The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys seen the story about the Absolute ad? People were calling for a boycott. One blogger said he poured out his Absolute vodka.

I don't get it. But maybe that's just me. I don't have a problem with Mexico. I don't have a problem with history. And I don't think Vodka can (or even wants to) incite a revolution where Mexico repossesses its lost territory.

The guy that made the ad said that:

A) it wasn't meant for the US market
B) it harkened to a time when Mexico was a proud nation.

I didn't even need that explanation. This is just a big fat non-issue IMO

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Non issue, yeah.

But it got Absolut Vodka all over the news.....

Old maps are really cool to look at, especially the really old ones when mapmakers had no idea where anything was...

like this "map of the world..."

Attachments

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue in my opinion. Marketing is marketing, and they have a clever ongoing concept with their ads. In my opinion, they should run one in this country with Cuba being a U.S. territory. :p

To save you all from googling:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'm firmly apathetic about this.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I completely disagree. I could care less about the "intended market" and now that I've seen their ad campaign I will refuse their Vodkas at any event or gathering. Maybe it doesn't upset your apple cart but as a resident of Kalifornia, I am well aware of the negative impact of illegal immigration and the attitude of some that this part of the US still belongs to them. Drink what you like - They've made up my mind when it comes to their product and I am not alone.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
yet more evidence that humans have it so easy now that they'll complain about anything out of boredom.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
what - that map isnt accurate?:confused::D

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think that would piss off more people than the ad itself.
That was my fault. I paraphrased b/c as I was writing my post, I forgot his exact words and didn't want to open a new window to go get them. The words he used (which I still can't remember) basically alluded to a "better time" for them which I figure means:

* when this territory was still part of Mexico
* before the need for the Nuevo Peso
* before losing TX and having Mexico City invaded

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I completely disagree. I could care less about the "intended market" and now that I've seen their ad campaign I will refuse their Vodkas at any event or gathering. Maybe it doesn't upset your apple cart but as a resident of Kalifornia, I am well aware of the negative impact of illegal immigration and the attitude of some that this part of the US still belongs to them. Drink what you like - They've made up my mind when it comes to their product and I am not alone.
What does illegal immigration have to do with this ad? Do you think Mexicans come to California because they don't have the new maps? They come, not b/c they feel entitled to our land (as Mexicans) but because they envy the American lifestyle. They come "to cross the border". Mexicans would hate to see the border moved back to WY. Can you imagine how much farther they would have to travel to enter America? The purpose of the map was to remind them of a time before they wanted to leave their country so badly that they would risk being shot for the chance to spend weekends at the Home Depot for the chance to make $3/hour.

FWIW, the whole illegal immigration "issue" is just shiny keys to distract you from the things that are happening at the grown-up table (Iraq, Washington, etc) When's the last time an illegal immigrant got a job you went after?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
There was a small snippet in the Yahoo! article I saw this morning: "Some Mexicans use the term "Reconquista" (reconquest) to refer to the growing presence in California of Mexican migrants and their descendants." First time I've heard of it - nevertheless, I got a laugh out of it. For the record, I found the ad hilarious, but will never drink Absolut since an abomination of the potent potables world.

FWIW, the whole illegal immigration "issue" is just shiny keys to distract you from the things that are happening at the grown-up table (Iraq, Washington, etc) When's the last time an illegal immigrant got a job you went after?
On your immigrant point, there are sufficient arguments on both sides of the table, but I think the biggest concern amongst Americans isn't necessarily them "taking jobs away," rather their impact on our public services.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
There was a small snippet in the Yahoo! article I saw this morning: "Some Mexicans use the term "Reconquista" (reconquest) to refer to the growing presence in California of Mexican migrants and their descendants." First time I've heard of it - nevertheless, I got a laugh out of it. For the record, I found the ad hilarious, but will never drink Absolut since an abomination of the potent potables world.

On your immigrant point, there are sufficient arguments on both sides of the table, but I think the biggest concern amongst Americans isn't necessarily them "taking jobs away," rather their impact on our public services.
+1

Driving without insurance and not paying medical bills are two that come to mind for me. Those two make insurance and medical care expensive for all of us. We pay for those who do not. I personally know of a case where illegal immigrants owed in excess of $100K in medical bills. I also get phone calls from a local hospital for a different family that had my number before for their unpaid medical bills. They can't find them either to collect because they "don't exist" in this country and they may have never even had my number, they might have picked it out of a book and said it was theirs. As for an illegal immigrant taking a job from me, believe me I am not worried. I of course support legal immigration because that is how my ancestors got here, it is the illegal ones that I don't want here.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts