The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I'm looking for a set top player that supports both Amazon Instant Video -and- Netflix.

I have an old Panasonic Blu-Ray player that has Amazon Instant Videos but not Netflix. Trying to find one that supports both is kinda difficult.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Roku works well for Amazon Instant and Netflix. It basically supports almost everything but iTunes. I got the Roku 2 XS because I had a 20% discount and wanted a wired ethernet port, and the RF remote is really nice. There's also a $49 base-model and a couple in between.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Defenestrator.

Does the Roku 2 XS allow you to search for titles across services? I just saw the Logitech Revue and it uses a google search like feature ('Google TV') that brings up all of the available feeds.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have a roku also. It doesn't allow you to search across services. I don't know of a device that does. try CanIStream.It for that. Also note, the Roku is not a bluray player. if you did want a bluray player, I think sony has one that does amazon and netflix.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i like roku as well... fast, easy to use, many options

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'd also suggest ps3 as it plays both and more including 3D streaming and allows use of Bluetooth devices like keyboards for easier searches. One of the best all-in-one media devices available.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem with PS3 is that I don't want any of my personal info w/ Sony. If you want to use any of these apps, I assume you'll need to sign up and have some sort of account with them, and frankly I'd rather not have any personal info on any Sony network, given the screwups and cover-ups they did to all of their millions of customers.

Plus it's really too heavy of a solution for just streaming two primary feeds (netflix and amazon instant video). I already have a console and hardly use that one either.

I think I'm settled on the Logitech Revue.. Anyone have any thoughts on that one? Are there any problems with it I should know about?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the Sony google tv and blu-ray player. It has an excellent blu ray player, wifi and wired, netflix, amazon, media center friendly, small hard drive that is expandable, google services, hulu yadda yadda. I got mine on sale for 120 or so at the time, but there is a new one out. it does a lot but i don't use too much on it.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Problem with PS3 is that I don't want any of my personal info w/ Sony. If you want to use any of these apps, I assume you'll need to sign up and have some sort of account with them, and frankly I'd rather not have any personal info on any Sony network, given the screwups and cover-ups they did to all of their millions of customers.
You do have to have a Playstation Network account, but that just requires a user name and password. Possibly an email address. I agree, though, it's a very heavy solution for what you're looking for if you already have a blu-ray player and game console.

Apple TV would seem to be a great option for this sort of device, if they supported Amazon Prime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts