The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Andy Walsh Elise Track DVD

HI,
Andy posted this on SELOC, he's planning on doing a how-to track dvd.

FOr those that don't know, Andy Walsh runs 1st Lotus which does loads and loads of track days in UK, He's extremely experienced and people that have taken his courses speak very highly of them. (Maybe he'lll make it over here to teach!)

BTW> I did suggest he make it in a dvd format that works in the US as well.

Here's the quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>
Its not product news as I have not done it yet mods

I am going to make a driver training DVD.
covering everything we do on our driver training days.

I want to know what demand there is and how much you think they are worth.

So
1. do you want one.
2. How much

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here's his website, I'm sure he'd be glad to hear from US folks!

http://www.1stlotus.com/

Chris

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
LCU has mentioned some kind of driving school in the future. Or as an alternative something like this would be great.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would be interested in such a DVD. It would give me something specific to try and practice at Autocross. I really don't know about how much I would pay though. Because the website is down, and I don't know what the normal class includes.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This gleaned from British Cars bbs. Andy Walsh is making his dvd. As above, he does loads of driving schools for the Elise.

Chris
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Andrew Walsh, [email protected]
We are now taking orders for the driver training DVD we are producing the DVD will be ready in plenty of time for Xmas.
Its £12.99.
All professionally filmed and edited with 3d graphical illustrations of the things like slip angles, and traction circles.
All the techniques we cover on the driver training days are on there, with front and rear wheel drive cars.
It has multiple angles optional commentary and tuition on every technique from the basic how to steer through to left foot braking spin control.
We are doing the pre order to help us gauge the numbers needed to be produced in the first batch.

Buy on line at www.carlimits.com in the shop
http://www.carlimits.com/shop/product.php?p=16

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
163 Posts
I originally ordered this DVD and they claimed they would make a NTSC version for US customers.

Just got an email last week refunding my money and claiming that the NTSC version would probably NOT be done until late 2005.

Bummer!

Randy, any chance you are still looking to batch convert and re-sell?

-Todd

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
There is a discussion going on. I am very disappointed, but I hope to see a way out of this.

We are asking Andy to license Blackwatch Racing* to convert and produce the DVDs in the USA for a fee.

Stay tuned....

*Chasecam will be moving all DVD sales over to Blackwatch to allow me to concentrate on product development, specifically our solid state recorder. We have sold thousands of DVDs... and it has been good for us... but I can't spend the time doing it anymore.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Some DVD players are easily to modify to play european PAL DVDs.
We bought a Philips player for $70 and the mod consisted of just pressing some numbers on the remote control.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Toine said:
Some DVD players are easily to modify to play european PAL DVDs.
We bought a Philips player for $70 and the mod consisted of just pressing some numbers on the remote control.
That sounds good. What model number and how do you make it region free?

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
223 Posts
Check out http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php and search for Philips.
I don't remember which one we have for sure... but wife telling me it's DVP 649/17.
We found it at $75 at Target:)

Some players, you need to burn a CD and get the chip modified by uploading a patch but our Philips just needed a sequence of numbers... a region free player in less than 3 mins!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I already have the DVD so here's a review:

First of all, don't expect a DVD that will teach you how to become Michael Schumacher just by watching your TV. If you approach it like this you will be dissapointed, you'll think that the DVD is too short and that you've learned shite.

However, the proper way to use this DVD is like a training video you get when buying fitness equipment. It's a guide, don't just watch it, use it as a helping hand while practising. In this case, watch the DVD and then go to an empty parking lot etc.

It covers all the basics, ranging from how to use the steering wheel to left foot braking. Again, if you just watch it it'll be over before you know it. But if you study it, looking very precisely at the mulitple angles and then go try it out, you will learn a lot. Basically if you do so, you'll have your own 'airfield training day'.

The quality is very good, as is the sound. Andrew doesn't 'work' with the camera like a TV show host, but he does get the message across. I'm not totally convinced that this DVD will be goed value for money if you're already a trackday or AutoX king, but for everyone else who's interested in the basics of vehicle control I definately recommend this DVD :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts