The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Cal H
982 Posts
For repairing plastic depending on the severity I use either a heat welder with filler sticks or chemical fusion using small plastic beads (looks like powder until fused) as filler material. I had gotten pretty good at repairing plastic through my sons sport bike hobby as he has laid over several bikes. The fairing parts for sport bikes are so expensive that insurance usually totals a bike out. I could probably use the vacuum bagger owned by one of club members that makes repro Lotus parts to make the shroud out of glass or myriad carbon fiber blend

· Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo; 2005 Elise BOE Supercharged
7,133 Posts
But what's not clear is if the MOUNTING method (rubber isolated - not possible with stock Esprit fiberglass tray) has something to do with it.

If it turns out to be another radiator failure, that'll be a big disappointment.
One thing about the Esprit's cooling system: the hoses HAVE to seal correctly.

I think it was Tim E or Jim K that recommended a smear of silicone RTV at each joint, hose-to-pipe, up front. Because, soon as the engine starts to warm up, PRESSURE increases throughout the system. Problem is, the rad area is not HOT yet...so each junction is essentially looser than when the thermostat opens and allows hot coolant to heat and "swell" the metal.

When my upper rad hose was not fully seated, I couldn't see it because of the shroud. Tightening the clamp didn't work 'cause the hose wasn't fully seated on the radiator outlet pipe. :sad: It just leaked while warming up.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for all the good stuff! when I get around to pulling the shroud and radiator out... I'll post up photos.

Trouble is, this is THE best time of year for driving in my area of the world. As the car is not running at all hot and the shroud is sagging but cannot fall away... it might be a few months.

Looking the way it all goes... it seems one spot that could def have been designed a bit better. Oil cooler pipes in particular seem a bit un thought out...

But hey... that's the way things are! LOL!

Cameron

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Are you still in need of a shroud? I recently replaced my radiator with an aluminum model that doesn't use the stock shroud. I think my old one was still in decent condition. Let me know if you're interested.
Yes! Absolutely. Let me know if you still have it... I am sure we can work out something. PM me or shoot me e-mail at [email protected]

Cameron:wave:

4,425 Posts
Are you still in need of a shroud? I recently replaced my radiator with an aluminum model that doesn't use the stock shroud. I think my old one was still in decent condition. Let me know if you're interested.
The OP has an 88 Esprit and your profile says you have a 2003 V8 Esprit - not sure the shroud is the same?

And you might want to read my earlier thread on using an aluminum radiator on an Esprit if you haven't already.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.