The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i got the problem with my alternator after i install the katana SC

the screw that connect to the red cable melt ..... i didnt know metal could melt too . i'm not sure i connect something wrong on the alternator but it have only 1 plug ?? and the main red line into it.

so anyone have this problem before or its just me :(

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
wow a katana car whos alt has over heated......:shrug::popcorn: better watch out scottyb...-poke-

its the first ive heard of it... did you do the install your self? id bet something was miss wired or the like...

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
No problems here - sounds like something wasn't connected correctly - Pics would help and post this over at Moremonkey and let Charlie or Frank have a look see !

·
Registered
393 Posts
It's very unlikely that there would be enough heat in the engine compartment to actually melt a metal screw. It's more likely that the connection was bad creating a significant amount of electrical resistance. Resistance in an electrical circuit creates heat, easily enough to melt metal with the amount of current that an alternator puts out.

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Possibly the cable was very loose causing arcing, heat, and a melt down... Outside of that, you pinched a wire or simply some other funky failure in your electrical system- Unrelated to the blower for sure...

Good luck,

Phil

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Takes about 2,500F to melt steel, bad connection seems the most likely then it'll generate enough heat locally.

if the alternator is in other places, it overheats not that the alternator causes other things to overheat.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Definitely looks like damage caused electrical arcing. Pretty similar to what a screwdriver tip looks like after accidentally shorting out a car battery. :eek:

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
Yes, likely intermittent short as others have mentioned. It seems strange the cable looks uneffected unless it was arcing to something else. Otherwise, just make sure the connection is tight.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yes, likely intermittent short as others have mentioned. It seems strange the cable looks uneffected unless it was arcing to something else. Otherwise, just make sure the connection is tight.
It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but assuming that the cable should have a ring connector, it looks like the ring is missing. Burnt off perhaps. :shrug:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are they have any stud or screw replace the one that burn out at all
cuz i cant find one ???
i mean if that the only thing that i have to fix

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
are they have any stud or screw replace the one that burn out at all
cuz i cant find one ???
i mean if that the only thing that i have to fix
I hear that a new Lotus Alt is $1200 and a Toyota one is $400... No idea about the terminal alone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts