The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This last weekend my sister's family came to visit me in Colorado from the north Georgia area. We visited Rocky Mountain National Park and did an overnight 2 day fishing trip on the Arkansas river (75+ fish between 4 of us in 2 days). As part of their visit I took them each for a few rides in the Exige and before they left today I gave my oldest nephew, Nick (14) some driving lessons. He'd never driven anything before so we only got as far as making the car move forward with the clutch pedal. He stalled it a few times but within 5 minutes or so we were moving forward.

While we didn't have time nor the place to do a proper lesson, nor would I truly allow that in the Lotus I wanted to give him a story/memory he'd never forget. At least to me pretty cool to say my first ever car was a Lotus Exige.

396115_3559223259473_488166292_n[1].jpg
(That's Nick in the background and my youngest nephew Jack (10) up front)

Which begs the question - what was your first ever drive? Mine, 1984 Honda Accord manual. White with blue cloth interior. Odd as it sounds I loved that car.

-Ross

·
Registered
548 Posts
Some automatic oldsmobile back when I was 10. haha... i could barely see over the steering wheel. but.. I think I drove better than my mom back then!

something like this.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
1972 **** brown Oldmobile. But not really fair, I was a farm boy so driving tractors since I was 11 (same year I got my first gun, a old stevenson barrel brake single shot 22)

I still have the rifle

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
EJ Civic EX was my first car

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
first time with my hands on the steering wheel, sitting on my uncle's lap while moving was with my uncle driving my parents 1990 chevy nova. I was 6 or 7:
THIS

NOT

Also the first car I drove when I was 10 or 11.
At 15, i 'borrowed' my parents 1995 buick roadmaster (V8 and probably bigger than the old Lincoln town cars) when they weren't around. After driving that, impossible for any other car to make you nervous!!!
At 17, got my license and drove the roadmaster 700 miles to school the week after!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
My first vehicle was a small Kubota tractor (with a bucket) which we used to things like moving the fields, pulling hay trailers and pulling out weeds (8ft tall thistles are a pain to remove!)

My first car was a mid 70's Mazda pickup which was handed down to me from my grandfather through my brother. I bought it for $100. I had never driven a stick before (save the aforementioned tractor) and my brother didn't give me lessons - I learned on the way home. Needless to say in spite of the fact that pickup had no power and was rusting through the floorboards, I was quite happy to have it. It was nearly indestructible and I tried mightily to destroy it - including high-centering it the mountains and having a jeep have to *ram* it off its perch. It's demise only came when some inattentive old guy pulled a U-turn from parking - across the street - into me (as oncoming traffic) and drove me off the road. Insurance totaled the car (which I am pretty sure was totaled before it ever got into an accident.) The world misses the Blue Belch-Fire Four.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
78 CJ5 and 72 1200 civic my 1st

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Volkswagen Transporter Van - with the canvas sunroof and all those little oval windows around the top! 60's car, owned in the early 70's....

·
Registered
978 Posts
Silver 1989 Mercury Tracer aka "The Tin Bin"

Had major front end damage before it was given to me and would pull immediately to the left and into the median when letting go of the wheel. I spent a lot of money on tires, lol

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
ahhh, memories...
first vehicle was a basket case harley 28 JD (74) .
the first car was a '32 ford coupe. Model "B". 200 cubes! (deuce coupe) in time that car had a ford flat head V-8, an olds 88, a ford truck engine (317 cubes!). i later channeled it and installed hydraulic brakes from a '46 lincoln.
wish i had that car now.
sam

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
ahhh, memories...
first vehicle was a basket case harley 28 JD (74) .
the first car was a '32 ford coupe. Model "B". 200 cubes! (deuce coupe) in time that car had a ford flat head V-8, an olds 88, a ford truck engine (317 cubes!). i later channeled it and installed hydraulic brakes from a '46 lincoln.
wish i had that car now.
sam
My parents had the 88... That thing was indestructible until it caught on fire. 2dr cloth seats

·
Scott Graham
293 Posts
Awesome post, I'm sure thats something he will never forget!!!

(I opened this thread all T'd off thinking someone had purchased their kid an exige for their first car.) :panic: rotfl rotfl

My first time driving was in a landrover Disco S2, but my first car was an audi coupe GT. I miss the 5cyl sound. =p

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

(I opened this thread all T'd off thinking someone had purchased their kid an exige for their first car.) :panic: rotfl rotfl

My first car every tying to drive was a landrover Disco S2, but my first car was an audi coupe GT. I miss the 5cyl sound. =p

A Disco and an Audi GT? You suck!!! :)

The car I learned to drive on was a Chevy Vega:

My first car was my grandfather's hand me down 1976 Plymouth Volare - ugly blue with ugly blue bench seats.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/1934/1101/29833050001_large.jpg

Finally, the car I bought in high school (saved up money, etc) was a white Cutlass Supreme:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My first drive was when I was 12. We lived on Fort Sam Huston in Texas, and one of my friends had a circular driveway. His dad had an old VW beetle, and we were allowed to drive it around the driveway!

My first car to actually drive on the street was my Dad's 1966 V8 Mustang Coupe. By the time I gotmtomdrive it, it was pretty old, but still fun. It could do burnouts, get to 60mph very quickly and the steering input was awful, but we still loved it. Once I graduated college, I bought my own car, a 1984 BMW 325e... It was the best handling car I had ever driven and cost only $16,000.

·
Registered
831 Posts

My first time driving was in a landrover Disco S2, but my first car was an audi coupe GT. I miss the 5cyl sound. =p

OOh, Scotty, that's exactly like one I had too! It wasn't my first car, but it was my first nice car when I got a job.

But what's the "Quattro" badge doing on a Coupe GT? They were FWD. The "real" Quattros cost $35K in mid '80's dollars!

·
Registered
224 Posts
The first car I learned to drive in was "The Tank" - my grandfather's old Mercury...

My first car: 1994 Mazda MX-6 - V6 LS
A GREAT car for any high school kid. Manual, sporty enough (I had a sunroof...oooohhyeah), a backseat ;), broke down enough for me to learn basic car care, and cheap.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts