The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Shroth 6 point harness in on the stock passenger seat of my Exige today. So far I am disappointed in the amount of movement I still have at the shoulders. First off I'll admit that it is quite possible that I have missed something in the install. I also have limited experience with harnesses. But my memory tells me that I should be much tighter in the shoulders and more "uncomfortable". I am using the V-force brace and the bottom of the bar is even with the top of my shoulders. It does seem that if it were lower it would be able to restrain me better. I have lost the motivation to do the driver's seat at this point.

I don't know if I am looking for suggestions or just sympathy (pity?) for my lack of height.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
What I do (in the drivers seat which does move):

1) Attach all harneses.
2) Slide and twist my body to each side as I cinch down each of the shoulder belts.
3) Move the seat forward two clicks

This gets everything VERY tight.

Since the passenger seat doesn't move, you will have to forgo step 3. However, adding in step two should help in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
yeti, is it possible for someone to take a picture of you (from the neck down ;) ) while strapped into the seat? i think that might shed some light on the geometry you've got.

are you small framed, in addition to being height challenged?

and finally to confirm, you're tightening the lap belts first, the going on the the shoulder belts?

one note: with the driver's seat, it is possible to get the harnesses MUCH tighter, due to the possibility of sliding the seat forward a notch or two after you're done pulling on the belts.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had the seats out so long through the winter I forgot the driver's side moves. I guess tomorrow I go ahead and install that side. thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am 5'6" and use the Schroth 6 pt. harness (with a modified stock Exige S seat). Agree with all that has been said above. You also need to make sure that the 5/6 straps are adjusted very short, as these are what keep the lap belt low, allowing you to get good tension on the shoulder straps. Unfortunately the 5/6 straps are the hardest to adjust, as it has to be done before you put the seat in the car. In my car I only have 3-4 inches of strap plus the metal part above the seat cushion.

By the way, it might be overkill on my part, but I use the harness all of the time. I do it because I don't want any confusion if I need to exit the car quickly. It is now second nature.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got the driver's seat done and back in. I don't think I have managed to adjust things correctly yet. I've been nearly getting frustrated enough to sell the car and join the locals by getting a sprint car to go dirt racin'. :crazyeyes

·
Registered
377 Posts
What have you attached the 5/6 belts to? Do they come through the seat?

Jerry

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Things are much improved. I need to do some adjustment to the shoulder belts at the bar still. The shoulder wiggle and moving the seat up have helped alot. I got things so tight that I had to struggle to reach the heater controls. Forty-five degrees at 80mph with the top off (first time ever) is a bit chilling.

Jerry I have a cut out with a Sparco insert in the seat that the 5/6 belts pass through. I have them attached to the titanium Dave bar that I believe Ace10 convinced me to get.

Thanks for everybodies input. Scott

·
Registered
377 Posts
The real test is running through some twisties. It is much more fun when you are well strapped into the seat.

Jerry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts