The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am looking for some lug nuts for my new studs i just bought...and i come across aluminum lug nuts?-eek-
Now i might be an old school type of guy, but aluminum lug nuts?
that just sounds ....well.... NUTS!
Opinions?

they are made by gorilla who makes a bunch of lug nuts..

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
The lug nuts on my 930 are aluminum from the factory and 30 years old. They were holding on 345 section width tires at one point.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I used alloy lug nuts when i raced my Birkin and never had an issue. They were very, very light.

dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
The 930 has 5 nuts and at a much larger diameter, but also weights about 160% more.

I would be weary about how the treads were formed and what aluminum was chosen. Fatigue would be my biggest concern and galling on the aluminum wheel, if the nuts are hard anodized they should be ok.

I guess if somebody wanted to go this route they need to weight the risk vs the savings in UN-sprung weight.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
I've run several sets of Volk Rays aluminum lugs. The only issue I've had was with a lost lug key, I found it extremely easy to hammer a socket onto the "keyed" lug and spin it right off. Not all that secure if theft is a concern.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
unsprung wieght wasnt my goal,
looking for open lug nuts that didnt cost an obnoxious price, or look like they came off my nieghbors 1983 pickup truck..

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
The 930 has 5 nuts and at a much larger diameter, but also weights about 160% more.

I would be weary about how the treads were formed and what aluminum was chosen. Fatigue would be my biggest concern and galling on the aluminum wheel, if the nuts are hard anodized they should be ok.

I guess if somebody wanted to go this route they need to weight the risk vs the savings in UN-sprung weight.
Yup but I trust anything from 80s era porsche engineering to be robust. The car uses ridiculously thick and oversized fixtures for everything.

That being said, I wouldent put aluminum nuts on my exige. It is just too little benefit for any risk at all.

Radium has those super cool titanium bolts, as well. I use the cheap BMW OEM bolts. They look nice and are a bit lighter than the factory bolts I believe. I cant stand specialized tools for rooming wheels.

In the entire history of tamper proof lugs, they have prevents like a dozen wheel thefts.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've had titanium studs for over a year now and I've been very happy with them. I've had the wheels on and off ~15 times since I installed them and they still look great, no galling of the threads and I can still spin the nuts on by hand. It saved 0.9 lbs and I paid $136 for a set from this guy. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/titanium-wheel-studs-nuts-99942/

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I've run several sets of Volk Rays aluminum lugs. The only issue I've had was with a lost lug key, I found it extremely easy to hammer a socket onto the "keyed" lug and spin it right off. Not all that secure if theft is a concern.
I've run two sets of the same lugs with no problems. One on a tracked car and the other on my C6. Saved almost 2 pounds on the C6. I haven't gotten around to lightweight lugs for the Exige yet.

San

·
7,594 Posts
Omg .9 lbs saved... Hahahahaha!
Rotational weight is a lot more important than static weight, especially if it is further outward than the center of rotation. Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.

San

·
Premium Member
2,845 Posts
Rotational weight is a lot more important than static weight, especially if it is further outward than the center of rotation. Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.

San
+1
Had forged aluminum lug nuts on my supercharged Miata, and never had an issue with them.
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-0776a.html
I tracked the car 4-5 times a year for several years. Also had the ridiculously light Enkei RPF-1 wheels on that car. Definitely felt a difference from the Rota Circuit 8 wheels I had on the car previously. To each his own.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
7,594 Posts
+1
Had forged aluminum lug nuts on my supercharged Miata, and never had an issue with them.
MX5 Performance Parts : Blox Forged Aluminum Lug Nut Set - Black 12 x 1.5MM (20 PC. SET)
I tracked the car 4-5 times a year for several years. Also had the ridiculously light Enkei RPF-1 wheels on that car. Definitely felt a difference from the Rota Circuit 8 wheels I had on the car previously. To each his own.

SSRs on my WRX and CCWs on my C6. I could feel the difference in weight on the WRX. I increased the tire sizes +5 front and rear on the C6 and still came out lighter than stock. 245/285 stock to 295/335 (Toyo R888s). Decreased the rear wheel diameters on the C6 to 18s, which still clear my BBK and will accomodate any tire I need (18X13 wheel). CCWs were painted by Enkei's paint factory.

San

·
Premium Member
2,845 Posts
^ SWEET! Just bought some 33" Hankook DynaPro tires for my Wrangler and I notice a HUGE difference in acceleration. They weigh 62lbs. a piece (tire only) versus 49 lbs. a piece for the not as road friendly, ProComps. I feel like I've lost 30hp:-( What's funny is that I was so anal about wheel/tire/lug setup on the Miata, and spaced it on the Jeep. I learned a $1,000 lesson that day.

·
7,594 Posts
^ SWEET! Just bought some 33" Hankook DynaPro tires for my Wrangler and I notice a HUGE difference in acceleration. They weigh 62lbs. a piece (tire only) versus 49 lbs. a piece for the not as road friendly, ProComps. I feel like I've lost 30hp:-( What's funny is that I was so anal about wheel/tire/lug setup on the Miata, and spaced it on the Jeep. I learned a $1,000 lesson that day.

If you learned from it then it was truly a lesson.

Tires are extremely important (weight-wise) as they are farthest outward with regards to rotational weight. If I have to choose between two tires where they're close in all respects but one is lighter, it's a no-brainer.

Lug nuts are obviously closer to center with regards to rotational weight but it all adds up.

When I was racing mountain bikes I was cutting titanium bolts down, running the fewest amount of chain links and running lightweight tubes and tires to gain the competitive edge.

I've never owned a vehicle (or toy) where I didn't reduce weight significantly.

San

·
Registered
80 Posts
I hope with these aftermarket aluminum nuts the manufactures are giving you a new torque spec. The material contact friction is changing as is the proof load of the new joint.

Also another note, the compliance of the aluminum nut is going to be higher than the steel nut because of its lower stiffness in its material properties. So there is a compromise there. I would be curious to do a quick compliance check just grabbing the wheel with steel vs aluminum nuts.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
It just struck me as funny.

You are not wanting to put aluminum lug nuts on your Elise. The car that has an aluminum tub that is held together with glue.

I have run aluminum lugs on my 911 with no problem.

I also understand preferring non-aluminum lugs and bet the weight you save with aluminum will be statistically irrelevant. I predict no measurable differences in 0-60 or 60-0 or autoX times or MPG or .....

Using very liberal generalizations on the math I remember, you are talking about an effective weight difference of less than 1 gal of gas.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts