The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
raggedy1 said:
enough, how do I unsubscribe from a thread?

don't answer that, I'll figure it out...

;)
First you tell Tim about your Touring wheels and touring supension...

·
Registered
820 Posts
JnC said:
According to the parts list, the bulb for the amber slot has the same part number as the reverse bulb.

Bruce posted elsewhere that the reverse is a 21 watt H21 bulb (aka 1156 type).
Ah, I should have noted that 2+2=3.891

So that means he has no more reverse? Or did I miss a second "light center" on my car ha... if only it weren't so damn cold outside I'd walk to the garage and look...

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
JnC said:
According to the parts list, the bulb for the amber slot has the same part number as the reverse bulb.

Bruce posted elsewhere that the reverse is a 21 watt H21 bulb (aka 1156 type).
Sorry guys, that's incorrect. The reverse bulb is an H21 but that's not an 1156 type. The owners manual has the same bulb for the turn indicator which is an 1156 type so I assumed they were the same. But they're not. That's an error in the manual probably because the UK version does use the H21 for the turn indicator since they use the amber lens in the outside light.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
EldersburgElise said:
Okay I'll take this one. :D Newman, I thoroughly have enjoyed your first two posts, and you have been well received here. :clap: So I don't want to say anything that might miff you or your fans.

Having said that, it is not entirely clear what these photos are about.

From my perspective, it's just a picture of a tail light lighted up. When I bought my car, my tail lights already lighted up. So I don't get it. I'm sure you have accomplished something great. It's just that, from the photo one cannot tell what the goal was? What did you change? :shrug:

Thanks in advance...

Harold

haha, whoa. yeah. Thanks for the picture bruce. I think ALOT of people have no idea how their tail lights light up...

to clear up confusion:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Bruce said:
Sorry guys, that's incorrect. The reverse bulb is an H21 but that's not an 1156 type. The owners manual has the same bulb for the turn indicator which is an 1156 type so I assumed they were the same. But they're not. That's an error in the manual probably because the UK version does use the H21 for the turn indicator since they use the amber lens in the outside light.

damn you, i ordered 30 dollars worth of LED 1156 bulbs. grrr. <3 that's ok...

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
newman said:
damn you, i ordered 30 dollars worth of LED 1156 bulbs. grrr. <3 that's ok...
The 1156's can be used in the 4 gray sockets. Personally, I don't like the LED's. See the dim side on the right side in my pic? That's the LED's. Standard bulbs are on the left side. But since yours will be on all the time in the outside lamps in the taillight mode maybe it's not a good idea to use the standard bulbs since you might overheat the light assemblies. The stock taillight filaments are only 5 watts. And since you moved both gray sockets to the outside that's 21 watts each on all the time the taillights are on.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Yummy...:clap:
Newman,could you do a detailed writeup for those of us who haven't taken our taillights apart yet?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I added this thread to my "Elise Mods" favorites folder... newman, I second the request for a more detailed write up! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Bruce said:
The 1156's can be used in the 4 gray sockets. Personally, I don't like the LED's. See the dim side on the right side in my pic? That's the LED's. Standard bulbs are on the left side. But since yours will be on all the time in the outside lamps in the taillight mode maybe it's not a good idea to use the standard bulbs since you might overheat the light assemblies. The stock taillight filaments are only 5 watts. And since you moved both gray sockets to the outside that's 21 watts each on all the time the taillights are on.
i'll try and get more detailed writeup soon.

no, i already have LED bulbs for the red housings, but i bought them or the turn/reverse lights, oh well. not your fault... If you do this mod, you almost have to use LED bulbs unless you want to upgrade all the wiring...

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Bump,Newman,any more on the write up?-poke-

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
ummmm...-poke-

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
if someone takes close up pics of the two short wiring harnesses in the trunk, then i can do it now. Just the two8" long harnesses that are attached to each individual tail. so i can get the colors right. (no where near my car right now)

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
If it takes one wire for each bulb (2 wires, one for each half circle), why use both wires for the one bulb? Just put some heat shrink or E-tape on the other.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts