The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending yesterday at Texas World Speedway in my Subaru STi I started to worry about the strength of this car overall. I drive quite agressivley on the track and can say that I am a good driver but no expert. The track has little room for off's and has lots of curbs on the tight portions of the track. Every once in a while I will nip a curb (for any number of reasons), but I dont want to think that this car (the elise) will be adversly hurt from a small curb, or an off at the track. It just seems so fragile to me, does anyone else agree? or am I just going stur crazy?

ADamP

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Judging from the huge number of people who do track days in elise in the UK (SELOC events) The elise must not be that terribly fragile. But I don't know how it'll stand up to "nipping curbs", tapping walls etc.

also, repair costs would be significantly higher than an Sti.

Chris

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I'm more concerned about the raised Ford Expedition that rear ends & rolls over me. :(

·
Registered
825 Posts
Adam P said:
After spending yesterday at Texas World Speedway...
Glad to hear that you made it out to TWS. It is a great track with lots of elevation/camber changes and high speed corners. My Elise will spend a lot of time at the track. Three reasons:

1) I've done dozens of track days, including thousands of participants, and have only seen 7 cars get hurt. Most of the damage could be buffed out or painted over.
2) At the track there are no drunk drivers, cell phones or intersections.
3) I'll never approach the Elise's capabilities on the street. The Elise's track abilities are why I am getting it rather than a Ferrari 328.

We're in the same delivery at Gonzaba. Assuming it arrives in time, my Elise will hit the track June 12th (www.thedriversedge.net). If you're not sure whether to bring your Elise, come ride in mine. I bet it doesn't suck...

·
Banned
901 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
I'm more concerned about the raised Ford Expedition that rear ends & rolls over me. :(

Allan:

My wife worries every time I'm out in the Esprit about the guy in the HUGE 4X4 rolling over me. If it happens, let's hope it goes fast! :)

Mark

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Am I the only scared one here?

JeffersonRaley said:
Glad to hear that you made it out to TWS. It is a great track with lots of elevation/camber changes and high speed corners. My Elise will spend a lot of time at the track. Three reasons:

1) I've done dozens of track days, including thousands of participants, and have only seen 7 cars get hurt. Most of the damage could be buffed out or painted over.
2) At the track there are no drunk drivers, cell phones or intersections.
3) I'll never approach the Elise's capabilities on the street. The Elise's track abilities are why I am getting it rather than a Ferrari 328.

We're in the same delivery at Gonzaba. Assuming it arrives in time, my Elise will hit the track June 12th (www.thedriversedge.net). If you're not sure whether to bring your Elise, come ride in mine. I bet it doesn't suck...

Jefferson,

I have done a ton of drivers edge events and over time I have moved to the motorsport club with TWS due to less traffic, more runs, and less costs. I am just nervous I think. I also dont think we will have our cars by june, I would put some money down on that!!

It seems that every time I leave a driving school or a track day I am so tired that I consider not returning. I consider going to a more normal daily driver with a more comfy ride. A month later I go back to wanting another race car, which I regret selling every day.. I think this hesitation will go away soon, but every day I consider not buying an elise, and then the next I just have to have it, I think I am Bi-Polor!

AdamP

·
Registered
495 Posts
On the track it can take the abuse. If you're really smashing over the kerbs, then expect a couple of bend wishbones (which I just put in a press and straighten out if not to bad).

On the road it's very strong - seen plenty of bad crashes that people have walked away from. You're probably safer in an Elise than an SUV, since SUV's don't have to meet the same safetly standards as 'regular' road cars - big does not mean safer - in Europe they have an independent testing agency called NCAP. You would be surprised at the number of SUV type vehicles that do poorly in their crash tests. In addition it's a lot easier to get into trouble in an SUV. I still wouldn't want to go head to head with one!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It seems I have read on this forum that some transverse links in the rear may be a weak spot. Did someone mention that some were bent in Australia when an Elise spun on R compound tires?

·
Registered
637 Posts
James A said:
It seems I have read on this forum that some transverse links in the rear may be a weak spot. Did someone mention that some were bent in Australia when an Elise spun on R compound tires?
Are you talking about rear toe-links?

If so, you'll be pleased to know that there are two sorts - alu (original) and steel (motorsport) types.

The steel ones can deal with the loads generated by pretty extreme rubber... I'd wait and see what you guys are getting before deciding to upgrade - you might end up with racing spec ones anyway...

Craigy

·
Registered
495 Posts
Craigy, I think you're referring to the hubs not the toe links. A lot of people swear by the ali hubs, but it's a moot point since they don't do the ali ones anymore.

If you're running sticky tyres then fit upgraded toe links. A lot of people don't bother and never have a problem. For the average owner on road tyres it's not an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts