The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm looking into buying a new aluminum trailer for my Elise as a few used deals fell threw (NYC area). I've narrowed my choices to the Aluma 82XX series, Featherlite 3110 Car Trailer series, and of course Trailex CT-7031.

Question is, anyone have experiance with the shorter based Aluma or Featherlight trailers??? Can I get my elise (with or without front diffuser on) up on the shoeter based featherlite or Aluma trailers. Shorter being teh 14, 15, or 16 ft trailers. Obviously, I would like to get the shortest possible trailers without having to use a 2nd pair of race ramps. Any other issues with these trailers and fit of the Lotus, weird tie down points?

TIA!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'm also looking for the shortest aluminum trailer for my Elise. I saw a thread a while back where someone was using a 14 ft trailer to tow their Elise, but they had to back onto it.

I just want any trailer that can hold an Elise that's under 1000 lbs.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I've got a 14' Featherlite and it's awesome. Zero complaints. Fits the Elise with a couple feet to spare. Towing it with my 2005 Sequoia is super easy and comfortable. No issues.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Just remember that the greater the distance from the hitch coupler to the trailer wheels (and also the shorther the distance from the hitch ball to the truck's rear wheels, but we are talking about the trailer here), the better it tows.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a 14' Featherlite and it's awesome. Zero complaints. Fits the Elise with a couple feet to spare. Towing it with my 2005 Sequoia is super easy and comfortable. No issues.
Curoius with the 14' featherlite. Do the standard ramps alone allow you to pull up without scrapping the front end of the car??? I assume you don't have a front diffuser according to your avatar.

And I've been pulling heavy steel & tall U-haul trailers with the Elise on it for 2 years, but I did have to use alot of wood to extend the ramps.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I've got a crazy big splitter and I have to remove it to get up the rams but I've designed it such that it's pretty easy. My car is also pretty low. A stock or mildly lowered elise should have no issue with the ramps provided.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
I've got a crazy big splitter and I have to remove it to get up the rams but I've designed it such that it's pretty easy. My car is also pretty low. A stock or mildly lowered elise should have no issue with the ramps provided.
Add some Race Ramps.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Montrose trailers. I know about the infatuation with trailer X, but you just can't beat a montrose trailer for light weight enclosures. I'm on my second one. My first was a clamshell style. HUGE hit at every track event. I outgrew the size, so fetched a bigger version...

Here some pics from several years back...

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ok, I'm looking into buying a new aluminum trailer for my Elise as a few used deals fell threw (NYC area). I've narrowed my choices to the Aluma 82XX series, Featherlite 3110 Car Trailer series, and of course Trailex CT-7031.

Question is, anyone have experiance with the shorter based Aluma or Featherlight trailers??? Can I get my elise (with or without front diffuser on) up on the shoeter based featherlite or Aluma trailers. Shorter being teh 14, 15, or 16 ft trailers. Obviously, I would like to get the shortest possible trailers without having to use a 2nd pair of race ramps. Any other issues with these trailers and fit of the Lotus, weird tie down points?

TIA!
I owned a Featherlite 3110 in standard length for a E36 M3 race car. I ordered it in "narrow" width (8'-0") instead of standard 8'-6". That made it a lot easier to back up through my side gate. It fit the M3 fine; I had a tire rack fabbed in front. I had to put some 2" beveled wood blocks under the ramps to accommodate the low splitter. You will need removable fenders to open the doors.

Despite its light weight, it was very sturdy and i never had any issues with the trailer mechanicals .But the bias-ply tires didn't last long, they exploded or delaminated long before the tread wore out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts