The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself constantly looking at things to buy for my car. From major purchase items like a supercharger or a big brake kit, to a front splitter, mesh grilles/panels, upgrading some of the suspension, replacing worn parts, and trying to get way ahead on maintenance.

It seems never ending and always expensive. I've never thought this way about cars before. Though I admit I just sorta jumped in with two feet and bought my Elise. I'm so used to just doing the required due-diligence on normal wear and tear and that is pretty much it. I never thought about any of this kind of stuff before with my other cars (Honda's mainly)

I could easily put another 10-15k into my car and not even notice... what have I got myself into? Are you guys like this as well?

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Yeah, except I have just about everything I need for mine... Except there is a set of wheels I have been looking at, and of course I could save some weight if I buy a carbon fiber clam, and the car would be safer to drive if I get a better set of brake pads, then I'll probably be done. A nicer stereo would be nice. The OEM doesn't keep the time right.

·
Registered
668 Posts
haha me too... all my cars got the oil change, gas, and vacuumed... thats about it. this one got me in big trouble... i constantly look for stuff. probably another 3k will make it look good. and thats not including a supercharger or new rims. so maybe 10k total will be good. i was lucky to get a lot done so far. all mesh, skirts, front lip, turn signal delete, new sound system. the next thing is leather wrapped console from yellow99 and a diffuser.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Just depends on the person really. In my case I buy most of my cars as a "platform" really. So yea I knew I was going to sink a bunch into it.

Look on the bright side... we are putting aftermarket vendors (with many American designed/made parts) to work!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I completely understand, a few parts have magically added themselves to the Elise in the driveway.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I was the EXACT opposite with my 911 - it was exactly what I wanted the way it came to me. My Evora - diffusor, exhaust, cold air intake, front splitter, carbon fiber wrap for the pillars and back window frame (soon to be the top as well), wheels and lettering black'ed out.

Could easily and happily let the race guys here add a Turbo (once the warranty is gone maybe lol) and see how crazy it gets.

It is ALMOST as much fun thinking about modding, playing with, and tinkering with the car as driving it.

I do not think it is an "addiction" per-say and more of just another form of true appreciation.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,685 Posts
Yes, You are crazy.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
We easily put $35,000 into the Elise. One main idea with the Evora was to have just the opposite: no mods! So far so good.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Xhilr8n you also have a special edition Evora - something that I wouldn't mod with anything that couldn't be undone - such as the CAI and exhaust :) Those need to be changed lol.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Xhilr8n you also have a special edition Evora - something that I wouldn't mod with anything that couldn't be undone - such as the CAI and exhaust :) Those need to be changed lol.
True enough, but also part of why I went with that flavor.

Was telling my son last night that an NA Evora has (currently) the advantage of available CAI and exhaust options, making it a really cool and still fast car. There was one available here in the Electric blue color for ~$60,000 that I probably would have taken other than that color not being my taste.

No regrets on the Heritage S but I'll very likely do the CAI if it becomes available.

Must say though that having a quieter car does feel more modern and smooth and refined. A very very good package as stock :D

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
I find myself constantly looking at things to buy for my car. From major purchase items like a supercharger or a big brake kit, to a front splitter, mesh grilles/panels, upgrading some of the suspension, replacing worn parts, and trying to get way ahead on maintenance.

It seems never ending and always expensive. I've never thought this way about cars before. Though I admit I just sorta jumped in with two feet and bought my Elise. I'm so used to just doing the required due-diligence on normal wear and tear and that is pretty much it. I never thought about any of this kind of stuff before with my other cars (Honda's mainly)

I could easily put another 10-15k into my car and not even notice... what have I got myself into? Are you guys like this as well?
You're like me is called ADD...

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
figure $10k/month in mods to the car until they commit you and put your finances under the stewardship of the court.... the judge seems to like me though. See you in the looney bin...

·
Back to the Future, again
6,155 Posts
Relatively speaking, modding this car is not that expensive compared to other cars that you could have been playing with and also the maintenance ain't so bad. Honestly, you could be trying to mod a Ferrari or Lambo and after you spend $170 for the special keychain and $320 for the Ferrari logo driving shoes, you wouldn't have any money left anyway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's easy to catch the "modding" bug..
But hey, if you can afford it, why not?
Like posted above, these cars are relatively inexpensive to mod. :coolnana:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes you are crazy... for not wanting to modify previous cars lol.
Each person just needs to figure out how far they want to go with it and why. I am trying to get mine setup as a reliable track car with decent power, not a monster but not going for comfort on the road. However i would like a Lamborghini someday so i can't put all my money into the Lotus.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
nope not crazy at all. ive got about 15k left of parts i want. its a sickness with no cure.

as far as addictons car cars>herion. so you got that going for you, which is nice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts