The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had started this project and posted some images in the configurator update thread, but I decided rather than to hijack that with updates, I'd start a new thread. These are my 4 best guesses for Magma Red, Hethel Yellow, Dark Verdant and Nimbus Grey. Nimbus is the one I've been having the most trouble with believe it or not, even though Dark Verdant was a royal pain to get more or less close to the samples we've seen.

This is in a simulated outdoor setting with natural sunlight. The others were in a light/dark photo studio setting. All 4 of these are the same other than paint color, i.e. Black Pack, tan leather seats, silver forged wheels, yellow calipers. I'll do some more with different caliper colors, black wheels, diamond cut, and different angles, but this is to start.

The idea here is to give people a more realistic idea of how the other FE colors we haven't seen on a car might actually look on the car. I'm not claiming these are absolutely accurate, but I think they're not too far off.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
229 Posts
Awesome work!! Hopefully we can see some painted test mules or even just shells from Hethel soon!

Reactions: jmn444

·
Registered
242 Posts
Really nice! I remain baffled why the configurator from Lotus is so bad w/rt other manufacturers in the segment. Prepare to be inundated with color suggestions. :D (baby blue would be my pick)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I enjoy how the black pack really trims the appearance of the car - it looks lower and meaner.

Getting the black pack on the green car seems like futility though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had started this project and posted some images in the configurator update thread, but I decided rather than to hijack that with updates, I'd start a new thread. These are my 4 best guesses for Magma Red, Hethel Yellow, Dark Verdant and Nimbus Grey. Nimbus is the one I've been having the most trouble with believe it or not, even though Dark Verdant was a royal pain to get more or less close to the samples we've seen.

This is in a simulated outdoor setting with natural sunlight. The others were in a light/dark photo studio setting. All 4 of these are the same other than paint color, i.e. Black Pack, tan leather seats, silver forged wheels, yellow calipers. I'll do some more with different caliper colors, black wheels, diamond cut, and different angles, but this is to start.

The idea here is to give people a more realistic idea of how the other FE colors we haven't seen on a car might actually look on the car. I'm not claiming these are absolutely accurate, but I think they're not too far off.

View attachment 1303266
View attachment 1303267
View attachment 1303268
View attachment 1303269
Thank you so much !!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Totally appreciate the effort put into these!

There's been a lot more info that's come to light about colors in the past month though, ever since the Lotus dealer meeting in Las Vegas, which has tightened up what the colors actually look like. For example, Magma Red IS Fire Red. I don't personally know if the metallic fleck might be varied vs the Evora's Fire Red, but the red color code itself is supposed to be identical.

Personally, I like the red you've created more than I like Fire Red. But yours seems closer to Formula Red. Here, take a look at some pics I snapped of Fire Red (Magma Red), at the recent Galpin Emira event. It'll look brighter outdoors in sunlight of course, but this still gives a good sense of tone.

To me, the Magma Red CGI render on the Lotus website suddenly makes a lot more sense when you compare it directly to these pictures.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Totally appreciate the effort put into these!

There's been a lot more info that's come to light about colors in the past month though, ever since the Lotus dealer meeting in Las Vegas, which has tightened up what the colors actually look like. For example, Magma Red IS Fire Red. I don't personally know if the metallic fleck might be varied vs the Evora's Fire Red, but the red color code itself is supposed to be identical.

Personally, I like the red you've created more than I like Fire Red. But yours seems closer to Formula Red. Here, take a look at some pics I snapped of Fire Red (Magma Red), at the recent Galpin Emira event. It'll look brighter outdoors in sunlight of course, but this still gives a good sense of tone.

To me, the Magma Red CGI render on the Lotus website suddenly makes a lot more sense when you compare it directly to these pictures.

View attachment 1303296
View attachment 1303297

View attachment 1303298
Here's the problem. Every one of these images are photos taken of actual color samples.

Automotive design Automotive lighting Ingredient Electric blue Flooring
Toy Automotive design Electric blue Plastic Gloss
Tableware Dishware Automotive lighting Window Table

Table Art Tints and shades Magenta Circle
Tints and shades Circle Magenta Art Pattern
Automotive lighting Automotive design Magenta Personal protective equipment Carmine

Dishware Automotive lighting Serveware Tints and shades Circle
Plant Grass Magenta Flooring Carmine
Automotive lighting Automotive design Ingredient Cuisine Electric blue

As you can see, the color is not consistent due to the color temperature of the light source, and the capability of the camera taking the pictures. Metallics also have a distinct personality difference depending on whether it's sunny or overcast. Since you've actually seen Fire Red, which one of these samples comes the closest? I'm looking for a daylight color example if possible.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Based on the feedback, I've revised Magma to bring it closer in color to the samples. I essentially averaged the differences. Fire Red seems to be overall darker than my original attempt.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
141 Posts
Since you've actually seen Fire Red, which one of these samples comes the closest? I'm looking for a daylight color example if possible.
The side-profile on your latest Magma Red revision (post #18) is a lot closer! You're capturing a lot of the Burgundy/Maroon tone now, which is what the first renders lacked. I'd say the hood/upper front area of the car probably needs the most focus now because the colored light source you're using is creating a "powdery haze" over the front that changes the color too much.

Of the sample pics you posted, I dropped the outliers and left the ones that seem most representative (below). I think these are pretty consistent with each other. But the caveat is, they are all taken in natural light (1 overcast, 2 sunny) and I viewed the car & took those pics in artificial light. So, my pictures, and my impression of the color in person, will line up most with the parts of these 3 images that don't have specular highlights.

You're right that it's pretty much an impossible task to capture most of these colors (Magma Red, Seneca Blue, Shadow Gray, etc) in a simulated still image. Consider this: weeks ago I held each of those paint discs in my hand (in the Emira display room during the evening). The colors changed for me noticeably simply by holding the disks a little over a foot from my face, versus straightening my arm and extending the disc as far away as possible. Just from the changes in light from that area of the room. What was far worse -- I turned on the flashlight of my cellphone, and played around with moving the cell & the paint sample to varying distances from each other & from my eyes, different angles, etc. The same sample looked like different colors entirely as conditions varied, thanks in part to that metallic paint. Seneca Blue went from a very flat, uniform and somewhat dull blue in darker conditions, to the almost royal blue I like when in brighter but diffuse lighting conditions, to "too light like baby-blue, and a weird off-tone" when in bright light that created specular highlights.

Put another way, after having all the time I wanted with those color discs in person, I left with no confidence whatsoever in what the car will look like when painted in these colors (except for Fire Red since I saw the Fire Red Evora there), and I've ceased all speculation. Heck, look at those first 2 China reveal videos that debuted a few weeks ago and though both are high quality, similar lighting, car parked in the same spot outdoors etc, the 2 videos showed very different tones for Seneca Blue, one much lighter than the other.

When I see a Seneca Blue Emira in person, only then will I determine how much I like it and "what it really looks like".

Automotive lighting Magenta Toy Automotive design Bumper

Dishware Automotive lighting Serveware Tints and shades Circle

Plant Grass Magenta Carmine Foot

·
Registered
375 Posts
In case it's useful or you haven't already done this, here are the averages of all color chip images from the configurator:
Blue Azure Violet Electric blue Pattern
Circle Font Pattern Electric blue Darkness
Brown Yellow Amber Peach Pattern
Electric blue Pattern Circle Logo Event
Green Font Electric blue Pattern Circle
Brown Red Font Pattern Magenta

These were calculated exactly using the entirety of all pixels in each color chip file straight from the configurator for reference:
Font Gadget Technology Rectangle Electric blue

1 - 20 of 132 Posts