The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please bare with me because I am going to start at the beginning since I dont know what will be important and what wont.

So I first started having battery issues about 6 months ago and when I took it to my friends shop he noticed that the bwr supercharger had actually pulled the alternator so hard that it cracked a bracket on the actually alternator and was being pulled into the heat shield. We replaced the alternator with a auto zone one and everything worked good for a few months.

About four weeks ago I noticed the battery light would come on then go off which I ignored for about 2 days. On my way back from a business trip the light came on and stayed on and about 20 miles later the radio stopped and the abs and air bag light came on. One mile later the rpms dropped to 3,000 then stalled. we jumped the car 10 times to get back to the shop. When we took the alternator out it was not damaged like the time before but just wasnt working. Took the alternator back to auto zone (where the alternator was still on warranty) and they gave us a replacement. Put it back in and the car ran well.

2 Weeks later (which is now) the battery light came on again and as soon as I noticed the radio go out and the abs light come on I decided to park the car in the garage. Has any had any issues with their BWR Supercharger blowing out the alternator or do you think its just an issue with auto zone alternators? The BWR supercharger I have is the one that relocates the alternator under the engine and I do have an original CharlieX ECU upgrade.

Any help will be much appreciated because even though the alternators are free due to being on warranty, it does cost me $200 of labor to pull out the old one and replace with a new one every time it goes bad.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Check the alternator connector wires, there was a heat issue from the relocation of the alternator that caused the wires to burn up.
michael
Please bare with me because I am going to start at the beginning since I dont know what will be important and what wont.

So I first started having battery issues about 6 months ago and when I took it to my friends shop he noticed that the bwr supercharger had actually pulled the alternator so hard that it cracked a bracket on the actually alternator and was being pulled into the heat shield. We replaced the alternator with a auto zone one and everything worked good for a few months.

About four weeks ago I noticed the battery light would come on then go off which I ignored for about 2 days. On my way back from a business trip the light came on and stayed on and about 20 miles later the radio stopped and the abs and air bag light came on. One mile later the rpms dropped to 3,000 then stalled. we jumped the car 10 times to get back to the shop. When we took the alternator out it was not damaged like the time before but just wasnt working. Took the alternator back to auto zone (where the alternator was still on warranty) and they gave us a replacement. Put it back in and the car ran well.

2 Weeks later (which is now) the battery light came on again and as soon as I noticed the radio go out and the abs light come on I decided to park the car in the garage. Has any had any issues with their BWR Supercharger blowing out the alternator or do you think its just an issue with auto zone alternators? The BWR supercharger I have is the one that relocates the alternator under the engine and I do have an original CharlieX ECU upgrade.

Any help will be much appreciated because even though the alternators are free due to being on warranty, it does cost me $200 of labor to pull out the old one and replace with a new one every time it goes bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alternator wiring looks fine now, was re soldered abd wrapped after the first issue. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
12,062 Posts
go to basics:

check battery terminals, before and after each connector.

Check battery ground.

Alternator wires: looking doesn't count. check continuity, voltage before and after splices.

Pull connector, clean & inspect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts