The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Even if part of the hub the caliper still bolts to it so would seem a bracket could be made to mount Brembo or what not.. Alas, I have ZERO skills to make a bracket...
The Toyota Brake is single piston floating caliper type so looking at the hub will not help much as the Brembo is a 4 pot, 2 pistons on each side squeezing the rotor at the same time. Entirely different mounting.

Why would you try and make a bracket that you can buy? I haven't checked lately but are they all out or stopped selling them?
I've been out of the parts scene for a while so I hope its not a dumb question.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The Toyota Brake is single piston floating caliper type so looking at the hub will not help much as the Brembo is a 4 pot, 2 pistons on each side squeezing the rotor at the same time. Entirely different mounting.

Why would you try and make a bracket that you can buy? I haven't checked lately but are they all out or stopped selling them?
I've been out of the parts scene for a while so I hope its not a dumb question.
FWIU for the 1994 without the brembo brakes requires new hub and a ton of other stuff.. :p and not really a fan from what I have read of Willwood

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Yes it was bad then I soaked it and problem has not come back. Then there was a seller local here who said he had one brand new in the packaging but to this day can't locate it so I gave up on him. The feeling I had when the switch went out on me was an eerie feeling so wanted to be cautious and not have that happen again on the freeway. Just to be safe I was going that route but looking like I will be getting the after market one. Emailed Lotus Marquee to see how I can order one but not gotten a reply...
On one thread where the switch was soaked and cleaned it worked but not at the correct pressures. So far the only solution that makes sense and still retains the ABS functionality is to replace the OEM switch with a manifold and duplicate the original switch's function with 2 separate switches. That is what Lotus Marquee is offering. Converting and/or replacing the brake system is an expensive undertaking and if not done properly can compromise the safety of the vehicle. No one is offering testing to prove any of the conversions. Replacing the OEM switch with parts that can duplicate it's function is the least invasive approach while still retaining the majority of a proven, safe system. I consider the braking system in a vehicle to be the second most important system in the car. Steering would be the most important. Consider how long you could drive a car with a failed system and you can see why braking is so important (but steering even more so!)
David Teitelbaum

·
Cal H
982 Posts
FWIU for the 1994 without the brembo brakes requires new hub and a ton of other stuff.. :p and not really a fan from what I have read of Willwood
If you are just doing the fronts you are not changing the hub carrier just the hub. That's the easy part. The carrier with the spindle is what the suspension and steering is hooked up to. That stays.

If you want to change the back single piston Bendix for a single piston Brembo caliper that is the hard part. It just the opposite you keep the rear hub but you have to change the hub carrier. That is big stuff a lot of work as the carrier is what the drive axles and suspension is hooked up to.

·
Registered
519 Posts
@MidLifeZ I read alot of Bad about the wilwood setup too but im happy with the imporvment over the factory toyota setup I dont track the car but the car stops on a dime when i need it too. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Guys,

I found a previous thread about brake system alternative for 4-cylinder esprit...and here is his quote:

"Got it back....Totally Sweeeet.
100% mechanical. No assist at all. It'll just take some getting used to. Turbo seems to be spooling higher, but that might just be all in my head.

Wilwood Racing dual master cylinder and proportioning valve - under $200.
Labour - $1500.
No more weak link in the Esprit......

I highly recommed this. "

And here are the pics:

Please I want your honest and informative opinion about this. This setup costs only 200$ and I could do it myself. This guy mentioned that he has already Wilwood calipers existing in the car. I am not intending to replace my stock calipers but I am not sure what would be the brake performance difference using my stock calipers and discs.

Here is the old thread if you want more info:

I'm replacing the whole braking system - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums

Thanks,

JR

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I don't think you want to go with a non vacuum boosted system like that... It would take approximately 8x leg force to operate your brakes without vacuum assist.

Here's replacement with a vacuum booster and a Toyota MR2 master.
Calling All Brake Gurus - Page 12 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Page 12

Here is the cheap VW master cylinder that is the same as the 89 Esprit master.
Brake Master Cylinder & Servo - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums

Basically you would redo parts of the brake lines, remove the rear proportioning valve and replace it with a standard Tee, replace the master cylinder and vacuum booster, make a bracket for it and the vacuum booster, and run a vacuum line to the pump under the engine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did a full 4 corner brake conversion using Z06 Corvette Calipers and Rotors: 14"fronts-6 piston Calipers and 13"rears-4piston calipers.

I'm not going to make it sound like it was super easy, but it was doable!

Just don't give up, and simply because you're going to be the first one doing it; only makes it more exciting anyways ;)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts