The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, well i'm an 18 year old on my way to my first year of college at Vanderbilt University next year, and i was just wondering if a lotus would be an ok car in that kind of enviroment. I know you're thinking that my father is paying for it, but i've saved up my money from the last five years from caddying at the local country club. I have been obsessed with the lotus brand ever since my father bought an espirit a few years back. The school is in Nashville Tennessee and i have already found a garage at which i can keep my car. I am currently driving the exact opposite of an elise with My '02 cobra and i just cannot stand the gas mileage. So if there are any Elise owners that live in Tennessee i'd like to hear how the elise does in that climate. Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
IMO, it's a terrible college car. It's fragile and cannot possibly carry even a tenth of your stuff. It's another item to worry about at a time you should be focused on two things. Studying and partying. I think the acid in vomit would be likely to do bad things to the aluminum tub.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea i could see where you're coming from....I might just keep the cobra until i'm done with college. I still might get the elise but it will be garaged at my house in the suburbs for only summer use.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Both my son and daughter are in college at UGA and GSU respectively. College students and campus settings are notoriously hard on cars, therefore both my kids have drive used Camrys/Accords. Sell the Cobra, buy something cheap that has good gas mileage, then buy an Elise (if you must) for weekends/summers and keep it at your folks' house. Personally, I would put off purchasing the Elise at 18, as I think about what an idiot I was at your age. It's fun to drive, but you can get in over your head in a heartbeat. Buy something like a Miata, do some mods, and participate in some good driving school or autocross events for the next few years. When you have some experience under your belt, take the money you've saved and buy that Elise. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
4,451 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Saving up to make payments on an Elise vs. saving up to buy an Elise are two different animals. :D And then there's the cost of ownership...

How your car is getting beat on in a college parking lot is the last thing you should have to worry about while there. Heck, I'd sell the Cobra and buy a beater that gets good mpg and save up for a really slick ride when you graduate. That might even motivate your parents to chip in for one as a grad present.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Yea i could see where you're coming from....I might just keep the cobra until i'm done with college. I still might get the elise but it will be garaged at my house in the suburbs for only summer use.
keep the cobra, but dont get the car and garage it. the deprecitation will be like throwing money in the trash. the cars depreciate fast, get the car when you can use it, like as a reward for sucsessfully finishing college.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm 24 and enjoying my elise. Looking back, it would have been a terrible idea to have this in college.

1. Get a beater car for college. It can be a GOOD beater, like a used Jag, or BMW from the late '90's. But it has to be a car that you would not mind getting dinged, keyed, barfed on, etc. The rule of thumb for a college vehicle is it should not cost more than $10K. It may LOOK like it does, but it shouldn't.
2. Graduate
3. Buy yourself an elise
4. Profit!

·
Registered
417 Posts
IMO, it's a terrible college car. It's fragile and cannot possibly carry even a tenth of your stuff. It's another item to worry about at a time you should be focused on two things. Studying and partying. I think the acid in vomit would be likely to do bad things to the aluminum tub.
:crazyeyes:crazyeyes:crazyeyes:crazyeyes:crazyeyes:crazyeyes

WOW........:eek:, I just don't know what to say after that????:confused::confused:

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the imput guys.... I really appreciate it.
And to answer a few of your questions....
I am going to Vanderbilt on a full ride.
I caddied 3 times a day during the summer and yes i once caddied with a buddy of mine for Tiger when he was in town a few years back. Real nice guy but cheap as could be. Only gave us each 100 for 36 holes.
As for buying the cobra, i got it as a totaled car for 3,000, and my father and i have rebuilt it from the ground up. Its fast as could be but not too fun in the snow. i.e. rear wheel drive, no traction control, 400hp, and Pirelli PZeros... not a good combo for living in chicago
Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
:rolleyes: Oh....I know. It will only carry two small books.:rolleyes:See what happens when you don't focus on studing!!:rolleyes:
Yes, you make spelling errors like studing instead of studying. rotfl

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bob, for the next two days I am still the owner of an 03 Cobra, before it gets shipped to Nebraska ( and then I get my Elise) Instead of going to the lotus, why not pick up a Terminator?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.