The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about it today, but would it be possible to retrofit the stock tails with red BMW style angel eyes in place of LED tails? I feel like it could have a cleaner more uniform look if done right

Just curious about your thoughts

·
Registered
591 Posts
The problem with the "bmw angel eyes" is they are usually ccfl. Ccfl are glass tubes (very fragile) and usually require a converter box. Light iutput is very smooth but not extremely bright. Id suggest either an led ring, or an led ring with a diffused cover if room permits (to give a nice solid circle instead of visibly seeing each individual led) the ring size you want is 110mm

·
Wow Such Admin
6,932 Posts
The problem with the "bmw angel eyes" is they are usually ccfl. Ccfl are glass tubes (very fragile) and usually require a converter box. Light iutput is very smooth but not extremely bright. Id suggest either an led ring, or an led ring with a diffused cover if room permits (to give a nice solid circle instead of visibly seeing each individual led) the ring size you want is 110mm
All the newer aftermarket ones have switched to LED quite a while back. Most places don't sell the ccfl ones anymore because they go out so often.

I've had both kinds on my 3 series in the past.

OP don't you already have LED tails?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the newer aftermarket ones have switched to LED quite a while back. Most places don't sell the ccfl ones anymore because they go out so often.

I've had both kinds on my 3 series in the past.

OP don't you already have LED tails?
I do, love them. I was really just curious is angel eyes could be used/ would it have a cleaner more uniform ring than the individual LEDs would? If you look at modern BMW tails, they have very uniform illuminated lines which I like alot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts