The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2-day old 2005 Elise got a small crack (pinhole plus small spiders less than a quarter in diameter).

Assuming it cant be fixed (drill & epoxy), are there 3rd party sources?

The dealer said $1300 and 3-4 weeks from England.

2005 Saffron Yellow Elise

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
unless it interferes with your vision, why mess with it even if it fails with the treatment?
perfection gets quite expensive, unless it's a show car.....
sam

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unless it interferes with your vision, why mess with it even if it fails with the treatment?
perfection gets quite expensive, unless it's a show car.....
sam
Agreed, i'm just afraid the crack will fail the repair.

Every one of my cars has had a cracked windshield at some point (02 M3, 98 Volvo as well as previous cars). I used to drive my 02 M3 with a huge crack across the top (got the crack at the track & saw it grow during the day).

·
Registered
377 Posts
Dealer wanted $500 labor to remove the clam. Glass installer did it in 1.5 hours without removing the clam. Glass cost $900 from the dealer a year ago and the glass could not be located except at the dealer. For awhile the glass was scarce last year and some had to wait.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think the glass guys are doing it without removing the clam by cutting the old one out with piano wire. Anyone know the technique? It might be good to suggest when shopping...

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I think the glass guys are doing it without removing the clam by cutting the old one out with piano wire. Anyone know the technique? It might be good to suggest when shopping...
Mine was replaced this way (with the cheese wire).

There are second party (non OEM) windows, which I got one of (220 versus 1800). The was not in the US - but surely you should be able to find one there.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
im assuming you guys have called aftermarket glass dealers to make sure they are not stocking any for this car yet.

If this is the only option:crazyeyes Better avoid construction trucks like the Flippin plague. !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts