The Lotus Cars Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look, I want to be apart of the Lotus community very much. In fact, I consider myself already part of it (minus the car). I cannot see myself spending more than 25k for an 05 Elise. So my question is this. Am I being realistic about this? If someone is selling an 05 with 20k miles for 28k, is offering 24k for it that ridiculous? I mean, I'm seeing 05's with an asking price for more than 30k. I can't imagine that these sellers are getting more than 30k for an 05 Elise, especially since its not even an SC. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
470 Posts
i dont think it hurts to offer. They may meet you in the middle at 26k and you are close. Also with the economy the way it is some people are marking everything up as much as they can to get every last dollar.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You can offer whatever you want, it is up to the buyer to respond or not.

I would personally dont go for it, would rather keep my stuff than lower my price for anything :sad:

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you can't see yourself spending the money, you can't see yourself owning the car.

I don't think you are being realistic. Offering almost 20% below the sales price on a private party car is not good offer. I could see offering 20% under a dealer's price, but 28k for an 05 Elise is a very fair price.

The cars cost what they cost. You just need to be willing to pay what they cost, or look for other cars.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can't see yourself spending the money, you can't see yourself owning the car.

I don't think you are being realistic. Offering almost 20% below the sales price on a private party car is not good offer. I could see offering 20% under a dealer's price, but 28k for an 05 Elise is a very fair price.

The cars cost what they cost. You just need to be willing to pay what they cost, or look for other cars.
Well look, I'm not buying a corolla here. This car has been ripped to shreds in every way possible. Is 28k fair? Probably, but if you were buying a house and the asking price is 850k and you thought it was a fair price. Are you going to offer 850k? If you do then you're an idiot. So would me telling you that offering 775K is unrealistic and pointless? NO. It's smart. Would I say the houses cost what they cost? NO. an ASKING PRICE IS AN ASKING PRICE. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS THIS PRICE OR NOTHING. If someone want's to sell a car for 28k, then the asking price should be 32k. In which case if someone wants to sell their car for 25k, the the asking price should be.. TADAAAA ...... 28-29K

·
Registered
37 Posts

+1

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Well look, I'm not buying a corolla here. This car has been ripped to shreds in every way possible. Is 28k fair? Probably, but if you were buying a house and the asking price is 850k and you thought it was a fair price. Are you going to offer 850k? If you do then you're an idiot. So would me telling you that offering 775K is unrealistic and pointless? NO. It's smart. Would I say the houses cost what they cost? NO. an ASKING PRICE IS AN ASKING PRICE. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS THIS PRICE OR NOTHING. If someone want's to sell a car for 28k, then the asking price should be 32k. In which case if someone wants to sell their car for 25k, the the asking price should be.. TADAAAA ...... 28-29K
I forget... were you asking a question?

·
Registered
826 Posts
I think sub 30K 05' elises are not out of the question. Someone in mid winter, in the north east.....they might want to part. I BELIEVE I've seen 1 or 2 for that price on E-bay and such.

Set that price and offer it up, and keep saving....if you don't get it for 25K....you'll have a few more Gs in time..and can offer more.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
What is with the "look" and "well look", and the ALL CAPS...getting a little defensive are we.... you ask a question, people give you their answer....dont ask it if you dont want honest opinions....

dont buy the car if its not at the price you want...also, if you cant afford a few grand more then you are not going to be able to afford the other costs associated with the car...tires need to be replaced more often, brakes, oil changes...etc...

·
Registered
985 Posts
The ultimate value, be it a car or home is not based on what the seller is asking. Sometimes a home or car is listed too low and other times too high. Believe it or not there are many above asking price offers and sales in certain real estate market segments. Educating yourself on the particular market is alway's the best option before the negotiation rather then simply knocking dollars off the asking price.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Hang on a minute - you asked the question is an offer of $24k reasonable... the response was "no that's a bit light"... so you then argue that it is a fair offer :shrug:

Since you already feel it is fair why did you make the thread :confused:

Edit: too slow :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess he dont like answers that dont agree with his own opinion :panic:

Why do you ask when you already know what answer you want:confused:

Buy the Corolla
Just because I'm asking a question, that does not mean I have to agree with the answers I'm getting. Learn the English language first. Then reply.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
ok, so, how do i explain this to you in simple terms....hmmm

the car is listed at 28k - you want to buy the car for 25k - you offer 25k - sellers dont want to sell for 25k - they dont respond back to you [period, the end]

get it now?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hang on a minute - you asked the question is an offer of $24k reasonable... the response was "no that's a bit light"... so you then argue that it is a fair offer :shrug:

Since you already feel it is fair why did you make the thread :confused:
Is it "FAIR" ..PROBABLY..... only based on the fact that others are asking for around the same. MY question was basically is asking for a few thousand less than the asking price realistic. Do they usually go for a bit less than the asking price. That was my question.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Could be your poor choice of words rotfl

Is it "FAIR" ..PROBABLY..... only based on the fact that others are asking for around the same. MY question was basically is asking for a few thousand less than the asking price realistic. Do they usually go for a bit less than the asking price. That was my question.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
Just because I'm asking a question, that does not mean I have to agree with the answers I'm getting. Learn the English language first. Then reply.
Are you trying to convince us or yourself?

Welcome to the Lotus community you wish to be a part of.:panic:

To answer your question: No, you are not being realistic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The ultimate value, be it a car or home is not based on what the seller is asking. Sometimes a home or car is listed too low and other times too high. Believe it or not there are many above asking price offers and sales in certain real estate market segments. Educating yourself on the particular market is alway's the best option before the negotiation rather then simply knocking dollars off the asking price.
Regardless on what similar homes/automobiles/motorcycles/BMX bikes/Tonka trucks are going for. If someone posts a price and you DO NOT OFFER less than that particular price... do I need to continue?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.