The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
WOW :eek: I remember the recent GT3 crash that was posted on this site, sad :(

Last week, me and Neil were at Symbolic where we saw a 997 911 silver that went off a cliff. Car was done, looked like a coke can. Dealer said owner walked away with few cuts.

Incredible cars these are.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
He never went both feet in. Back and forth all over the place.

I wouldn't have gone both feet in with a trajectory towards the wall, but as soon as the direction of momentum changed away from the wall I would have locked in the direction right then.

xtn

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Yikes.... too close for comfort ! :crazyeyes

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
He probably hit that greasy patch on the exit of 17 where all the drag racers drop oil... then his fronts hooked up as he came out of it and nearly sent him into the wall. He looked to be pinching the exit too...
Yeah, I'm not so sure lifting was the problem. Why would he lift at the end of the turn? He is almost in the straight just before he loses it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Nice job on your end avoiding that mess. I'll bet you flat spotted your tires, but saved the car!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Yeah, I'm not so sure lifting was the problem. Why would he lift at the end of the turn? He is almost in the straight just before he loses it.
Key word: Almost. He took an early apex and was heading for the wall as it was. He probably saw that, lifted, and you saw the rest.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually turn 17 at Sebring is a huge turn, And you want to be right up close to the wall when you exit to keep the speed up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Key word: Almost. He took an early apex and was heading for the wall as it was. He probably saw that, lifted, and you saw the rest.

100% correct Early apex followed by to much throttle then lifting = -eek-

It takes more than 1 error to get in trouble and he made several. We came along right after it happened and he was sitting on the side of the track.

Peter

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
One of the instructors ran his GT3 into the wall at PIR last week.
The car looked pretty bad, but thankfully the driver was ok...

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
It looks like he did go two feet in a couple times. His brakes come on and off.

Glad everyone was ok.

·
Registered
712 Posts
100% correct Early apex followed by to much throttle then lifting = -eek-

It takes more than 1 error to get in trouble and he made several. We came along right after it happened and he was sitting on the side of the track.
From what I could see and hear in the video, it seemed the GT3 lost rear traction because there was a bump on his lane at the end of the turn. I saw the car went up an down for a moment while accelerating.

How you guys could tell he lefted after an early apex in that video?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have never driven road atlanta, and without knowing anything about it I am pretty sure his missed his apex by about 5 feet, which is a HUGE miss on a high speed steady state turn.

That is pretty much it, once that happens its all about mitigating the inevitable oversteer that will occur. I can understand why he didnt go immediately to feet in, because that would have for sure put him straight into that left hand wall. He was trying to ease out of the throttle, countersteer, and reduce his momentum, but at some point when the 3rd tail wag got him he probably just mashed the brake and the clutch and hoped for the best.

I did something very similar at Thunderhill in Northern Cali on mybe my 10th track day. I thought I was some big hotshot in my BMW M coupe and was taking turn 8 (for those that know the track) at close to 103mph or so (which is about 8 mph than I ever go through that turn now, I learned my lesson). I missed the apex by a good 4 feet, which put me going straight for the dirt, kind of sideways, since oversteer with tail wag to the right started maybe 20 feet past the apex, I tried to counter, realized I was going to hit the dirt going kind of sideways at probably 80+ and then cranked the wheel to the wheel to the left (since my tail had already stepped out left BIG TIME), and mashed both fee to the ground. The rest is a blur, but i think I spun about 2 times and ended up doughnutting into the dirt at maybe 20 or 30mph.

So I totally sympathize with this gt3 driver. Ultimately there is only *1* real cause for that spin. He was going too fast. Everyone can argue all sorts of stuff, but the reality is: "If you go around a turn and miss an apex, or an entry, or dont perform that turn in an excellent manner, it means you need to slow down, and work on perfecting it. The speed will come with perfection, trying to drive fast only ends up in missing apexes and wadding cars against walls"

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was at a BMWCCA event at Lime Rock with my instructor last year and had a similar scary moment in a 997 GT3 (heading towards the uphill, too much speed, undsteer, then lightness at the top, oversteer, a series of minor errors leading up to a scary moment. There was no spin, but a split second close call that he saved. At that same event, a very experienced driver destroyed his 996 gt3 cup car on the left hander. We were sitting in the paddock debriefing after the run, and my instructor told me that after 30 years of hpde, instructing, and road racing, he is still scared of the 911 platform, and specifically of the gt3 (he had driven turbos previously, which allow for more error).

I have really been dreaming of a 996 or 997 gt3 for my next car, but compared to these guys, I am an awful driver. Even the elise is a handful at this point. I just don't see it ending well, so I'm beginning to think that, from now on, I'll look to track front-engined cars and reserve mid-engine platforms for autox and sporty street drivng.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Watch the video close again, the car's rear hopped when it hits a concrete seam/ transition this lighten the rear end, the pilot did not reach well, and then.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts