The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with having aluminum Nikasil liners repaired?

How about obtaining replacements which are aluminum? Including pistons.

-Jason

·
Administrator
2,087 Posts
Try BOE. They did my block years ago for former owner or sent it somewhere but they did the ring gap and piston fitting prior to sending it back.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have had liners re-coated. What's the problem with your liners?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have decided to use my original motor which has aluminum liners. 1 of them has a huge gouge. So I'm trying to figure out what my repair or replace options are.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm a week away from home and my records, but the place I used was in Wisconsin. I think this was the place. Here's a link...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Nope - it was US Chrome in Fon du Lac.

·
Registered
917 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy crap, Erik. You are my hero. Now modifying all my eBay saved search parameters! We will see if they guy will ship to me.

-Jason

·
Registered
917 Posts
Glad the massive amount of time I spend (waste) scouring the world for used performance mods can help somebody.

That is a chunk of change! I would be a little careful. He sounds very legit but it seems odd he will not take Pay Pal.

I cant believe I remembered seeing them last week during one of my searches. I hope it works out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didn't notice the no PayPal. Yeah. Sketch. Perhaps it will be a fun trip. Or perhaps he's on this board setting me up for a scam. Life is an adventure.

-Jason

·
Registered
917 Posts
They were posted for sale before you started your thread for sure. Says he will ship world wide...if they ever show up :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So that someone with the same problem can follow along later, I am updating here.

I have figured out only one of my remaining 3 liners is A grade. I have figured out that Erik's eBay seller above is selling what I actually need, which is just a complete set of A910E9192F. That seems to be what was put in my '83 turbo block.

I have also found the 2015 lotus price list, when one could buy a set of A910E9192F for $1,461.

eBay dude wants $2238 in advance not-via-paypal and will ship them from Manchester to Virginia. Or $2,067 if I pop over and pick them up.

Any last thoughts on alternative sources?

-Jason

·
Registered
604 Posts
A possible option would be to check with Lotusbits for a used block with aluminum liners. I got one 3-4 years ago out of an Eclat for way less than what a set of new liners would cost. Might be a more cost effective solution for the liners. Then you can go with forged pistons from anybody.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
For this kind of money you should be able to find a shop that can repair your liner. The right place should be able to weld that damage and machine it back to size. Then you have to get it plated. Don't throw the old ones away if you do get new ones. They are still worth something to the right person.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
604 Posts
Something to keep in mind - the liner seat is different for the aluminum liner vs an iron liner. You will need to do some machining to put aluminum liners in a block that came with iron liners.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You will need to do some machining to put aluminum liners in a block that came with iron liners.
Yup. The whole reason I am ISO aluminum liners is that is what is already in the block. A prior owner has already bored out the liner seats in the block. I now have two separate conversations going on with separate sellers. The time zone thing is slowing me down. I will have an update soon.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The time zone thing is slowing me down...
If time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once, time zones are Man's way of slowing things down even further.

Reactions: Erik L
1 - 20 of 29 Posts