The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are working on our contracts and it looks like we will be relocating to Orlando.

I've been reading a lot on citydata.com and it seems like everyone that lives there hates it. Crime, traffic, and rudeness seems to prevail as top complaints.

Am I going to hate it there? Can anyone post positive things about Orlando?
I'm starting to have second thoughts.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Mice. Really big ones.

Tourists. Really big ones.

Kill all of them and it would probably not be so bad.

Is relocating part of your desire or is the VA sending you elsewhere?

G

·
Lived here all of my life.

• Crime is getting worse
  • Drivers are terrible (tourists, immigrants, or people that don't know the rules).
  • Rush-hour traffic is decent, and the city is constantly building new roads, overpasses
  • Housing market is in the dumps, but good deals if you want to buy a house.
  • Cost of living is not terribly bad
  • It gets ridiculously hot and humid starting in June through late September
  • There are good parts and bad parts of town.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mice. Really big ones.

Tourists. Really big ones.

Kill all of them and it would probably not be so bad.

Is relocating part of your desire or is the VA sending you elsewhere?
Thanks. I forgot about tourists.
Crime, rudeness, traffic and tourists. :(

Thankfully, the VA doesn't really send us anywhere, it's only at our request. The reason for the relocation is that my wife is finishing her fellowship and we wanted to be closer to family. We've been in Texas for 5 years while all of our family was in Florida. It's been hard enough being away from family with 2 kids, but now we have a third one on the way.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

• Crime is getting worse
  • Drivers are terrible (tourists, immigrants, or people that don't know the rules).
  • Rush-hour traffic is decent, and the city is constantly building new roads, overpasses

Have you been tempted to leave? Are there some positives?

G

·
Well... there is lots to do year round if you like the outdoors.
Water is within one-hour distance from anywhere.
You can enjoy your Lotus year-round
Orlando is a sub-urban type community... everyone drives everywhere for everything... unlike a big city like New York

I love Central Florida because I love to boat and fish
I don't tolerate the heat well anymore

Sometimes I wish I could move to a small farming town in the middle of nowhere, where everyone knows everyone else... crime is non-existent... they have fairs and community pic-nics... you know the kind of stuff that is make-believe.

·
Registered
95 Posts
"Welcome to Orlando, The happiest place on earth"

Just came back from a week in Disney.. I know.. not what "Orlando" is all about about BUT... I was intrigued by the airlines and the airport constantly advertising "Welcome to Orlando, The happiest place on earth".

Could it be... really?

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I would live on a coast and commute to Orlando.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm an Orlando native too. I moved up to Ithaca, NY for college and I've worked in NJ and MI. I'm definitely an Orlando hater. It's too hot, too much traffic, too many people, homes are too expensive (that may have changed since the last time I went).

Every time I go back I'm surprised how much growth there has been. There are the same strip malls and stores on every block. I would strongly recommend Seminole County over Orange County, especially if you have kids. There are the touristy things to do, lots of malls, Disney, Universal, SeaWorld (the theme parks are quite expensive).

Orlando is centrally located, an hour or so and you can be in Daytona or Tampa, a lot longer if you want to go to Miami (it's a long state). It's also a very flat state with miles and miles of flat boring roads. I hear mythical tales of a few driving roads, but I've never had the pleasure of driving on them.

The weather is great in the fall and winter, but in the summer it's oppressively hot and humid. As soon as you step outside from the nice AC you can feel all your vitality drain away. There is also a lot of rain, much more than you'd expect given it's called the Sunshine State.

Florida isn't all bad, but I'm hard pressed to think of the good parts. In short, it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

·
Registered
856 Posts

• Crime is getting worse
And don't forget about the retirees. You get to dodge all the Buicks being driven by hunched-over geriatrics on their way to the early-bird special at Denny's. I am a cyclist and most of my friends that live in central Florida have been struck and injured by the terrible old drivers that weave their way down the roads trying to remember which pedal stops the car. Bless their hearts. This is the biggest reason I could not live in Florida.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please, somebody say something positive.

Here is what I'm hoping. I lived in Baltimore for 4 years and LOVED it. Everyone complained about how dirty and crime ridden it was, but they all lived in the subarbs and only watched the news. I lived downtown in Fells Point and always found great things to do, loved the weather, the festivals, the short trips to other great cities, etc.

I'm hoping this is the case with Orlando too (that my opinion will differ from others) but there just seems to be so much negativity that I'm wondering if we should reconsider.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
G

·
Orlando is terrible with cultural stuff.

There are a few small farmer's market things, but they really kinda suck. No real culinary centers either.

No real places to go and sit outdoors at a cafe and enjoy the weather and have a bit to eat.. everything is indoors.

Again, if you like the outdoors our outdoor-type activies, then there is a lot to do in Florida a hop, skip, and a jump from Orlando

·
Registered
4 Posts
orlando has it's advantages

I find Orlando a clean and fairly quiet place to live. The tourists mainly stay near Disney, Universal and I-Drive. If you are looking for a place my friend has some new properties for rent. Try Taraba Properties online or email me. ([email protected]) Best of luck to you.
Paul G.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sorry to pile-on, but Orlando is also boring as hell, has zero culture, and is humid as a MoFo in the Summer. I am moving back out West and can't wait to leave!!!!!

For the love of God adjust your contracts..... the world does not have enough money to make it worth wile to live here. Seriously, do not move here under any circumstances.

Military brat and have lived everywhere including places like Alaska and all of them had some virtue. Orlando on the other hand, will just slowly suck the life out of you leaving you without the energy to leave. This is the only reason it is populated!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts