The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Car looks pretty, but another one of those "selling for a friend" ads with no info on service history, and not a single engine picture on a 21yr old car.
And on top of that asking for a large premium on the price of an SE with only cosmetic "upgrades"
No one should buy a car like this without looking at in person.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Agreed. So many people have no clue on how to market a car.

What I don't understand is while the seller may not have figure out how to use eBay, what happened that they can't write their own ad instead of having someone that took it for a "test drive" try to give a complete review of the car?

I still want that car.

One note: The puppet seller describes the wheels as needing some "polishing." That's not going to work out. Since I had one of those cars, I know the silver part of the wheel is anodized. The yellow part is standard Norfolk Mustard.

Anodized does not "polish" up. When that finish goes bad, you are just going to have to strip it completely and convert it to a polished/clear coated finish. It's in the too hard basket to preserve the original anodized finished. The end result looks good, but you are basically paying to completely refinish the wheels.

The JIm Clark Edition is definitely only a cosmetic upgrade, and it's not for everyone, so I don't think he'll be selling it for $35K or more.

·
Registered
860 Posts
on a side note, why did lotus drop the price of the esprit so much from the 91 model to the 93 model?

91s were in the upper $80s, while the 93s were in the upper $60s.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on a side note, why did lotus drop the price of the esprit so much from the 91 model to the 93 model?

That was probably an exchange rate issue.

Although I did hear that the SE's were heavily discounted ($90K down to $60K).

·
Registered
175 Posts
My original bill of sale for my 93.5 reads out at $92,000.

:)

Alan

·
Registered
215 Posts
Not positive, but I believe the pricing may have had something to do with GM's ownership which ended in 93. I know the cars were heavily discounted back then and perhaps the new owners thought it would be better to price closer to actual prices. Also, since the change happened in 93 it could be the reason an ad shows different pricing verses a window sticker that could have been from earlier in the year.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have wanted a JC Esprit through the years.

So I asked questions through eBay with regard to the usual Esprit problem areas (I want to nail down what I would pay).

The seller was very cordial in his response, which amounted to candidly saying he doesn't know Esprits.

Lee said he would check with the owner and get back to me. 'Hope he is not looking for the owner of #16 to determine answers to my questions. Also hope there really is a consignment here, and the real owner has the requested info.

Still waiting.....:sheep:

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have wanted a JC Esprit through the years.

So I asked questions through eBay with regard to the usual Esprit problem areas (I want to nail down what I would pay).

The seller was very cordial in his response, which amounted to candidly saying he doesn't know Esprits.

Lee said he would check with the owner and get back to me. 'Hope he is not looking for the owner of #16 to determine answers to my questions. Also hope there really is a consignment here, and the real owner has the requested info.

Still waiting.....:sheep:
I am the ex-owner of Jim Clark #16. He wanted to know answers about some accessories.

Unless the original owner is incapacitated (which could have happened, so I won't joke about it), I can't think of why you wouldn't be able to talk to him/her directly about the car. Again, lots of people don't like to eBay, but they should be ok with a phone call.

·
Registered
15 Posts
More information on Jim Clark Esprit #1

I came across this thread regarding the my friends Jim Clark Lotus Esprit #1 that is listed for sale here, another Lotus forum and Ebay and wanted to respond with some information that I will updating the ebay ad with shortly.

I was able to obtain all service records from August of 1998 through September 2010. I am not sure if I will be able to obtain any other records beyond that date however; I did find an article online where someone contacted Lotus directly and they provided all records for work performed while the vehicle was under warranty. I'm not sure if this is still the case today.

Here is a summary of the service records I have on the car:

Sept. 2010 - Scheduled maintenance service, change oil and filter, top up fluids, general check over, replaced spark plugs replaced and air filter.

July 2007 - IMajor service performed: The service record lists the following:

The water pump was leaking and there was some seeping at the charge cooler. Engine dismantled to access rear cam tower seals and replace. Water pump was removed for rebuilding. Timing belt was removed. Water pump was refit to engine. Charge Cooler pump was removed, dismantled and inspected. rear cam tower covers were resealed.Charge Cooler pump was rebuilt. new timing belt was fit and adjusted. Charge Cooler pump was fitted. required engine reassembly was performed.Coolant refilled. Misc fuel hoses and clamps were replaced. Oil change and filter. Vehicle was road-tested, etc. In total, the AC and timing belts along with one other belt were replaced along with 2 O-rings, a water pump rebuild kit and Charge Cooler pump repair kit. The total bill for parts and labor was $3,173.00 Mileage listed as 36,888 at time of these repairs.

April 2004 - The fuel tank vent tube was replaced. Fluid levels checked.

(Since these documents were faxed to me, many of the service records after this date are not very legible. I will request the originals from the repair facility and pass those on to the new owner.)

September 2000 - Freon was recharged, a fuel filter was replaced and it looks like the ECM was replaced.

August 1999 - 4 tires were replaced. Alignment performed.

May 1999 - Ball joints and shocks replaced.

The next few are barely legible however, the repair costs were minimal so it does appear that any major work was was performed during this time. There were 11 service records retrieved in total dating from August 1998- September 2010.

There are also 3 entries in the "maintenance record" section of the owners manual. The 1500 mile service was performed on January 26, 1993, an "A" service performed at 6,192 miles on 10/18/1993 and a "B" service performed at 11,099 miles on 7/15/1994. All three of these were performed and stamped by the dealer where the vehicle was purchased.

It appears that both owners stayed on top of any required maintenance as well as addressing any other issues that came up. The first owner is a local Doctor and the current owner is a local businessman. My point simply being that both of them had the financial means to afford the sometimes costly repairs that arose over the years.

That is the information currently available regarding the service history. I hope that helps. Let me know if anyone has any further questions. PM or email is best as I work around loud equipment which makes it difficult for me to hear my phone. If phone is best for you, email or pm me with a request for my phone number as I'd prefer not to list it here. Thank you.

Regards,
Lee Dearborn

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
An integral part of the Jim Clark package and there fore part of the value is the replica Type 38 Indy winning steering wheel (wall mount)that came with the car.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I came across this thread regarding the my friends Jim Clark Lotus Esprit #1 that is listed for sale here, another Lotus forum and Ebay and wanted to respond with some information that I will updating the ebay ad with shortly.
Regards,
Lee Dearborn

'Came here to update the thread with this info too. Thanks for replying to me via email Lee.

Awaiting your response to my question today regarding prior owner availability.

Be well,
Andy

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am the ex-owner of Jim Clark #16. He wanted to know answers about some accessories.

Unless the original owner is incapacitated (which could have happened, so I won't joke about it), I can't think of why you wouldn't be able to talk to him/her directly about the car. Again, lots of people don't like to eBay, but they should be ok with a phone call.
Thanks!!!

Be well,
Andy

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An integral part of the Jim Clark package and there fore part of the value is the replica Type 38 Indy winning steering wheel (wall mount)that came with the car.
How much value do you estimate that is worth?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
How much value do you estimate that is worth?
That is a diffucult question.

While there are a number of these SpEds they generally do not change hand too frequently and are held dear by their owners.

As such while the specification may not make them rarer than other Esprits of the same year they are more desirable on the collector market and do deserve a premium over the "regular" SE's. But when buying a SpEd the expectation is that everything that made it a SpEd would come with the car. Any change from the original Specification and accompanying ephemera does change the value.

So how much is the replica wheel worth? I honestly don't know. But as a collector I would not buy the car without it. If a buyer was just interested because they liked the color combo, and condition then it probably wouldn't matter to them that the wheel was not with it, but then again they'd probably not be willing to pay extra for the SpEd status.

I was just pointing out in my original post about the steering wheel that it exists and was part of the original package.

Buyers and sellers can decide for themselves how the presence or absence of the replica wheel effects the final selling price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
'Came here to update the thread with this info too. Thanks for replying to me via email Lee.

Awaiting your response to my question today regarding prior owner availability.

Be well,
Andy
Hi Andy,

Let me know if you received my email responding to this question. I want to be sure that I answered your question accurately or if I may have misunderstood the question. Neither myself or the current owner have been in touch with the original owner since the current owner acquired the car in 2004 but, I am working on getting in touch with him and may have more information about the car soon :) I will keep you and everyone else here informed if I am able to establish communication with him.

Regards,
Lee

·
Registered
15 Posts
The replica wheel....

I have been given some interesting information about the replica steering wheel for this car however; I am awaiting confirmation of this information before I share further details. Sorry for the teaser but I want to make sure I have all of the facts straight before I disclose what I have learned of the wheel thus far.

I will update here and on the listing both here and on Ebay once I am able to confirm the details.

Regards,
Lee

·
Registered
222 Posts

Three letters: NSX
With a base price of $62K in 1991, Lotus was probably very concerned about this new exotic stealing sales from them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts