The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the wheels are off, it's easy to poke through the brake dust packing the holes in the rotors.:D

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I've run with someone at the track who brought a guy with him who did this between every session.

I use slotted rotors so I don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
on my old saab (1988) I use to do that, those x-drilled rotor holes clogged really easily. Now the car has 335mm AP Racing brakes & they do not clog :)

Kinda defeats the purpose of having those holes if they are packed full of crap :(

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
what do you use to poke the hole with? a shish-ka-bob stick?:D

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
365 Posts
+1 to a Hanger and Pipe Cleaner...admittedly, the task does feel like a waste of time, but for some reason, I am compelled to keep doing it.:shrug:

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Wow.

I never would have thought about doing that in a million years. But I'll probably check out my "holes" the next time I drive the car.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I did this every oil change myself. If I had a track nearby, im sure itd be after every session. The holes will fully clog up, defeating their purpose.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You guys don't figure that new dust just pushes the old dust out the backs of the holes?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
You guys don't figure that new dust just pushes the old dust out the backs of the holes?
Well, for one, no, its very VERY hard, and sometimes takes a real good tap to break the clunk out.

And two, even if that were true, you would have brakes that arent cooling efficiently, therefore fading faster than they should be.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
When I work on the brakes, I have an air hose handy (because of the impact gun - for taking the wheels off, not on), so it's easy to blow the holes out. I also blow the crude out of the internal rotor vents on all my cars... :shrug:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts