The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received a unikey and wanted to share my initial thoughts. If you have also received your key, what do you think?

Things I like:
-In person, you can definitely tell that a lot of thought and effort has gone into all aspects of the key (design, machining, box, etc).
-Very light
-Very High quality (The aluminum was beautifully fabricated, the carbon fiber is flawless, and all the parts fit together seamlessly)
-The design is great, it matches our cars much better than the factory fob
-Great packaging
-Detailed instructions (the pictures were a bit small for the antenna mod, but there is a plethora of information on LT)
-The consolidation of both the key and fob into a unikey
-The option to have either a black or standard emblem on the key.

Things I don't like
-Plastic design on the face/backplate. It has a weird, wavy pattern. This was easily fixed by some 200, 400, 600, and 1500 grit sandpaper :) In my opinion, it looks much cleaner with the smooth plastic.

Overall, this key is a great replacement for the OEM key and fob. Not only does it look great, but it functions well. I am very satisfied with my new key.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
That weird wavy pattern of the plastic was the one thing holding me up from ordering this unikey. Other than that I think it's great! Good to know it can be sanded down to smooth. I do wish they offered something cooler than the wavy plastic. I remember my first car, a '76 Malibu Classic, had some wavy black plastic like that on some interior bits.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think it would be awesome if the part that is the wavy plastic was carbon fiber and the buttons were smooth. The carbon fiber look around the logo would be pretty sweet too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ I agree. A carbon fiber face would look awesome, but I believe they tried to make one and it didn't conduct the signal properly.

·
Registered
436 Posts
^^^ That was my concern... my knee is literally inches from my factory key. I could imagine my knee hitting it during some exciting shifting and breaking something off.

And Im not even that tall...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It is just a bit longer and wider. Unless you are just missing the oem key with your knee, I don't think you will have problems with the unikey.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^lol CMP I knew that was coming. I donated my interior to HKFEVER for the creation of many of the carbon fiber parts he is making. It has been quite an experience having it "bare" for months, but I am excited for the parts to arrive soon :)

don't worry, I'll post pics of the full cf interior once it arrives.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...nicely executed; i think terry did a really good job on these...thanks for the review and sharing your real-world pictures!..

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
...nicely executed; i think terry did a really good job on these...thanks for the review and sharing your real-world pictures!..
Agreed, great photos.

That is a pretty sweet looking avatar ...m..., what is it of?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Guys - I got my key delivered from Terry this weekend. Great stuff as noted.

Honestly, I think I may be going in a different direction and may sell it. It's the exact same one as this thread. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Looks great, can't wait for mine :)
From sitting in the car this morning, one's leg shouldn't even really be that far over and high when positioned behind the wheel. At least in RHD. Means you'd barely be able to turn the wheel if that was the case!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Poor swinglo, you've bought every aftermarket key option available to date and have yet to keep one correct? I like the mod to use the fob to retain the key... the result is super compact, and i have a set of parts partially modifeid but it doesn't seem it'll be sturdy enough for my style.

I think this key looks really nice, but at this point i think i'd only be willing to switch to something that was noticeably smaller than the stock set-up becuase my pockets are seriously space limited.

·
Registered
796 Posts
nice! i remember seeing that post! congrats!

^^^lol CMP I knew that was coming. I donated my interior to HKFEVER for the creation of many of the carbon fiber parts he is making. It has been quite an experience having it "bare" for months, but I am excited for the parts to arrive soon :)

don't worry, I'll post pics of the full cf interior once it arrives.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
592 Posts
It seems huge. Do you have dimensions? Maybe place something next to it to get a reference of size and thickness?

·
Registered
169 Posts
In my opinion this unikey is bulky and has a weird shape. I hope somebody can come up with a better design. For now i will stick with our cheap looking original keys.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Guys - I'm selling mine. It's the exact same one as in this post.

PM me if interested

1 - 20 of 51 Posts