The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a BMW V8?! Saw this today and had to pass it along to the list. Not a bad choice by any measure but doesn't follow Lotus' history of allies. Further, there is little reason to introduce a new car (for production in 2 years) with an engine which went out of production a year ago. This sounds fishy but who am I to judge.

http://www.autocarmagazine.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=207749

·
Registered
71 Posts
How much power do you think Lotus will get out of that engine with the forced induction scheme. Is it incorrect to say that BMW obtained the 400HP without a turbo?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
It's fairly early for the Esprit. From what I recall early on they were looking at Ecotech, a Toyota V6 as well as F/I 4 cyl for the Elise. So wouldn't be surprised if they were checking into the BMW V8. What they end up with in the end most likely is still open to debate.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'd be very, very surprised if this is the route they end up taking.

BMW was having terrible troubles trying to mass produce the s62 (the M5 engine) on a budget... I've heard that's one of the reasons production ended earlier than the E39 chassis went out of production, despite great sales figures.

Additionally, the S62 is very high compression and has 8 throttle bodies... not the ideal candidate for turbocharging or supercharging.

I've never heard of a FI package for the S62 and I think that probably speaks of the difficulty.

It's a fabulous engine, but I think they'd need to leave it N/A. It wouldn't the first time a british supercar fitted a BMW engine in the back :).

- John

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
A terrific engine, I use one to drive to work each morning! It just seems a odd choice as it is being replaced by a V10 in the next generation M5/M6. But if true it is a really great engine with lots and lots of torque from a very low RPM.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to allow my personal preference as to a possible suitor for Proton to be revealed (again) but what about the aluminum 4.2 supercharged V8 engine from Jaguar (XJR)? I'd think that it's light construction coupled with good performance would be a nice match for a light weight Esprit type car. Lotus helped Jaguar with the XJ alum. structure so they already have a relationshhip. It would also keep things, at least on the surface "british".

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Re: R&T May, 2004 (Pg.63)
"New Esprit will likely be powered by a mid-mounted V-8 with either turbo or supercharging. The Elise now has a Toyota engine, so look for the compact V-8 to come from that Japanese automaker. By 2008 Lotus may be set to launch a front-engined 2+2 to slot between the Elise and Esprit replacement. This new model may be powered by a normally aspirated V-8 or a turbo V-6."

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ridgemanron said:
Re: R&T May, 2004 (Pg.63)
"New Esprit will likely be powered by a mid-mounted V-8 with either turbo or supercharging. The Elise now has a Toyota engine, so look for the compact V-8 to come from that Japanese automaker. By 2008 Lotus may be set to launch a front-engined 2+2 to slot between the Elise and Esprit replacement. This new model may be powered by a normally aspirated V-8 or a turbo V-6."
I recall this part of the article but, what engine does toyota make that would work for an Esprit? The 4.3 V8 from Lexus? the coming V10 for the Lexus coupe/ Supra? Is the 4.3 powerful enough and light enough? I don't know the anwser, I only pose the question.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
wallabyguy said:
I recall this part of the article but, what engine does toyota make that would work for an Esprit? The 4.3 V8 from Lexus? the coming V10 for the Lexus coupe/ Supra? Is the 4.3 powerful enough and light enough? I don't know the anwser, I only pose the question.
Hmmm... Toyota.... IRL??? ex-Champ Car??? Wait.... F1!!!!:D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Actually there are quite a few supercharged and turbocharged versions of this car out there. All custom jobs as far as I know.

The avg output on supercharging was around 500-550rwhp, and turbo charged I have seen as high as 750hp (650 or so wheel.) I don't know about longevity, but it was blindingly fast. Chassis and wheels were no match for the power, but it was cool.

Scot

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I'd rather see the BMW s54 in the Elise !!!! OMG that would be insane !!! Add a turbo, and you're ready for the dragstrip :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe BMW should buy lotus, lol. I would prefer the new M5 NA engine over turbo or surper charging the old one if the cost is not very high.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
I think this engine is a good candidate. Lotus could alway reprogram the ECU like it does with the Elise to turn back the timing for forced induction. With low pressure turbos, the engine would easily put out around 500 hp, exactly what it needs to compete with the F360 and Gallardo, which will be it main competitors.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
transio said:
I'd rather see the BMW s54 in the Elise !!!! OMG that would be insane !!! Add a turbo, and you're ready for the dragstrip :p
way too heavy...and a turbo would really destroy the S54--even faster than the engines were destroying themselves

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
A friend of mine has a Z8...It moves pretty fast.
Recently saw a 2000 Z8 with a couple of thousand miles
being offered for a 'Buy Now' of $75,000
and may wind up selling for less. I don't believe they were including the h-top but the price is still much lower than I've ever seen them in the recent past. If my Elise
had to have a big-brother, my first pick would be a Z8.

·
Registered
587 Posts
atyclb said:
way too heavy...and a turbo would really destroy the S54--even faster than the engines were destroying themselves
I think he was kidding.... this is from our resident joker of april fools' day fame.

An I6 would never fit longitudinally anyway....

- John

1 - 20 of 25 Posts