The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to turn on the car today and the alpine head unit doesn't power up. I'm far from a car audio guru, but I replaced the fuse on the head unit, the one under the front access panel, made sure the red, yellow, and ground wires were seated securely and wiggled them a bit, and pressed the 'reset' button on the head unit. The face plate is also secured.

Anything I might be missing or do I need to go get myself an upgrade? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I went to turn on the car today and the alpine head unit doesn't power up. I'm far from a car audio guru, but I replaced the fuse on the head unit, the one under the front access panel, made sure the red, yellow, and ground wires were seated securely and wiggled them a bit, and pressed the 'reset' button on the head unit. The face plate is also secured.

Anything I might be missing or do I need to go get myself an upgrade? :shrug:
Fuses ok - checked
wiring inspection - checked
Head Unit inspection - did you remove and replace the face unit?

I had an alpine unit some years ago that liked to have the face taken off and replaced before working for me.

If this all does not work, you may want to remove the unit and have it bench checked to see if there is possibly a loose wire in the wiring harness.

Other than that, start shopping. Alpine makes a great bunch of replacement options, so don't despair.

good luck sir

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuses ok - checked
wiring inspection - checked
Head Unit inspection - did you remove and replace the face unit?

I had an alpine unit some years ago that liked to have the face taken off and replaced before working for me.

If this all does not work, you may want to remove the unit and have it bench checked to see if there is possibly a loose wire in the wiring harness.

Other than that, start shopping. Alpine makes a great bunch of replacement options, so don't despair.

good luck sir
Yeah, face plate was removed and reseated. How is the alpine CDE-9872 as a replacement? Looks like a decent unit and it's $130-ish.

Edit: Forgot to ask...as far as I can tell a new alpine HU would just be a plug and play with the existing harness...aside from additional things like audio interrupt for phones and such, correct?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yeah, face plate was removed and reseated. How is the alpine CDE-9872 as a replacement? Looks like a decent unit and it's $130-ish.

Edit: Forgot to ask...as far as I can tell a new alpine HU would just be a plug and play with the existing harness...aside from additional things like audio interrupt for phones and such, correct?
It's decent. I'd look at the new CDA 105 personally. It's a little bit niftier.

Yes. It should be plug and pray... and if not, there would only be 2 wires in need of a swap. They SHOULD be ok if you're replacing an Alpine with an Alpine.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's decent. I'd look at the new CDA 105 personally. It's a little bit niftier.

Yes. It should be plug and pray... and if not, there would only be 2 wires in need of a swap. They SHOULD be ok if you're replacing an Alpine with an Alpine.

Alpine says that won't be out until the end of march. That's a bit of a wait!

I appreciate your responses, by the way.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Alpine says that won't be out until the end of march. That's a bit of a wait!

I appreciate your responses, by the way.
No problem... Yeah, it's a wait... then you may want to consider your needs and your wants... do you use CD's? Do you have an iPod? If you do then you may want to grab a different iPod model.

It's really all about your needs.

If you want a CD player, the 9884 is the lowest way to go as it has a nifty internal amp and such.

If you have an iPod and want to make more use of it, this may be an opportune time to grab a nice x300 or x200

If you want both, the CD option is the way to go since you can use iPod control through that head unit...

For me, I don't use the radio. I can not [email protected]#$ing stand all the damned commercials and it's a crime to pollute the air the way they do. The iPod option would be nifty if I had one.

The Blaupunkt in my Elise has a multi-color display to match the color of the Elise dash... I like the blue Alpine display in contrast to the interior Elise dash colors.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem... Yeah, it's a wait... then you may want to consider your needs and your wants... do you use CD's? Do you have an iPod? If you do then you may want to grab a different iPod model.

It's really all about your needs.

If you want a CD player, the 9884 is the lowest way to go as it has a nifty internal amp and such.

If you have an iPod and want to make more use of it, this may be an opportune time to grab a nice x300 or x200

If you want both, the CD option is the way to go since you can use iPod control through that head unit...

For me, I don't use the radio. I can not [email protected]#$ing stand all the damned commercials and it's a crime to pollute the air the way they do. The iPod option would be nifty if I had one.

The Blaupunkt in my Elise has a multi-color display to match the color of the Elise dash... I like the blue Alpine display in contrast to the interior Elise dash colors.

So the stock alpine head unit bench tested correctly...must be a fuse I'm missing? :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts