The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This conversation occurred between me and an 18-20 year old gas station worker in the middle of nowhere.

Gas Girl: WOAH what is that car?

Me: It's a Lotus Elise

GG: Who makes it?

Me: Lotus

GG: Who are they?

Me: They're a British car company

GG: Is it fast?

Me: Yes

GG: What's it got, a V8 or V6?

Me: it's a 4 cylinder engine, the car only weighs 1900lbs

GG: Wow it must be fast then...but it's British so the cats and the transmission are backwards :)confused: ). Must be tough to get parts

Me: Well actually the engine is from Toyota.

GG: I THOUGHT YOU SAID IT WAS BRITISH!

Me: It is.

GG: Toyota is British?

:D :D :D

It went on like this for another 5 min or so when i finally had to leave.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Off,
After all this time, you should know by now, this thread is absolutely worthless without pics of the gas girl!!
Sheesh, what were you thinking man!:D
Chris

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
She must not have been hot or it would have gone on for hours!:D

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Was she blonde? Was she driving a Honda with a mis-matched paint job, wing, coffee can exhuast pipe and spinners? I think that's my neighbor's daughter!

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I try to avoid conversation with most people who you can tell aren't into cars (the random little blonde girls who pull up listening to britney spears, the slack jawed hillbilly in the rusty pickup truck, the braindead housewife in the ford excursion, etc...) - but have gotten stuck in a few while fueling. Usually when people start asking questions, I give them a one or two word answer as I'm getting back in the car. The "how much does it cost?" questions are really getting annoying.

I've only had two worthwhile conversations with people I didn't know so far... one was with a gas station owner in the middle of nowhere in Wisconsin, the other with a guy who chased me down to ask about the car in his GT3.

·
Registered
304 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Off,
After all this time, you should know by now, this thread is absolutely worthless without pics of the gas girl!!
Chris
Seloc experience talking there ;) :D

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zvezdah1 said:
Off,
Chris
she was nothin special. contrary to what the movie industry would have us believe, you don't generally find beautiful gas station attendants in the middle of the desert. ;)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Off,
Are you trying to tell me that things I see in the movies are not true? Next thing you'll tell me is the Penthouse forum letters are phony.........and you call yourself an american??
Chris:D

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
offroadr35 said:
It went on like this for another 5 min or so when i finally had to leave.
Sounds like you could've paid in $3 bills...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
The "how much does it cost?" questions are really getting annoying.
Time to start having fun with it, so it doesn't drive you (further) nuts.

Tell 'em, say, $700,000.

Or, quote it in Pounds. That'll get them confused.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I got ask the "question" yesterday about how much the car cost. I said $45,000 the person repeated back $145,000 and I said, right!

·
Registered
341 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
The "how much does it cost?" questions are really getting annoying.
Just tell people it came in your cereal box.

kbob

·
Banned
270 Posts
I picked up my car today and I absolutely cannot believe the amount of attention the car gets. It is kind of funny, because after waiting almost a year to get the car, and reading this site on almost a daily basis, I already knew the car, inside and out, all the way down to the electrical tape holding the wiring harness in the trunk, starter button, etc. May take it up to the Crater tomorrow night, but we are expecting some severe weather in the next few days. I gave it the 5 minute wash job, seeing as it came over from Honolulu on the deck of the barge, and was covered with salt spray. JN in Honolulu ended up charging me $10,000.00 over MSRP, so I called my salesman today, and told him that the forklift driver, when picking up the pallete that the car was on, had misjudged the position of the forks and had skewered the car, it was a total wreck. I had to let that go for a moment or so, but sensing that the salesman was about to need medical help, I told him, in true Hawaiian fashion, "Only joking brah!" Been great hanging with you guys.

Aloha,
Thomas Praetzel

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Need4Speed said:
Time to start having fun with it, so it doesn't drive you (further) nuts.

Tell 'em, say, $700,000.

Or, quote it in Pounds. That'll get them confused.
The next person to ask is going to get this answer:

"One-thousand-hundred-million-billion-infinity dollars. That's what you wanted to hear, right?"

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Tonight I was asked the best question so far...

"What be on the dash?"

I seriously had no idea what he was asking.

My friend corrected me by telling me that he was asking what the top speed was.

Is this a common way to ask what the top speed of a car is? I've never heard it before, but my friend seemed to know what it meant immediately :huh:

·
Registered
645 Posts
That's precious.

·
Registered
468 Posts
British? Toyota?

reminds me of what a client said to me pointing at his new Buick. Built by the Japanese in Mexico.

Bot a BMW back in about 1986. Bulb goes out in it within a week. I take the bulb out to replace it and it says "Made in Japan".

Can't tell where stuff comes from anymore.

Good story.

have fun

·
Registered
389 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
Tonight I was asked the best question so far...

"What be on the dash?"

I seriously had no idea what he was asking.

My friend corrected me by telling me that he was asking what the top speed was.

Is this a common way to ask what the top speed of a car is? I've never heard it before, but my friend seemed to know what it meant immediately :huh:
Wow, I would not have had a clue what they were asking. Where abouts was that? Maybe some local slang? :huh: In fact, I think any question starting in 'what be...' would have me in fits of giggles. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts