The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm looking to get an Elise but unfortunately I'll be deployed to Iraq for a year starting sometime in January and will be gone for atleast 12 months. Is there any way I could put a deposit down and order one now that would be ready in 2006 (a year from January)?

I'm not sure how long current waiting lists are.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
dark_muppet said:

I'm not sure how long current waiting lists are.
Long enough...Besides you can always fall back down the list. Good luck in never never land.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
It's possible, but I think the reality is that no dealer can give you a truly accurate estimate of when you'd get your car. If anything though, I think your car may arrive earlier (than 1/06), not later - in which case, when you get contacted to place your order, you can ask the dealer to bump you down the list into the next order group if it's too soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GREAT! As long as that wouldn't cost me any more money. I'm sure it varries from dealer to dealer, but what sort of deposit are they looking for in order to get on the list for a specific color/options?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Usually $1000, but my particular dealer required $2000. I'm not sure how the Elise market will develop but I imagine you could snag a car off the lot by then, but you may not get the exact colors/options you desire.

Good luck in Iraq.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well if I had it my way I'd try to get black with black interior, touring package, and silver racing stripes :D

Although that orange is wild!

$1000 is totally doable. Does that deposit act as a down payment towards the purchase price?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Yes it does. Get MSRP and the terms in writing if you can. I think you could find a black or orange car fairly easily down the road, but there's always a chance that you won't without ordering.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
By Feb 2006, I'd expect you could find a showroom with an Elise on the floor at MSRP or under. I could be totally wrong, but the demand doesn't seem to be holding that strong, and only 500+ cars have been delivered. A year's run of 2200 is looking a little more generous now.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think the main issue to be concerned about would be a price rise due to the bad exchange rates. That might be the major sticking point.

Hopefully the dealer would be willing to make a contract for current MSRP, on the basis that Elise hype may totally expire by Feb. 2006 and a person might be able to deal (buy for less than MSRP) at that time. Then they wouldn't mind locking in a contract for a fixed price. I don't know if we'll be able to tell if that's the case for several more months.

DLY

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
You don't need to work out financing until your car arrives. Likewise, you don't need to specify what color/options you want until closer to delivery date.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Aww, c'mon... It's not that hard to choose... Simple, really...

Ardent red. Or maybe Raing Green... Or Chrome Orange. That's it... Okay, maybe Aubergine Purple (where I'm leaning), and toss in Magnetic Blue just in case...

...Or Storm Titanium looks real nice, too. And oh yeah, Saffron's cool. And if Laser Blue's available to the masses by the time you order, well, that's a no-brainer...

Okay, I see your point... :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts