The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that went last year this was a terrific event and John White is having it again this year at his home in Waterford, VA on Sunday June 22. For those that don't know, John has been mostly a Ferrari guy but also is a Lotus owner. He'd like an RSVP by June 16 so he can plan on food and beer, etc., his email is [email protected].

Here's a pic from last year:

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yes. I was there last year and it was AWESOME!!:up:

Would love to participate again this year. TWO people here. Let me know if I could do anything to help...Thanx :wave:

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I remember seeing photos from this last year. However, I don't recall seeing any photos of Lamborghinis, so I wonder if I would be welcomed. Some Ferrari guys hate Lamborghinis, and I would not want to show up where I wasn't welcomed.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Ya is this Ferrari and friends, truly or selectively? I ask because I'm trying to be respectful. If it's like Kevin's Annual Lotus picnic, then awesome, I'm there as a Ferrari & Lotus nut.

But if little rally cars aren't preferred, then I can respect that.

Cheers,
Nawambo

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I remember seeing photos from this last year. However, I don't recall seeing any photos of Lamborghinis, so I wonder if I would be welcomed. Some Ferrari guys hate Lamborghinis, and I would not want to show up where I wasn't welcomed.
Every true car guy appreciates Lamborghinis. Some may prefer Ferraris more, but they respect Lamborghinis.

And a bright yellow Gallardo makes for great pics. :)

Chris, I wouldn't worry AT ALL. :)

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I believe there were two or three Lambos there last year, I THINK parked up near the entrance of the driveway.

Hey Pugg....that's your Exige in the pic!

Nawambo, I can't speak for the host and invite people to his house, but I can tell you he is most gracious, an outstanding host.

When you pull in, you're sort of directed where to park. There were a few hot rods, a few bikes, in addition to the vintage, exotics, and Lotus (a Noble was parked with the Lotus as well).

They sorta direct you where to park when you pull in, but as I recall it wasn't really strict.

The lower lawn was where they parked the 'daily drivers,' but there were some really nice cars down there, too.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Oh crap... I'll be in New Hampshire on vacation... Sorry I'll have to miss this event as it sounds like great fun...

However, if you've never cruised the roads in the mountains of New Hampshire, put it on a to-do list sometime... It's an unforgetable experience (just make sure it's in the Spring, Summer or Fall cause Winter sucks)...

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Ok. John is allowing me to come but I half to park my Lambo at the end of the driveway and work the gate. LOL.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I believe there were two or three Lambos there last year, I THINK parked up near the entrance of the driveway.
There was definitely a Gallardo parked at the entrance. I didn't see any others:

As far as I know anything even slightly interesting is fair game for this event. Bikes, exotics, classics, and more. Here we have an antique Ferrari parked next to a Navy deuce and a half:

This was a great time last year. Many more pictures, where you can see it's a real mixed bag of stuff.

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,688 Posts
Thanks, Jay

I've RSVP'd. We missed last year - didn't want to miss out this year!

·
Registered
775 Posts
This looks like a good event. Google maps has it taking 1 hour 20 min from Columbia, MD. What route did the Maryland owners take last year to get to the event?
Well there's only a few ways across the river when coming from central MD: DC beltway; Point of Rocks; or try for the ferry. I prefer the northern routes since the roads are so much more fun.

Last year I was in a rush to get there so I ended up on the beltway and toll roads. One thing of note is that it's basically impossible to reach the automated toll kiosks for Dulles while seated in an Elise. I had to open the door and get up on the sill.

I took a much more entertaining route back, rambling all over Montgomery and Howard counties. Some notes:
  • Furnace Mountain Road (VA side of Point of Rocks) is packed gravel with potholes probably deep enough to bottom out an Elise. It was passable but risky.
  • Ballenger Creek Pike (MD side of Point of Rocks) was a good one.
  • Peters Rd (north of Sugarloaf Mountain) is a washed-out farm road, thin enough that you can't turn an Elise around on it. AVOID! Someone actually came the other way and it took us several minutes to figure out how to get past each other.
  • I you want to see some sights: I had no problem driving up and around the Sugarloaf Mountain loop itself. The road was paved, smooth, and one-way. The only pothole/bump that might have been an issue was in one of the smaller wooded parking areas.
  • I know from previous explorations that Prices Distillery Rd near Green Valley is flooded. You can see it in the recent Google imagery. If you zoom out a bit you'll see that the map (and BTW my Garmin GPS) thinks its intact even though the bridge has apparently been gone for years.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I don't see one Ferrari -poke- :shrug:

·
Registered
354 Posts
The best way is to cross the river going to Waterford is at Brunswick, MD... Take the scenic route and use RT-180 to RT-79 to the bridge in Brunswick then cross the river and map it to Waterford, VA... That's the way I will go... It looks as if Gina and I will not be going to New Hampshire after all... So we will be attending the picnic... If there's a group that would like to meet up, I'll lead you on an extremely scenic and twisty route to Waterford... I've already done a backroads tour to Waterford in the past and it's extremely twisty and a lot of fun... Just let me know or signup here... Gina and I will start the list:

1: Gina (Elise California)
2: Ken (Porsche America Roadster)
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:

Just let me know and I'll edit the list...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll be there :) I emailed John and RSVP'd! Looks like a lot of fun!

1 - 20 of 110 Posts