The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed an Alpine ida-x100 this weekend. Easy install, and it's a great head-unit. I got tired of the factory Alpine 9820's ipod interface. It is simply too dangerous, and too difficult (read: impossible) to use.

I attached a pic of the final product. Looks factory, IMHO. The illumination changes from blue to red, and the red goes fairly well with the factory illumination around the a/c controls.

To call this install a "swap" would be inaccurate. The entire chassis mount needs to be removed (don't forget to replace the padding around the x100's chassis mount or the head unit will slide a little). And the Alpine harness plug needs to be swapped for the one with the x100 (Alpine now uses square pins instead of small round pins, apparently). I was a little disappointed at how unfriendly a swap it was to stay within the Alpine family. I could have just as well gone with any head unit for the labor involved... but I love Alpine so it was worth it to me (after some grumbling and cursing... they had to change the harness plug... why?).

You also need to remove the little plastic panel on the passenger side which looms the OEM ipod cable into the dash. You have to lose the OEM ipod cable and then enlarge the loom hole to accommodate the new ipod high speed cable and the new USB cable. Fortunately the dash does not need to come apart for this. Just loosen the passenger door sill trim, then take off the passenger cubby trim panel, then remove the two screws behind this panel which will give you enough slack in the panels in this area to remove the ipod cable trim plate. It just rolls out of its hooks counterclockwise after some wiggling.

Removing this plate would make general wire looming through this area easier as well, so it's good to know it can come out easily.

Once the little plate is out just dremel a larger loom opening for two cables and that's it.

The x100 is unique and VERY easy to use. I swear it even sounds better than the OEM 9820, even though it has the same 18wx4 internal amp. It is a perfect way to control the ipod from a single DIN interface. It features a 2" LCD display with many lines of resolution and a nice jogger-style triple-action dial to perform most of the feature navigation.

It DOES NOT have a CD player. This is perfect for me because I no longer use CD's anyway, nor do I carry them with me anywhere. I hate Mac, but looove my iPod. This has the added benefit though that the x100 is very light compared to the usual single-DIN head unit w/ a CD player mechanism. I'd say, without having actually weighed them, that the x100 is 3/4 the weight of the 9820.

It does have native iPod support, USB input (eg. for flash drive playback, tagging HD radio music, or for upgrades, etc.), HD-radio ready, XM/Sirius ready, and AM/FM. And it has a ton of nice configuration and tuning capabilities. It also supports Alpine's "Imprint" acoustic tuning, but I am using none of that.

I took more pics but they all came out fuzzy (my Pentax takes great daytime shots but anything dark, like the confines of the cockpit in the Exige, and it blurs out badly). This one is pretty representative though. Looks factory and fits factory.

Oh...one more thing...since the stock 9820 has built-in XM reception, you will need to get the Audiovox XM receiver for the x100. Bummer, but not a huge deal.

Next time I go into the dash I'll pull out the old 420i ipod interface, which is mounted behind the gauge cluster for some reason. But you don't need it for the x100... it has native iPod support... with newer iPod units you can plug the iPod directly into the USB plug, and get even more features (even Video I think). Otherwise just use the optional Alpine High-Speed ipod linkup cable and the iPod will plug directly into the back of the unit.

I had an iva-W200 in my Z, and loved it for tuning the Ipod and for tuning XM. The x100 brings back a lot of that usability, but in a nice compact single-DIN interface. Very satisfied customer here! Highly recommended for our cars if you've ditched CD's in the car like I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Nice.:up: I've been looking at that head unit too but would like to retain XM capability, so I'd have to find a place for the XM reciever and interface. Maybe the next time I'm feeling ambitious and take the dash apart...

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The XM receiver is small, and can go anywhere. You could either stickytape it up into the dash to the right or left of the radio bin. Or, take it a step further, and remove the cluster, remove the old 420i ipod interface, and put the xm receiver there. I'll prob sticky tape it in until I need to get into the dash further. It's really just a little box.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The XM receiver is small, and can go anywhere. You could either stickytape it up into the dash to the right or left of the radio bin. Or, take it a step further, and remove the cluster, remove the old 420i ipod interface, and put the xm receiver there. I'll prob sticky tape it in until I need to get into the dash further. It's really just a little box.
That's what I was thinking... I nearly had the cluster out when I replaced the instrument housing... which is where I found the XM radio antenna for the 9820... I have to check with the car stereo place again... he seemed to think I needed two boxes... an XM box and an interface box... on the other hand, it seems that if you go with Sirius, you only need one box :shrug:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's right...there are two small boxes to add, and I think you can reuse the existing antenna.

And if you have Sirius, then it is one, large Ai-net style device from Alpine. Sirius must have written the larger check.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't get the cam out at the moment, but it's just a USB cable that comes out of the back of the unit, and exits the dash at the same point as the ipod cable. So, imagine a USB cable (female end) laying next to the ipod cable in the aluminum shelf to the right of the radio, and that's pretty much it. You just plug the flash/thumb key into the usb cable and you're done.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The install takes a little longer than you'd expect. And if you use the XM feature of the stock head unit then you'll need to get the Audiovox add-ons to get XM to work with this head unit (it is "XM ready" as Alpine says). But aside from that minor annoyance it is a GREAT head unit and is perfect for our cars.. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi,

has the audio tuning got any better on the 100 model ?

i have the ida x001 and while the functionality of the unit is exactly what i want, setting of any audio option is reduced to bass/trebel/fade/balance ...

is the new version any better ?

Cheers

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you use the "Imprint" add-on devices, it can do a ton of audio tuning. Without the imprint devices you have b/t/f/b, as well as sub volume, high pass filter, low pass filter, low pass bandwidth, high pass center freq, and a couple other tunables. It's enough for me, and I think for most. Especially if you do not have high-end speakers, all the extra tuning would be a waste anyway (and even still..the Lotus interior has got to be horrible for acoustics, no matter what tuning aids you use).

Fortunately I'm learning that all my expensive high-end audio blaring of my youth :coolnana: has taken it's toll on my ears, so I can't discern fine tweaks anymore anyway. Makes for a cheaper mid-life. :) I can maybe tell you the diff between a paper cone and a titanium high response tweeter, and whether or not I feel bass hitting from my chest to my rectum, but that's about the limit of my sensitivity.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts