The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be worthy for the library

My OEM brake reservoir cap cracked about 4 months ago. I tried to get the cap from the dealer. But they don't sell just the cap by itself. They will only sell it as a set with the plastic reservoir for ~$170.00. Are you crazy, I'm not gonna pay that. :eek: I did some research on the thread size and finally found a replacement from ATE for ~$10.00. ATE doesn't list the part to use with Lotus. They are for some 80s BMW 5 series or something. Here is the part number incase some of you guys need to fine a replacement:

Brand: ATE
Part# 03.3556-1124.2 (390433)

P1280382.JPG
ATE Cap
P1280386.JPG
ATE Cap
P1280390.JPG
ATE Cap installed
P1280391.JPG
Cracked OEM cap
P1280405.JPG

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Shuold also be the same cap MANY Porsches take.........YMMV
Somehow I'll bet that Porsche doesn't attach their reservoirs with a single tiewrap though (note above, and yes, it's like that from the factory).
;)

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Holy ****, a tie wrap???
What's the chassis bonded with.........bubblegum?
Every time I do a brake fluid change I grit my teeth. You can actually grab the reservoir and wiggle it around a bit without much effort.

Come to think of it, the chassis adhesive does look a bit like bubblegum!
-eek-

Props to mlk_f1 for finding the alternate cap - this stuff can be a pain to track down.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Where can I buy one of these? I cant find it anywhere?

Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
Update... 6/24/11
Can't find this part in the US. Amazon stopped selling it. Any info would be appreciated. I just need one to make a pressure fitting to bleed my brakes.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Update... 6/24/11
Can't find this part in the US. Amazon stopped selling it. Any info would be appreciated. I just need one to make a pressure fitting to bleed my brakes.
If you can't find the part to make your own, either one of these will work just fine:
$22

$35

and you can probably find them cheaper on amazon...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks. $22 wins since I don't need a cap. I need a fitting. The BMW / Amazon piece looks like maybe the same except spade terminals instead of a pigtail.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just a quick bump to say thanks and this information is still useful in 2019! I was able to order from autohausAZ and can actually pick it up locally here in Phoenix.

·
Registered
79 Posts
big thx from the land down under. i am missing the rubber cap so went ahead and got this ATE replacement. Will take a while to ger here from the US but at least it will be fixed.

wish i had a rubber fitting that could cover it up in the meantime. ��

1 - 16 of 16 Posts