The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hanging around here for a couple of months and learning everything I can about the Elise and Exige S. I've had a few test drives and have decided that one of these is the car for me. I prefer the looks of the Exige and REALLY want one. But the only 'sports' car I've ever owned is a Mazda Miata (a pretty base model with nothing much but a sports suspension, which I drove for 6 happy years) and have never taken an HPDE course, so I'm wondering if an Exige S is simply overkill for me. I don't know if I'll ever spend much time tracking the car, but I would like to take some HPDE courses and really learn how to drive the car properly. Without the requisite driving skill, am I worthy of owning an Exige S? Are most of the Exige owners around these parts highly skilled HP drivers or are many of you just car enthusiasts like me who love the Exige and want to own one and enjoy becoming a more skilled driver with one?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
me=big time car enthusiast, so i wanted to own one and get better as a driver with it (exige S)

get what you can afford and get good at it...there are peeps here with elises who drive faster on track than some (or most) exige s owners LOL

if the S "floats your boat" and it wont hurt the pocket that bad then i'd say go for it

my .02

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
MANY owners never track the car. Buy it for whatever reason you like. There is no test for suitability, except perhaps an appreciation for what it is.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
In the world of sports cars, the Elise/Exige are very much entry level, not much different that your Miata. Like Randy said, many if not most owners don't even track on a regular basis, I don't. Buy what looks good to you and have fun with it.

·
Banned
874 Posts
as long as you dont put tv's in ur headrestsrotfl

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Many users here tend to make the cars out to be hard-core race cars that are hardly suited for anything but track use and that probably intimidates some people, but that's not entirely the case IMO. These are road cars and can be enjoyed on public roads. Sure, they have many compromises, but like Randy said, you have to appreciate what it is.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Get whatever makes you happy if you want the S get one. Many people really don't track these cars which is a shame cause once you track anything there is no looking back from that point on you will be hooked if you run with a good club. I know of one individual that literally does a lapping/hpde once a week. "During the season" He goes to every available event and has a blast in a turbo Spec Miata.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
If you appreciate performance and handling, style, beauty and the "trackability" of this 1/2 road car, 1/2 race car....Elise/ Exige is definitely your considereration!

Unfortunately, a lot of buyers are looking for a "cool looking" sports car.

"Mr. Fancy Pants with the clown car to impress the public"

If that is you're attitude, you'll be disappointed!:sad:

BTW Does the public sees Lotus owners like that???:eek:

"Mr. Fancy Pants with the clown car to impress the public" ???:eek::eek::eek:

If you can't deal with the public's view of us, look somewhere else.

But if YOU appreciate the attributes of this car (handling, performnce, style) and you love driving on backroads, canyons, mountain twisties or on the track....and the car pleases YOU (and ONLY YOU)....welcome to the family!:D You're WORTHY!
--Hal

·
Registered
566 Posts
BTW Does the public sees Lotus owners like that???:eek:

"Mr. Fancy Pants with the clown car to impress the public" ???:eek::eek::eek:
I've never gotten that impression from the public. I think people just think it looks cool, period. I recall driving down Santana Row on a Friday night, and I got a lot of "NICE CAR!" yells and people stopping to snap pics of the car driving by. Actually, that was the usual response everywhere I drove.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have not had my S on the track yet, but I didn't buy it for that reason. I love purpose built machines that have few comprimises, kind of like a special tool for a specific job. The one thing I didn't give enough consideration was the amount of attention these little cars draw from the general public. Last month I was on Vancouver Island and come out of the hotel only to find a bunch of girls taking pictures of each other with my (dirty) Exige. They were supposed to be loading onto thier bus, but they had to have pics before they left. I was talking with the chaparone(sp) in charge. She gave up knowing they weren't leaving until everybody got pics.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
These cars quickly and easily make you feel more skilled as a driver.

Even so, you shouldn't feel any pressure to take the car to the track. Tracking a car is a risk. Only you can assess the amount of risk you are willing to take.

From what you have shared, I highly doubt you would ever regret buying this car.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Take Two home, their small!
(slogan stolen from old HOT VW's mags ad)

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
worthy...james worthy

:shrug:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Any Miata driver is worthy of an Elise/Exige unless you drive an automatic :no:

As to which one, I too occassionally ask the same question. I like the look of the Exige S but driving in the Bay Area, even in the suburbs requires complete visual and the Exige makes me more nervous. As for open-top motoring, the Elise comes ready-to-go but the Exige S would have to be a 220 with some mods if you need the soft top.

In any case, go get whichever one talks to you most.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the look of the Exige S but driving in the Bay Area, even in the suburbs requires complete visual and the Exige makes me more nervous.
I hear you. I test drove the Exige in Los Gatos recently and lane changes did make me a bit nervous - but I think it's something I'd get used to over time, especially if I had multivex mirrors which are supposed to really help things.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
"During the season" He goes to every available event and has a blast in a turbo Spec Miata.
You can take a Spec Miata and put a turbo on it. Once you do it is no longer a Spec Miata. There is no such thing as a "turbo Spec Miata."

xtn

1 - 20 of 41 Posts