The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I'm glad that (among other things) the US did not buckle like Spain did when threatened by the Terrorists. If you give in it just gives them more power. If you recall the commuter train bombings in Spain, they swung the Spanish elections to the liberal folks who immediately caved in and quickly pulled all of their troops out from the war. I guess they are awaiting more orders from Bin Laden as they bite their finger nails cowering in fear.

Some US congressman closed his DC offices for about a month because he was afraid of a terror event in the area leading up to the election. That person gave in and was weak. If everyone was like that, we'd have no freedom and the bad guys would have won.

If you have read some of the Euro papers and seen some of their news you'd understand part of why many folks there feel as they do about the US. Their media is very one sided, sort like our NY Times. Many don't have the chance to hear more from both sides. Our media has it's issues too, but at least the interested person CAN get both sides with some effort and the right attitude.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Dear M. Steff,

1. It's ironic that British humor is in lockstep with the view of a French Philosopher, Blaise Pascal. Paraphrasing him for the Anglophile: when your recent history is full of abject failure, it pays to view everything in your bleak life with humor or you'll have to pay that therapist which, according to Steff, is proof you're no adult.

2. Considering that armed Americans bailed you out of two world wars, just who between the two of us know how and when to use our weapons? No matter. We're perfectly content on letting your burglars come storming into your house while you're stuffing your faces with mutton because they <b><i>know</i></b> you're unarmed, at the same time that we dumb Americans sit contentedly, unconcerned at home because Joe Needafix was blown from here to kingdom-come last week when he tried the same thing with one of my neighbors. <b>As a consequence our burglars at least have the decency -- or maybe the common sense? -- not to try with me what your burglars have been empowered by <b>your (fearful-of-the-armed-subject) rulers</b> to do to you.</b>

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Stan said:
I'm glad that (among other things) the US did not buckle like Spain did when threatened by the Terrorists.
55,580,433 of your fellow voters did, if voting for Kerry is buckling to terrorists.

Shouldn't this be in "other", not "MSRP"?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
It makes more fun of britain than it does the US. Anyway, maybe we'll just let Australia kick their ass.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Stan said:
I'm glad that (among other things) the US did not buckle like Spain did when threatened by the Terrorists. If you give in it just gives them more power. If you recall the commuter train bombings in Spain, they swung the Spanish elections to the liberal folks who immediately caved in and quickly pulled all of their troops out from the war. I guess they are awaiting more orders from Bin Laden as they bite their finger nails cowering in fear.
I guess you follow the propaganda newscasts. The truth is that the PP has pissed all the autonomies on their positions with the integration with the EU, not trying to conserve languaje and traditions of the different spanish autonomies.

If you think for a second that the Spanish population buckles under terrorist threats, see how much influence has the ETA in Spanish oppinion. None! and believe me it has been going on since the 1960's

If they wanted to take the troops out, the only thing needed would be to form a referendum, not change goverment. A Referendum is something we don't have here at all. On important matters that affect their country at large, Nato, European constitution, etc.. The people can ask for a referendum vote to make such decisions instead of letting the party in charge make it for them.

Sometimes I wished we had Referendums here in the US, to give some of the political powers back to the People!!!.

Another thing is that the Islamic fundamentalist want Al-Andalus back (Andalucia in the South of Spain) since they had it for 800 years a long time ago until the Catholic Kings, you know the ones that paid Columbus and that postponed the trip until they had all spain back. Anyway, they still want it and the Islamic fundamentalists are going to be active in Spain regardless, Just two weeks ago they tryed to bomb the National Audience in Madrid.

Still Spain won't close it's borders to Islamic emigrants and let them go to find work because they know not all people are fundamentalists. Last count was almost a million Islamic immigrants.

Don't listen to sensational news :no:, and if you do, at least try to get news from other sources, and travel a little you'll get a better view of the world that way.

And yes, I'm bias in my opinions. My Mom is from Spain, my Dad from New Mexico, and I've lived 20 years in Spain and 20 years here. But at least I do try to be informed :)

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
Mr. G,

You might want to alter your link. It logs us into your account on that BBS. My reply to that thread got posted as you. :p

·
Old Dude
2005 Lotus Elise touring, hard top, Starshield
1,326 Posts
Very funny stuff. I must have missed the part thanking the U.S. that they were not doing the Nazi goose-step and salute and speaking German over there - but I guess that would not be funny.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
The English hate Bush -- overwhelmingly.

California was a very strong Kerry state.

Ergo, thus, ipso facto -- Hethel should increase allocations for California dealers!

It's the right thing to do. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not sure who Steff is. He/she doesn't seem too friendly to me though. What the heck, I guess we really can't blame him/her, he/she sounds like an awful lot of Americans anyway.
Here is the reply I posted on the their BBS.

Mr G
Yellow S1
Posted 04 November 2004 at 16:41:03 UK time
Hello Mr G, you need to edit the message you posted on Elise Talk. If we click on the link it brings us here, already logged in as you.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7202

By the way, thanks for sending us this open letter, from a nonmember of your group, posted to your BBS. We appreciate the humour of the British, but really, you need to sort out the type of people you allow on your BBs.
I look forward to the next time I meet up with a British couple or two in St. Lucia, or Dominican Republic, or Cozumel,etc. The ones I have met have all been friendly and interested in America. At least while talking with us.
Made in America, cheerio, Bob.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Ancient Wedgie said:
Dear M. Steff,

1. It's ironic that British humor is in lockstep with the view of a French Philosopher, Blaise Pascal. Paraphrasing him for the Anglophile: when your recent history is full of abject failure, it pays to view everything in your bleak life with humor or you'll have to pay that therapist which, according to Steff, is proof you're no adult.

2. Considering that armed Americans bailed you out of two world wars, just who between the two of us know how and when to use our weapons? No matter. We're perfectly content on letting your burglars come storming into your house while you're stuffing your faces with mutton because they <b><i>know</i></b> you're unarmed, at the same time that we dumb Americans sit contentedly, unconcerned at home because Joe Needafix was blown from here to kingdom-come last week when he tried the same thing with one of my neighbors. <b>As a consequence our burglars at least have the decency -- or maybe the common sense? -- not to try with me what your burglars have been empowered by <b>your (fearful-of-the-armed-subject) rulers</b> to do to you.</b>
lol :D

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Lotus Fury said:
55,580,433 of your fellow voters did, if voting for Kerry is buckling to terrorists.
My understanding was that many people voted for Kerry because they thought he could handle the war on terror better than Bush, no?? Obviously if those votes were for someone who would completely buckle to terrorists, no one would vote for him. I'm saying this as someone who didn't vote for him.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I voted for Kerry. I don't like him, and don't trust him. But, unlike Bush (who I don't like or trust either), he hasn't had four years to prove that he'll make a useless president.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>And some of us voted for Kerry because we want the US to spend more effort going after terrorists, rather than overthrowing governments who were weak and contained.<<<

Liberals often seem paralyzed and unable to take action. Look at all the chances Clinton had to capture Bin Laden. Some times you need to be able to make decisions and get stuff done instead of talking about why you can't right now.

You can read about some of Bill Clinton's Bin Laden paralysis here.

Bill Clinton vowed to go after terrorists too...but when chances arose he couldn't act.

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
Vantage said:
My understanding was that many people voted for Kerry because [blah blah blah].... didn't vote for him.
Oh, and the "reason" people voted for Bush: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3449870/

EDIT: Here's the part I'm referring to:
Let’s face it. It’s not Kerry’s fault. It’s not Nader’s fault (this time). It’s not the media’s fault (though they do bear a heavy responsibility for much of what ails our political system). It’s not “our” fault either. The problem is just this: Slightly more than half of the citizens of this country simply do not care about what those of us in the “reality-based community” say or believe about anything.

They don’t care that Iraq is turning into murderous quicksand and a killing field for our children. They don’t care that the Bush presidency has made us less safe by creating more terrorists, inspiring more anti-American hatred and refusing to engage in the hard work that would be necessary to make a meaningful dent in our myriad vulnerabilities at home. They don’t care that he has mortgaged our children’s future to give trillions to the wealthiest among us. They don’t care that the economy continues to hemorrhage well-paying jobs and replace them with Wal-Mart; that the number without health insurance is over forty million and rising. They don’t care that Medicare premiums are rising to fund the coffers of pharmaceutical companies. They don’t care that the air they breathe and the water they drink is being slowly poisoned and though they call themselves conservatives, they even don’t care that the size of the government and its share of our national income has increased by roughly a quarter in just four years. This is not a world of rational debate and issue preference.

It’s one of “them” and “us.” He’s one of “them” and not one of “us” and that’s all they care about. True it’s an illusion. After all, Bush is a millionaire’s son who went to Yale and Harvard and sat out Vietnam, not even bothering to show up for his cushy National Guard duty, and succeeded only in trading on his father’s name and connections in adult life. But somehow, they feel he understands them. He speaks their language. Our guys don’t. And unless they learn it, we will continue to condemn this country and those parts of the world it affects to a regime of malign neglect at best—malignant and malicious assault at worse.

Given the media’s talent for pandering to their lowest common denominator, the things that have driven us crazy about their past pathetic performance are bound to get a lot worse. Most of us—readers and writers of this web log and peoplelikeus-- derive an awful lot of benefit from being Americans. We owe it to our better selves, and though it sounds horribly clichéd, to our children-- not to walk away from this battle. I will admit, however, it’s pretty damn hard to see through this fog just where to turn before we march.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts