The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago, I noticed that whenever I revved too high to get moving from a dead stop I would notice a peculiar smell that reminded me of just one thing: cheap hotdogs on a grill!
Lately the smell has started flooding the cabin for half a minute at a time while cruising on the highway. Happens every 100 miles or so. What could make such a smell? The coolant level seems fine and the oil is steady. Perhaps the transmission fluid? Maybe there's a dead animal stuck somewhere?
This guide here suggests maybe burning brakes:
8 Ways to Diagnose Car Smells - wikiHow

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Sounds like you're smelling your burnt clutch? Don't know about the highway smell though. If you were cruising in 6th and got on it, that can cause a clutch to slip. Maybe that's it.

·
av8or21
40 Posts
It smells like old socks when I turn the heat on high! Yuck!

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you're smelling your burnt clutch? Don't know about the highway smell though. If you were cruising in 6th and got on it, that can cause a clutch to slip. Maybe that's it.
This was my first thought also. Should I be concerned about burning too much of it? How can I tell?

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,420 Posts
This was my first thought also. Should I be concerned about burning too much of it? How can I tell?
If it’s the clutch, it will soon become obvious when it will not transfer power from the block to the transmission. It will feel like the clutch is not fully engaged or slipping when trying to accelerate, at least that is my experience with other cars.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Check for objects on top or below your radiator. Might be something dead underneath. It probably happens when your radiator fan turns on (which is why it's not constant). The radiator air usually wafts its way into the cabin from the roof or windows.

Might also be a bad radiator fan too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts