The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the hell do I do?

My alarm was going off for no reason the other day... I guess this was the reason. My wife said she noticed a chipmunk or squirrel poking its head out of the radiator vent today... she said she has a great shot of it giving her the stairdown saying "I live here now, find your own lotus".

OK, in all seriousness, what do you do? I want to get it out. I am not a rodent lover, so killing it is OK by me (but obviously not my first choice), but I also don't want to attract more rodents with peanutbutter or something like that to lure it out.

Frick! What do I do? :shrug:

Dave

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Remove the grills and access panels (to make an easy exit for it without damaging anything), then start the car? I'd think it would get out of there as quickly as possible :shrug:

Then again, if he didn't nudge he could end up dying in there which would suck

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
open the garage and set off the viper alarm? If not that then tap the bottom panel with something like a broom stick up mid car area or possibly a hose and squirt water at the bottom panels?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Remove the grills and access panels (to make an easy exit for it without damaging anything), then start the car? I'd think it would get out of there as quickly as possible :shrug:

Then again, if he didn't nudge he could end up dying in there which would suck

I would suggest the AC off if you try this... rotfl

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i meant to post about this last week, i have been parking my car in the reclaimed drive way space next to the house that is kinda in the back yard almost. well about half this space is rock, the other grass. last week as stef was backing the car out i noticed a field mouse jump out of the exhaust hole in the diffuser. ****. i am arm and arm with you, what do i do!. ?

the last thing my car needs are chewed up wires! really, i have had way to many problems with my electrics to have to deal with that again...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dave's wife here.

Here's a nice shot of our little mascot. Isn't he cute? Dave suggested I send the dog out after it, but I can just see the dog launching herself on top of the front clam in an effort to rid the car of this little guy...which means time for ANOTHER front clam. And I was pretty annoyed at the last damanged one that lived on our couch in the basement for 2 months...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Dave suggested I send the dog out after it, but I can just see the dog launching herself on top of the front clam in an effort to rid the car of this little guy...
Smart choice. Here are some pics from what dogs will do trying to get to a critter in the car. :panic:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Do not delay another minute! Rodents LOVE chewing your wire harnesses! They use the chewed up wire for a nest! Wire harnesses in the Lotus is very expensive:
$8700 for the harness
$4300 for the labor

Besides it will never work well as it was when you bought it.

So....it's a TOTAL LOSS!

Get that dam thing,,,,,NOW!!!

--Hal

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
haha,

Im picturing this...

Find a LONG straight road. Go as fast as the car can go, and slam on the brakes. Make sure you have a Video camer on to catch the chipmonk fly forward like in the cartoons.

Yeah, that probably wont work.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Place some food somewhere outside your car to distract them. Then, put a car cover on your car. Given how Lotus's are sealed underneath for aerodynamic purposes, I can't imagine how they are getting in from the underside. But then again, by nature, these are creative and devious creatures.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had a mouse running around in my front frame crossmember at a track event... ran Lime Rock at advanced track speeds all day and it was STILL there... it finally decided enough was enough and moved out when I parked at the motel that night.

You may have to ignore lots of comments at the track about Lotus power etc...

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Rodents can fit through a verrrrrry small opening-anything larger than their skulls, in fact. That chipmunk (damn, he's cute!) can easily sneak in through the opening in the diffuser surrounding the tailpipe, for instance. And there are plenty of other openings he can get through. Skyvue is absolutely right. Once in, he's looking to make a little nest...in your wiring.

The harness in my wife's Tacoma went from fine to shredded wheat in one day with one mouse...

It's exterminator time.

You want one who uses the strongest EPA-approved bait stations. It's like rodent crack.

Tom

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
All you need is 3 chocolate chip cookies, 1 banana, and a hammer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
slightly off-topic

Were you on Quince Orchard today? I was pretty much heads down running, and didn't see the car, but heard it first. I picked up on the lotus sound and turned around after a blue elise went by. I was on QO by the retaining wall at the Kentlands.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts