The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a photo taken of me when I was spinning (not exactly proud of this) at buttonwillow raceway during the lotus challenge series time trial during April 2008.

Luckily, a photographer from autoblog was covering the event and caught it.

Autoblog

Mark

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
This is a photo taken of me when I was spinning (not exactly proud of this) at buttonwillow raceway during the lotus challenge series time trial during April 2008.

Luckily, a photographer from autoblog was covering the event and caught it.

Autoblog

Mark
That is a great shot, Mark. Is that at Bus Stop?

EDIT: Or the bottom of Lost Hill?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Wow! Great shot!

So these things CAN spin?!

-poke-

I was lurking on the forums before buying mine, hearing about people losing them around corners and how bald A048's were scary...

Ive got a turbo on mine WITH bald A048's and just drove it in the rain the past few days.

I enjoy oversteer :D

If you think these things are scary drive a miata with bald tires in the rain lol

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Should show people that picture and casually mention your rally championship trophies at home in the closet.

xtn

·
Registered
124 Posts
First off, great shot! I bet that was really good for the paint rotfl

Now, you mention bald A048's, how do you know when they are too bald to be safe? I just bought my 06 with 7k miles on them, and the back tires look to be almost gone, but then again, it doesn't look like they had a whole lot of deep tread to begin with, hence I dont' think the "penny" test would work on these tires even if they were new.

I just don't want to spin out like that on a public road into a tree!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ouch. You're going to be finding dirt and bits of CA vegetation lurking in unexpected places for months :)

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
^ That was my first thought too

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
First off, great shot! I bet that was really good for the paint rotfl

Now, you mention bald A048's, how do you know when they are too bald to be safe? I just bought my 06 with 7k miles on them, and the back tires look to be almost gone, but then again, it doesn't look like they had a whole lot of deep tread to begin with, hence I dont' think the "penny" test would work on these tires even if they were new.

I just don't want to spin out like that on a public road into a tree!

You should ask exarkun to show a pic of the rear tires he just had on his car. I don't think anyone has ever taken the A048's that low ever.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is a great shot, Mark. Is that at Bus Stop?

EDIT: Or the bottom of Lost Hill?

it was at sunrise. It was the beginning of the 2nd lap and apparently the tires werent hot enough and didnt have grip. I had been taking that turn the same all day.

Mark

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
how fast where you a goin?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I think thats the same spot mark took my exige S for a dirt bath too, still cleaning dust out of it, everyone enjoys telling me about buttonwillows radioactive history.

great pic though.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how fast where you a goin?
it was well, all a blur. :) right before this turn is a full throttle straightaway going maybe 100-110, and then you slam on your brakes to make the turn. the spin happened right after the turn and i was probably going about 65 at the time.

Mark

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
You should ask exarkun to show a pic of the rear tires he just had on his car. I don't think anyone has ever taken the A048's that low ever.
i just tried looking for the pic, its not on this computer. my steel belts were showing.

i arrived at the auto x knowing i did not have much tread, however, my tires had not arrived yet, so, shrug.

well first 3 laps i ran and had the worst times and was crazy over steer, spinning a few times in each lap, with out pushing it. after the third lap my instructor got out and saidhe found my problem. he took me to the rear of the car and there in all its glory my steel belts the whole length of the tire. oops.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts