The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I keep reading posts from people getting cars all over the country that are higher on the list than I am. I understand that it depends on wherever Lotus can get a transport to and the number of Esprits you sold, but $hit, don't tell me that the Pennsylvania dealership sold more Esprits than Criswell did here, in the Washington, DC area (I see a bunch around here).

Who can I call? My dealership seems completely impotent when it comes to getting a straight answer out of Lotus. All they can tell me is that they're sorry, but they can't tell me when my car will be delivered. What they DID tell me (probably much to their chagrin now) is that my car has been HERE, in the US, for several weeks and is just waiting for a transport to my dealership.

They claim that's it. That's all that's between me and my f'n car.

My loan rate has gone up since the car was supposed to be here. And I've been renting an expensive parking spot for the car for over a month now.... the wait is now costing me.

Can anyone tell me who I can call that's above my dealership/salesperson? I really think that my salesperson at Criswell is being honest. I think it's Lotus that's f'ing with them. When I hear of "extra" or "bonus" cars being delivered to other dealers (especially with my exact colors and options) while I'm #3 (or #2 after the demo) pisses me off.

I want answers.

I used to be able to call Arnie when I had an M100 Elan... who can I call now?

Anyone?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
From what I know, it's neither your dealer nor Lotus.

The company in charge of transporting screwed up relative to delivering Criswell's car.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Randy Chase said:
From what I know, it's neither your dealer nor Lotus.

The company in charge of transporting screwed up relative to delivering Criswell's car.
Sounds dodgy to me. We get shipping screw ups all the time. A two week domestic delay hasn't happened yet. Even when shipping to Texas :)

If the simplest answer if often the right one, things don't look good when there's 'extra' cars showing up ....

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Sean, I'd be totally flummoxed and upset in your shoes. Something is amiss and nobody is getting you answers.

I'd call the front desk at Lotus USA, let them know you have an unusual problem, and see who they can put you in touch with. Don't give too many details, just explain why it appears your car may have been sent to the wrong dealership and ask who there can look into it. Something like that. Perhaps you can pry open the Mute Mouth of Lotus and see if they can shed some light on what's going on with the overparked car.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm with you Sean. By the time my car arrives, my loan will be invalid as well, and the loan rate will have gone up a point or two. I'll also have to re-apply for the loan.

PM me if you need 3rd party assitance or any other type of help.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Calling Lotus USA sounds like a good idea in your situation. It may sound trivial (and probably obvious), but I would try to be nice to them on the phone. I generally find that I have much more success in getting help by being polite and cooperative. I personally wouldn't blame you if you felt more like throwing a temper tantrum, but you probably won't achieve much that way.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having, it must be very frustrating. I hope that it turns out well.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Randy's dead on. The trucking company for Lotus has been absolutely terrible so far. They have come up with every excuse in the book for not shipping cars on time. I posted elsewhere about a carrier that had a car for Princeton on Thursday of last week. The driver called and asked for directions from Delaware (maybe a 1 hour drive). As of Tuesday, still no car. This combined with a number of stories of vehicles sitting in Georgia waiting for "full loads" just adds to the fustration. I vote for a LCU pick up option.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi guys, good info. I might put it to use if I don't get an answer today. And I would start out very polite (which is my usual demeanor anyway) and *maybe* get a little testy if I got the same run around from them.

I got a call from Criswell a few minutes ago and they said that they're really pissed and have told "them" (LCU?) that they need an answer *today* (he actually said it should be this morning) about where the cars are exactly (ready to go on a truck tomorrow? Being loaded on a truck as we speak? Or, ooops, we forgot about you?) and what the problem is.

He says he's gotten tons of calls from people wondering where their cars are and he's as fed up as much as we are.

I asked if I could help by calling someone above him, that maybe they'd respond better to an irate customer- he said to wait until he talks to this person today.

I forgot to talk about it with him (left it on his voicemail), but I did, again, offer to fly to wherever my car is and drive it back. That'd be a fun way to get the first 600 miles under the belt :)
***MINI UPDATE*** Criswell just called me back about a couple of other things I left on their voicemail- the main one, about getting the car myself- the dealer has to do a pre-delivery inspection on the car (which is a good thing), so that's why getting it myself isn't an option. I told him that they should eventually set up some sort of system like BMW's "European Delivery" program, maybe it could be called something like "Southern Delivery" ;) He laughed and we both agreed that that'd probably confuse things even more.

Anyway, I'll report back when I hear anything...

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
This is likely not the case here, but the batch-paint processing could account for some delays, like Robert still waiting. Again, it's obvious they are working their way through all the colors. If you ordered BRP, but not a demo or #1, perhaps you won't get "hit" again until they've run the rainbow and started over. They are probabyl making X number in each batch.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
wallabyguy said:
Randy's dead on. The trucking company for Lotus has been absolutely terrible so far. They have come up with every excuse in the book for not shipping cars on time. I posted elsewhere about a carrier that had a car for Princeton on Thursday of last week. The driver called and asked for directions from Delaware (maybe a 1 hour drive). As of Tuesday, still no car. This combined with a number of stories of vehicles sitting in Georgia waiting for "full loads" just adds to the fustration. I vote for a LCU pick up option.
Robert,

I heard the #2 customer car was due in this past Monday at Princeton. As of today it still has not made it. I guess the truck driver did what I would do. Unload it and head to the race track :D LOL

Mitch

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
hermanslotus said:
Robert,

I heard the #2 customer car was due in this past Monday at Princeton. As of today it still has not made it. I guess the truck driver did what I would do. Unload it and head to the race track :D LOL

Mitch
Frotunetly the buyer is out of town for a few weeks. She's a long time client of the dealership and is moth balling her MGB for her new Elise. Ramsey was given the tough job of driving her car for a couple of weeks until she gets back to get it through the break in period. Some people just have the worst jobs.:rolleyes: :D

BTW, The car is ST w/ touring

·
Registered
3 Posts
I worked in the car business for many years and I can tell you that the dealers are getting screwed as badly as the customers in respect to slow delivery times.

Dealers have little or no control in how fast cars are delivered to them. You can call the shipper and 'hot flag' a car, but this has little or no effect on delivery. Shipping companies operate on a last in first out system. This means that cars coming from a rail head get shipped befors cars that have been sitting in a storage yard. The bottom line is that the customer and the dealer are desperate for the car but the shipper and the manufacturer don't care. Bear in mind that the dealer is invoiced for the car as soon as it is shipped. This means that the dealer has already paid for the car even though they do not yet have it. The dealer wants the car as basdly as the customer, they can not get paid until they deliver it to the customer.

BTW a finance approval is usually rate protected on a sold order. If rates go up you should not be penalized. Even if it is not, a finance manager can get an application re-approved at the old rate provided that the original approval has not expired. If you are being bumped on rate, the dealer is probably trying to get extra profit from finance reserve. Tell the dealer that you plan to call the bank to complain about the rate bump and see how quickly the rate goes back down.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Sean,
It must be agonizig to be so close to a 'fix', specially when we've been waiting for so long. It must be even more difficult when there is no clear reason as to why. Believe it or not I see an upside in this, more than one actually.
--Your car IS here.
--The issue at hand does not seem to be caused by Lotus, the local yokels dropped the ball. I actually take some comfort in this. I too, like many others, have sweated the prospect of owning a british car and the legendary quirkes that go with it. However, everytime something like this happens, or when I read about Tech_KO's problems and what followed; it chisles away from the dauting image I have in my head of Lotus/british cars. Yes, Lotus could come down like a hand of god the doofus running the transport company but I think this issue is one that goes with growing pains. Alas, it is affecting one of us directly, if I was near I'd treat you to a Guiness and let you vent. Keep your chin up.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
iain said:
Bear in mind that the dealer is invoiced for the car as soon as it is shipped. This means that the dealer has already paid for the car even though they do not yet have it.
Could you please elaborate on this statement in regards to where the car might be once the dealer is "invoiced"? Does this mean the cars are at port in UK, in transit on the ship, at port in the US or in transit on a truck to the dealer?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sean,

If it helps I might be able to show you your car. PM me and I'll see what I can do. It isn't the same thing as giving you your car, but it might be something to tide you over until it arrives.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dealer pays for the car as soon as it reaches the destination port. In the case of a Lotus, the dealer will be invoiced as soon as the car comes off the boat. For a domestic car it is as soon as it reaches the final rail head.

Do not feel too sorry for the dealers as they usually receive 'floor plan assistance' from the manufacturer. This usually means that they get 90 days worth of interest as a cash back. Lotus probably do not offer this, but all of the big boys do. It basically allows a savvy dealer to make money on inventory if they can turn over their stock in less than 90 days. In the trade it is known as negative floor plan and it used to be my speciality.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I'd be pretty pissed of if I were in your shoes. We currently have a yellow Carrera Cabriolet in stock that was supposed to be delivered to a dealer on the East coast. The District rep was notified and the car has been here for over a month now!!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys, for all the back-patting :(

"Later Apex", I just PM'd you...

I still haven't heard from Criswell yet...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got the call. It'll be here tomorrow. yay. :rolleyes:

It's over, I can stop bitching. Siiiiiiiighhhhhhhh...

I feel numb.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts