The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
A guy I knew with a Supra spent about $2500 on the paint.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Miles from FIbreglass services wants £800 just to respray the front half of my front clam. That's $1300ish.

I wonder what he charges for the whole car....

Craigy

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I've heard that the biggest problem with that paint is that if something happens, say a small off-course excursion, or worse, a Ford Excursion in a parking lot, causes a little localized damage, rather than just painting the damaged panel, the whole car needs to be re-sprayed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The colour-shift paint is around £400 quid a litre not sure what that is dollar/quart but it ain't cheap

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK just had a quote of £3000.
The paint itself is £350 a litre according to my paint guy.

Craigy

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well,
1 litre is 1.05 quarts

£350 GBP is $560 USD

So I guess the figure is about $600USD a quart for the "flip" paint.

Craigy

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Looks like I wasn't the only one impressed by the paint on the sinclaire car... lots of people on SELOC now asking how much is cost and so on. Interestingly my paint fellow was pretty close to the mark when he said £3000... Sinclare want £4000 for the job but they include the cost of fixing blemishes on the current paint before putting the pearlescent flip paint on.

http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=6650

Craigy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow, I love it! Technically that isn't a color, I believe it's more correctly a patina. It resembles that of niobium and its thin oxide, for any of you that are materials geeks. It can't cost that much because I see cars painted like that in my ghetto neighborhood on a semi-regular basis.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
demi said:
It can't cost that much because I see cars painted like that in my ghetto neighborhood on a semi-regular basis.
Actually.... :)

Spend too much on paint=live in ghetto. heh.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Actually you should see some of the paintjobs - they are nothing short of amazing. There's one tiger striped Impala with gold Daytons and what looks like a patent leather Landau top, and the owner's family name in gold filigree with the words DO BIGGER AND BETTER THINGS...

Oh hell yes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts