was trying to decide between a convertible mini and Elise. I posted back and said that she should probably decide soon since they're (elises) hard to get.

She responded by saying that she had already turned down 3 cars because she didnt want the color and they didnt have touring. She also said that she can have one ordered specifically for her by next summer. To my knowledge she's not on any waiting list.

I dont think she knows I have one or know anything about the system. I just emailed back to ask her where she's turning down all these cars. If she tells me I'll let you guys know. I'd love to know myself.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Here's what she said.

I can't share the salesperson name or location without maybe getting him into trouble. He has given me the opportunity over people who were waiting. The colors that I turned down were the bordeaux (which is my favorite color), but it had the yucky tan interior, the titanium storm and the yellow one. The yellow one was the one that I test drove, but I must have power windows and it didn't have them. My suggestion would be to visit a couple of dealers and find a saleperson that can be sweet talked....lol. I think the guy was so impressed with my son and his knowledge of cars that he is determined that I will have one.

I have no malice towards her because she's just trying to get a car, but I have to say that this type of situation is unfair to those who have waited forever and are still waiting.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The above is why it's SO important to establish a relationship with your dealer, ie don't give them a deposit and wait for the call, check in from time to time, drop by for visits, this way they'll know your passion for the vehicle and will remember you as an enthusiast and not just number 57.
Chriss

·
Registered
758 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
The above is why it's SO important to establish a relationship with your dealer, ie don't give them a deposit and wait for the call, check in from time to time, drop by for visits, this way they'll know your passion for the vehicle and will remember you as an enthusiast and not just number 57.
Chriss
It's also the reason why it's so important to have breasts and end every sentence with an exclamation mark.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am sending my girlfriend to the dealer immediately, she will probably come back with a few Elises!!

I will tell her to wear the "boob' shirt! Every lady has a couple boob/ass shirts just for these occasions.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I don't see what the issue is.

If she is willing to pay over sticker, of course there are cars available, as there are dealers willing to to make a few extra dollars to bring you to the front of the line.

I don't think it was her charm or her son's automotive trivia that seduced him into handing her a spot in line. :) Most car salespeople I've met don't know the first (or at least second) thing about the cars they are selling and have little patience for enthusiasts. Obviously there are some exceptions (some that post on this list). I've never been so fortunate as to deal with one when buying a car.

Anyway, I'd be tempted to call BS on this whole thing. Who would be deciding between a 4 seater convertible that is a watered down luxury/fashion model priced at ~$30k and a bare-bones roadster that has no luxuries and a much higher price tag.

No wonder she's turned down 3 Elises already... I think her mind is already made up.

- John

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I'm with you, Chris. I stopped in all the time, even expressed my concern over "line-jumping". I called weekly. They treated me great. Now, they also knew that I could be popping in at any time, and it would have looked really bad if they were unloading an Elise and I wasn't called. But I think developing a personal relationship with them was a great idea. They knew me and loved my passion, and I don't think they ever thought of screwing me at least partially because of it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts