The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ANNUAL SPRING EURO MEET, DRIVE & DINE
SUNDAY, JUNE 1st 9:30-11am MEET; 11:15am DEPART

MEETING PLACE: Starbucks - Milestone Shopping Center, Germantown, MD directions below...

INFO: It's once again time for the Annual Spring Euro Meet... Last year there were 103 cars at the meeting place and 48 made the drive... Let's see if we can top that this year... We will meet in the parking lot at Milestone Shopping Center by Borders Books and Starbucks... We will chat, exchange stories then head off for a spirited drive through upper Montgomery Co. & lower Frederick Co... The drive should last about 90 minutes or less... I've scoped out what will be a very challenging route with lots of open roads with lots of twisties!!! If you were on the Fall Drive then you know what I mean :)... Directions will be handed out to all prior to departing... We don't want anyone getting lost... We will end at the famous PB Dye Golf Club for lunch...

Directions to Starbucks Milestone:
Heading South on RT 270 from Frederick Area:
Get off at Exit 16 Father Hurley Blvd and turn left at the light at end of ramp… Take Father Hurley Blvd to entrance to Milestone Shopping Center on right… Pull into entrance and take first left or second left and proceed to Starbucks on left…

Heading North on RT 270 from RT 495:
Get off at Exit 16 Father Hurley Blvd and bear right on ramp toward Damascus … Take Father Hurley Blvd to entrance to Milestone Shopping Center on right… Pull into entrance and take first left or second left and proceed to Starbucks on left…

From RT 70 Baltimore Area:
Get off RT 70 at Exit 68 which is RT 27 Mt. Airy exit… Take RT 27 South through Damascus (stay on RT 27 as it takes a Right in Damascus ) and continue until you get to RT 355 Frederick Road… Take Left on RT 355 and proceed to first light and turn right into Milestone Shopping Center … Go to stop sign and turn right and you will see Starbucks…

From other areas: Use your GPS or favorite online mapping program and head to address:

Starbucks Milestone
20934 Frederick Road
Germantown , Maryland 20874
301-515-1084

·
Registered
148 Posts
Isn't that British Car Day at Lilypons?

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Yup, that's BCD. If the weather is good, this is generally the largest British car meet on the east coast. The DC Chapter Lotus Ltd folks will be there. In addition to the usual good turnout of Exige/Elise, will be several Esprits, a smattering of Elans and Europas, probably a Type 14 Elite or two, a couple 70's Elites, Seven's, and probably at least one of the X180R Esprit race cars.

In addition to a few hundred other British cars of all kinds.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Lilypons Show

Yes. I hate to say it, as the gent who puts on this show is a nice guy, but in my opinion this show's quality has declined drastically in just the past couple of years. Last year's event was so disappointing with so few participants, outside the MG club, that I don't intend to return. A nice drive sounds like a much better way to spend the day.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Yes. I hate to say it, as the gent who puts on this show is a nice guy, but in my opinion this show's quality has declined drastically in just the past couple of years. Last year's event was so disappointing with so few participants, outside the MG club, that I don't intend to return. A nice drive sounds like a much better way to spend the day.

Wasn't there a torrential downpour during last year's show? That kept the attendance down.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that day was pretty much a wash weather wise. I skipped it for that reason.

Two years ago there were at least 300 cars, Lotus was the featured marque, and there were at least 35 or more Lotus there, including a healthy number of older cars.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just like last year, they were both on the same day... So many events, so few weekends... We will probably drive right past there again at some point...

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Wasn't there a torrential downpour during last year's show? That kept the attendance down.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that day was pretty much a wash weather wise. I skipped it for that reason.

Two years ago there were at least 300 cars, Lotus was the featured marque, and there were at least 35 or more Lotus there, including a healthy number of older cars.
Last year it was threatening a down pour all day long, but, it was a constant drizzle the entire time. I will agree that it wasn't a great turn-out, but, I'm certainly going to give the show a try this year. I didn't realize how much was going on in the area every weeked car-wize. I'll have to add the run to my list for next year, so I know what the alternatives are.

Can't wait to see some pictures!

·
Registered
76 Posts

It did rain last year, I don't recall it being continuous or hard for the time I was there. I'm sure it had a negative effect on the turnout.

Two years ago there were fewer cars showing than three years ago. I think the cause for the perceived decline of this show is that there are so few categories of competition anymore. If I remember right, the categories were cut back beginning three years ago, causing numerous participants whose various marques are no longer recognized with their own award to stop coming.

For me, a more enjoyable "show" is the annual Howard County Lotus picnic. Not all British cars, but all exotic cars.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A week to go until the big event... From the responses from the various car clubs and forums we may top 200 cars... That will be awesome...

Here's the current weather outlook for next Sunday...

Sunday, Jun 1

High: 69 °F RealFeel®: 69 °F
Sunshine

Gina and I look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones... Hope to see you Sunday...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sunday
Jun 1

77°/59°F

Just the kind of weather forecast we needed for this event... Looks like it's going to be a great turnout based on the weather...

·
Registered
773 Posts
I actually wish the weather would be overcast (but NOT rainy). Or at least windy! Otherwise, I'm afraid I am obligated with my skydiving on weekends. :panic:

Oh well, and I just this moment finished up totally DETAILING my car, that she is probably even MORE BEAUTIFUL than the day I picked 'er up from the dealership! If that is possible.

See you guys instead then, maybe for the next one/next event somewhere, hopefully sometime soon.

Cheers,
-Grant

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm going to try to swing by, but I have to be back down in McLean by 1:00 to take my kids somewhere. What's the route you plan on taking? More specifically, will the group be heading North, South, East or West?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to try to swing by, but I have to be back down in McLean by 1:00 to take my kids somewhere. What's the route you plan on taking? More specifically, will the group be heading North, South, East or West?
The route will take us a little further north ending at the golf course around 1pm... Many come for the meet and not the drive...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts